DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/hd-uhd-2k-digital-cinema/)
-   -   New star rises over digital cinema – noX HD/2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/hd-uhd-2k-digital-cinema/91847-new-star-rises-over-digital-cinema-nox-hd-2k.html)

Marc O. Hardt April 19th, 2007 02:38 AM

New star rises over digital cinema – noX HD/2K

In accordance with Chris Hurd (DV Info Net initiator) we are proud to introduce noX, a digital cinema HD camera with highest-quality pictures never seen before.
Finally, digital cinema has reached the level of film in matters of picture quality.

Sometimes it's not about counting the pixels, but making the pixels count.

What is the noX? She is a full HD / 2K cinema camera and she produces astonishingly film-like pictures.

When we designed this camera we had several things in mind.
First of all we wanted her to take highest-quality film-like pictures.
Most current HD cameras take pictures which look like video, so we created a digital alternative for people using film.
Furthermore we wanted to find the fine balance between the resolution which is needed to look good on the big screen and the resolution which is still manageable without collecting loads of terabytes.
Finally we wanted to create a workflow which is easier, faster and more flexible so there is more time and energy to focus on what really counts - filming visual dreams.

In all sincerity: we did it.

Many HD cameras claim to produce beautiful film-like pictures, but to be honest – not many are able to keep this promise. Check out the sample stills of the noX to see that digital pictures can look like film, especially regarding skin, hair and DOF. Stop doing video – start doing photography again.

If you want to get more information please visit the website www.gsvitec.com. By the way, we’re spending our money on research and development, not on massive marketing and the production of renderings of a camera that does not yet fully exist. It’s not about producing hype – it’s about producing a useful camera.

You may ask, why we didn’t announce this camera on dvinfo before? Because we wanted her to be finished, so that dvinfo users can discuss about facts, not speculations or just announcements. noX is on the market, with orders starting now!

Marc O. Hardt

Tyson Perkins April 19th, 2007 02:46 AM

price? which is one of the most important details

Zack Vohaska April 19th, 2007 05:54 AM

Sounds exciting!

The stills on the site are beautiful! I haven't had a chance to completely go through the entire site, but so far, very impressive.

I agree with Tyson, however; price is the biggest factor here.

Simon Wyndham April 19th, 2007 06:47 AM

Certainly looks very promising. Price details would be good to know though, and whether that is a prototype body or whether one with slightly better ergonomics might be forthcoming?

Wes Vasher April 19th, 2007 06:55 AM

If it is "on the market" what is the price of the camera and the add-ons?

Seems it is the year of digital cinema cams.

Tyson Perkins April 19th, 2007 07:15 AM

I know i can count at least 8 different 2K cams coming out soon - beautiful time to be a filmmaker

Thomas Smet April 19th, 2007 09:01 AM

Not to be an ogre but how is this any different then Red or the Silicon Imaging camera?

I cannot find anything in the specs or based on the sample images that make this camera stand out as being better then those other cameras.

I would also like to learn what the price is for this camera. I do like what I see with it so far but it isn't anything I have not seen before.

Steve Benner April 19th, 2007 10:58 AM

This is all good news, but Red is at the top it seems. The real question is price and codec? I can't wait for their hand held!

Dylan Couper April 19th, 2007 12:56 PM

The only feature I don't see that I want is overcranking ability.

This could be a contender if the price is right, but it would have to be considerably cheaper than RED or SI. If this came out in the $10-12k range, could be pretty interesting. Otherwise, there's a lot of serious competition.

Ben Winter April 19th, 2007 01:13 PM

Kind of disappointing it's got that boxy, unrefined look...and only does 8 bit, which hampers the 12-stop latitude claim...I'd rather have compressed 10-bit than uncompressed 8-bit.

Of course none of this matters without a price, the key factor. Marc, until you give us a big fat number in bold with a $ in front of it, we might as well be discussing dirty socks in laundry hampers.

If it's anything above $13k, it'll be yawn-and-move-on for me.

Dylan Couper April 19th, 2007 01:22 PM

Actually, I kind of like the boxy look. Reminds me of a film camera. :)

You are right about the price point though.

Michael Maier April 20th, 2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Winter (Post 663370)
If it's anything above $13k, it'll be yawn-and-move-on for me.

So you can move on already. I'm pretty sure this won't be that cheap. Specially that they are in Germany and the Euro is so much stronger than the Dollar. $13k is about 9,600 Euros. The XL-H1 sells for that.
Quite honestly if the SI cost 20k I don't think this needs to be that cheap in comparison, but I know, people want cheap.
Wrong line of business.

Kevin Shaw April 20th, 2007 10:38 PM

How would one go about editing the footage from this camera?

Levan Bakhia April 21st, 2007 01:31 AM

OK, this looks like what came after DRAKE, remember there was a big thread about drake here on DVINFO. DRAKE was also in Germany, near Frankfurt, and the picture of the office in the About Us, looks very familiar, I think I was at exactly that office when DRAKE people have gave me a Demo of the camera.

Is that correct?

and also what is the sensor size ?

Glenn Gipson April 21st, 2007 06:29 AM

If this camera is not significantly cheaper than RED, than it's D.O.A.