RED EPIC drops to the floor! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old November 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Trustee

RED EPIC drops to the floor!

Seriously, just about! For a before and after look check this out: RED drops prices | hingsberg's blog
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: RED EPIC drops to the floor!

Down here in the basement it still looks pretty high up. But, yeah, big drop there. The Scarlet is starting to get down to its original intent as a pro-sumer competitive camera (starting to).
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Trustee

I dunno, $19k for the EPIC from $35k is a crazy drop. The Scarlet on the other hand is only a couple thousand less, but still pretty good. That pays for some of the accessories you would need to get it up and running...

Great time to be a filmmaker... now if we just had a script to shoot.
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Major Player

What will be the total cost of an EPIC ready to shoot package? Producer will be more interested in the total cost than whether it is EPIC or C500. And ofcourse reliability and service if you are shooting in locations.
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Trustee

You buy the brain, lens mount, LCD touch screen, and SSD Side module for the media. you will also need the media, and media reader to read the cards, lastly, power requirements - but you can go with a lot of alternative battery options like AB or IDX v-mount... .

$19k, $800, $1600, $1500, $950 (64gb + media reader), power is up to you.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 03:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Given the EPIC production figures that RED were talking about for their new factory, it's not really that surprising that the prices would have to drop once a certain market had approached its saturation level. It also follows what has happened in the past, I recall Betacam cameras dropping in price very suddenly on one occasion.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, the price adds up when you get into the EPIC world, but itīs worth it. I got my EPIC 18 months ago (together with my partner) and most of the cost is recouped. Do I wish I could have gotten it for the new price? Sure, but I would have lost out on 18 months of 5K joy!
Itīs a great time to be a film maker..

PS I have shot up to 500GB RED footage in one day, so you might want a bit more than 64GB of storage. The price on storage had a price drop just a few months ago though
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Trustee

I can definitely bet anyone would want more than a single 64GB card, but what I spec'd will at least get you started. (again excluding power)
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Major Player

This is really interesting to me. Anyone have thoughts on the ONE dropping to $4k? If there was a Canon mount version I'd be supremely interested... The scarlet is pretty high on my list, I think the fs700 might be an easier workhorse though as for the price I feel like 240fps is a more useful upgrade than RAW... Maybe I should just get the Epic which fills the niche of both :P

Question semi-related for you RED guys - I'm debating renting either a c300 or a scarlet for a commercial shoot I have in a few weeks, my main consideration is editing after. I'm used to editing DSLR footage, and I edit on a macbook pro. Is the c300 or RED footage going to kill me when I try to edit and render?

Thanks,
Evan
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Trustee

Yes this is my thought; look at the size of it in this Peter Jackson video. This is not for the "average" production that some of us typically work on. Something to really consider outside of price or specs... don't forget the other $4k in accessories, etc.. you will need to run it.

Peter Jackson sends a thank you to Red Digital Cinema from New Zealand - YouTube

Last edited by Dennis Hingsberg; November 9th, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
Question semi-related for you RED guys - I'm debating renting either a c300 or a scarlet for a commercial shoot I have in a few weeks, my main consideration is editing after. I'm used to editing DSLR footage, and I edit on a macbook pro. Is the c300 or RED footage going to kill me when I try to edit and render?
I think your main consideration is if you need RAW or not. You really need to grade the crap out of the image or not. If so RAW is best choice, if not go with C300.
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
... I'm debating renting either a c300 or a scarlet for a commercial shoot I have in a few weeks, my main consideration is editing after. I'm used to editing DSLR footage, and I edit on a macbook pro. Is the c300 or RED footage going to kill me when I try to edit and render?

Thanks,
Evan
C300 is pretty similar to DSLR footage - you can drag and drop and edit. It's really unbeatable for fast turnarounds with low budgets for broadcast work. I'm not a fan of the imagery, but I use it almost exclusively.

Scarlet will need more computer firepower, especially at the debayering and rendering stage. You will be spending more time. If budget and time isn't a concern, choose Scarlet. Rendering a commercial that is about a minute long shouldn't be a problem, but it will time at full resolution, depending on the effects involved and your particular laptop specs. The image is worth it, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Major Player

I am damn excited about the R1MX coming down to 4k... I know you need a ton of accessories to properly use it, but the starting price point for raw footage is damn low now. Have monitors, lenses, and soon tripod ready.

I will be buying one after christmas, using canon lenses on it, probably with a Birger or Allstar mount (depending on which ones available at the time, no more Birgers are being made), using the CF card module.

*edit* As a side note... no rental houses have responded to red's pricing drop up here in MTL - I called the other day to see if they fixed the pricing and they haven't yet. Still quoting me at 950/day just for an epic-m brain, nothing else.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
I will be buying one after christmas, using canon lenses on it, probably with a Birger or Allstar mount (depending on which ones available at the time, no more Birgers are being made), using the CF card module.
I believe they have sold out of them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema