Helping Hands from 2004 - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old September 15th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #481
Slash Rules!

I've got your solution: You wear a REALLY big hat, and you cut a hole in it, and you have the VX2000 (strapped to your head, of course) peeking through. Bingo! Hands free hidden camera show. When you have to change tapes, you say, "Uh, I gotta go to the bathroom" (or something).

Another thing you might consider is filling a niche. Do you know how many strange fetish movies there are these days? They even have movies where people get tickled (for real). So, I'm thinkin' "plumber's crack movies". Start a whole new genre. . .create a whole new fetish/perversion that people didn't even know they had. You'll rake in millions.

I ought to be living in NY/NJ pretty soon, and if I have a project, you can pull cables for me or whatever. I'll be one of those guys I just told you not to work for because I'm basically just a schmoe with camera taking advantage of a guy willing to work for free. If that doesn't dissuade you, however, then groovy. Can't get more honest than that.
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #482
Regular Crew

1.6x in Toronto (to borrow)

I'm heading away on a shoot and spent all my money getting my Xl1s fixed, and have no money to buy necessary equipment.

I'm looking for someone in Toronto who may be interested in swapping equipment from time to time. I have lots of the cool gadgets for the Xl1, but what I really need for the shoot is a 1.6x extender

In return, I can always lend batteries, a 3x lens, and if we really trust each other, my 35-350 EOS lens.

So let me know if your an XL1s owner, and would mind lending gear.

email me at michaelds@(remove)digitalcrossing.ca
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #483
New Boot

HI I'm George! I live in Harrisonburg, Virginia. I work at a local PBS station here in town.We mainly do documentaries and live studio work. I shoot and edit a lot of stuff on the side as well. I have a JVC dv5000 and a JVC HD1. I edit on Sony Vegas. I am a whiz with After effects. I am also trying to learn Animation Master, and Bryce 5. I am not too close to Williamsburg, but I thought I would send you a line regardless. Virginia videographers have to stick together. lol
My e-mail is lillypalooza@aol.com
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #484
Major Player

Need Volunteers For National Project

Thought I'd let everyone knpow about a very worthwhile project called "Timeless Voices." It's an effort to collect the stories of aviators of all types for the EAA, or "Experimental Aircraft Association." It's a great way to do some meaningful video production and have your contributions be seen by thousands.

Goals of Timeless Voices of Aviation
- To collect thousands of first person video oral history recordings from individuals who have impacted aviation's development.
- To document and preserve these recordings for future generations of family members, teachers, students, historians and others.
- To make the recordings accessible through an on-line video history archive, and initiatives such as Museum displays and TV productions._
- To engage thousands of volunteers in the rewarding process of gathering video oral history recordings.

Being a member, and a contributor, I've enjoyed shooting interviews of people with powerful stories. Personally, I've been trying to get interviews with the older guys who flew in WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. The WWII veterans are passing away at a rate of over 1200 a day. Some of my video is on display at the museum in Oshkosh.

Please visit the website at:
<http://www.timelessvoices.org/>

It's easy to find people to interview. Check the EAA website for a local chapter, and make a call or visit your local airfield and ask around. That old guy sitting on the front porch of the flight service building has some amazing stories. You just never know.
I hope you'll consider it. Thanks,

Jeff Patnaude
Fly Baby N357G
<http://home.comcast.net/~patnaude/flybaby.html>
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #485
Regular Crew

Hot Import Nights - Need A Response Now!

My company is currently looking for someone who wants a free press pass to Hot Import Daze San Mateo. In exchange for their video services. Basically you'd be taking video of Bikini Contest, Models, and Cars. All we need is a copy of the tapes you produce and you may do whatever you want with your tapes after.

If anyones intrested this is not for pay, you get a press pass to Hot Import Daze on Oct 2nd in San Mateo (hotimportdaze.com) This could lead to future job offerings with my company.

Please have your own equip prefered VX2000 or higher level of video equip. Doesn't have to be so professional where your carrying 3 bags of equip. If you want you may bring your audio equip to do interviews. I prefer someone who is between the ages of 16-32, the show is from 12-7pm i would need you their for atleast 4 hours, if not 6 hours.

I will provide the tape needed to dub the tapes.

Let me know by 3pm today sorry for the late notice! Email me alexk@racesauce.com, I don't need flakers or idiots emailng me asking questions if you are up for it and you have time on your calendar mark that time for this event and confirm it with me.

I need your full name and what equip you have and how long you are you are willing to stay/shoot for.

-alexk@racesauce.com
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #486
Trustee

Jeez, Bass. You are one funny m***er f****r. I am in the middle of viewing your reel now. What part of Jersey will be be visiting?
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #487
Major Player

I'm in Fredericksburg...

Hello...
Old September 16th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #488
Slash Rules!

Whereever there be cheap apartments (thinkin' Hoboken or somewheres). Got any work for me? Know anyone who does? I'm hittin' people up.

Now, let's not take this thread away from Brian.
Old September 16th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #489
Major Player

Robert
Old September 16th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #490
Slash Rules!

Damn. Robert. Sorry.

I'm sure that really helps validate my arguments.
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #491
Regular Crew

I'm in VA Beach. Nothing to put on your reel until later next spring, but wanted to say hello anyway. :)

BTW- Does anyone know of a hungry DP in our area? If he light it and work it I'll give him a DVX100 and mini35+ lenses to play with for a few days.

(as long as he works for me for a few days too LOL)
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #492
Trustee

Forget Hoboken, Joshua.

It's becoming very yuppy. Very expensive to live there. Unless, of course, you have money. Maybe Robert can put you up? I bet you'll never have any plumbing issues in your apartment. If you shoot anything in South Jersey like the Atlantic City and surrounding area, look me up. I have pretty much the same equipment setup as you plus alot of lighting.

Robert, if you have time and you want to actually get involved in a project, who knows, maybe Josh, you and I can collaborate and shoot something in the NY/NJ area. Three camera setups are always fab. If you need a police car, police station or two I can probably swing that as well.

Hey Bravo, did you check out Josh Bass's "reel"? He's pretty damned good. I'm a bit jealous.

Robert, check out Bass's website and let that be inspiration for you in your creative digital endeavors. I bet Josh devoted himself to honing his craft by doing doing doing. That's the only way it gets done. Pick up your camera and use it.

I have my very first lesbian wedding video this Saturday. (I kid you all not. I am hoping to break into a brand new "niche" with this one. I may even put "Alternative Lifestyle Friendly" on my business cards! BWWAAA HAAA HAA HAA HHHAAAA!)

Let's see how long it takes for Bravo to call me with his ball bustin' questions like "Hey Hugh, can I come up and be your assistant?" or "Hey Hugh, are you shooting the honeymoon for free?" The, er, "groom" used to be a Playboy Bunny and the bride is a concert pianist. The clock is ticking. Tick... tick... tick...
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #493
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info , this type of work interests me very much as I am starting to do Video Biographies for people. I have checked out the timeless voices website for info.
I work at the VA hospital in Cincinnati so I have access to a large number of Vets so it should not be hard to find some to interview.
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #494
Major Player

Thanks Samuel!
I've been told by Zach Baughman (hope I remember the spelling here) that they are looking to have a television program in the future on one of the Discovery Channles- probably "Wings." They do several shows currently.

Jeff :>)
Old September 17th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #495
Slash Rules!

Let's continue the Josh Bass devoted portion of our discussion in Private (I won't hit on you. . .maybe), and let Robert (Brian, who's Brian?) retake this thread. And now you've invited Mr. Bravo's criticism of my reel. . .my world is crashing down around me. I fear Mr. Bravo will tear me apart.

Anyway, Bob, I suggest a multiple route, if it's really what you want. You can use your cam to do stuff, and PA on bigger stuff, and steal the secrets from the big stuff and apply it to your stuff, if possible.

To reiterate, on working for free with the cam, I state one last time that in my experience, if you don't outright lie, you won't be hired for anything you're not qualified for. Let's say you misrepresent yourself on your resume. Most people want to see a reel. So, let's say your borrow so and so's reel, who's awesome, and say it's yours. Chances are they're going to want to meet with you and discuss the project prior to just hiring you outright. During such meeting, you will sound like dumbass who doesn't know anything, because you faked your resume and are in possession of a reel that wasn't done by you, and your prospective employers will think "Hmm. . .good res and reel, but what a dumbass," and you won't be hired. The people that will hire you won't have enough pull to get you blackballed or blacklisted or whatever. Anyway, lots of fools continue to make money even though they suck (see threads on this forum about amateuring incompetent wedding videographers, for instance), and you don't sound like a fool. If you know how to use that gear, that's half the battle. Now you have to get the craft part of it down--the artistic technique. Now go make your "Plumbers Gone Wild" video, and pull cable on "Resident Evil 3: Why Did We Make This?" in the meantime.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands