Helping Hands from 2004 - Page 44 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old December 12th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #646
Wrangler

Spelled "Dufresne", pronounced "Dufrain" I do believe--French-Canadian descent? (this goes back to vague memories of the original novella)
Old December 13th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #647
Trustee

John,
I'm in Pembroke Pines ( about 1 hour south of you). I sent you an email, but am not sure if you got it. I'd be interested in talking to you about business ideas, etc. ( i have an xl2, sound and lighting gear).
Bruce yarock
954-431-0940
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #648
New Boot

Bruce:

just checked, got it!

going to wellington green right now, ill call you as soon as i get home around lunchtime.

thanks man.

John
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #649
Trustee

John,
Good talking to you. Let's get together.
Bruce Yarock
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #650
Inner Circle

Since there was no reply, I have a comment.

There is a big difference between a few locals wanting to get together and make a movie, and not paying themselves or postponing paying themselves, and a professional company coming in and asking for free talent.
It's wrong.
It's also called mooching.
I and others have noticed at places like mandys and craigslist there is a disturbing trend of production companies trying to use the 'you''ll get credit' line to avoid paying people. I'm not talking about beginner PA jobs, but DPs,camera operators, actors, grips, audio people... They are not even offering points, which is the least one should do. BTW I'm not refering to Student Films, or amateurs just out to have some fun.
Even ultra small independent features have to pay talent and crew if they get commercial distribution.
If you don't think SAG or a State Attorney General will come after you, think again.

Every state in the union has labor laws. If you are a 'for profit' company, you should find out what they are and abide by them. Trying to get people to sign waivers doesn't cut it either. Thats why they have the laws in the first place.

I don't mean to sound harsh, just don't like seeing people taken advantage of.
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #651
New Boot

2 Live Shooters needed in Nashville, TN

Need 2 video camera operators for an all day corporate event shoot in Nashville, TN on April 23, 2005.

Camera Op 1 needs to supply video camera package with tripod. JVC DV-5000 camera preferred. Camera Op 2 will be supplied a JVC DV-5000 for hand held live shoot. Live event experience needed. Positive attitude a must. Please email your rate, gear, resume and experience. Please no phone calls.
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #652
Rextilleon

Video Production Opportunities

I just sold my share of a company and I am looking for someone with experience who would like to help grow a new video production company I am thinking of forming. This would be located in the NY-tri-state area.

Respondent should have experience in one or more of the following: corporate, educational, theatrical or legal video.
It would also help if the person had some connections. My idea is to differentiate ourselves from the rest of the market by offerring quality at a reasonable price.

This is either a buy in opportunity or a purchase over time opportunity. That means that you don't have to bring capital to the table, but if you dont have capital, you should have something to bring to the table ie. connections, experience etc. Anyhow, anyone interested can contact me at rextilleon@google.com.
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #653
New Boot

Need a composer in the D.C area

Greetings,

Mercurius Films is searching for a composer in the Washington, D.C area to score a soundtrack for a 5 minute short, "The Cemetery". This will be a paid gig.

Mercurius Films' previous production, "Hunter's Quandary", was accepted into the 2004 Rhode Island International Film Festival.

If interested, please contact Anthony Faust at anthonyfaust@hotmail.com.
Old December 15th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #654
Regular Crew

Looking for Help - movie distribution

Hey all,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this question or if anyone will be able to help at all, but since the talent and experience in this forum is quite vast, I thought it may be a good starting point.

I have a client in Bangor, Maine who is looking to transform a part of his building into a single movie theater to compliment his entertainment complex. We're looking into running "second run" movies for cost and local competition reasons.

Any idea who to talk with in regards to a booker or broker for second run movie distribution in Maine (I'm guessing it would be a New England rep..probably out of Mass.)

I've been all over the web and the online phone directories and can't seem to get a lead. I have left a message for an owner of a nearby second run movie place, but for obvious reasons, I'd like to circumvent that conversation if at all possible.

I'll check this room for any replies, but if you do have any information, I'd love it if you could shoot me an email: info@cmweston.com

Thanks in advance for your help!

-cary weston
www.cmweston.com
Old December 15th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #655
Regular Crew

Gary,

to show movies publicily, you'll need to recieve a public showing licenses for each film (ie a way for the studios to collect their share)

several major firms that handle these licenses include:
swank motion pictures
Criterion Pictures
Motion Picture licensing Corporation

check them out on-line or call them...

good luck!
~Mike
Old December 15th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #656
Regular Crew

I understand your concern

Hey

I understand your concern. I should have worded that differently.

Tell ya what, I will re-word the post.

Not Seeking Pros- Only great additude.

Pay= fun + credits + food and drinks + get to hang out in top recording studio in the country. Sorry, we are over budget and cant pay so there is NO MONEY :

The 3-5 day shoot will take place over a 2 week period 1-5-2005 to 1-25-2005 and will be shot sporadically depending on scheduling variables. Those who commit must be able to be somewhat flexible but we are making every effort to execute the shoot in consecutive days beginning on the 5th.

We are seeking 1 general crew and mainly someone to help with the dolly. Those who are chosen will be guaranteed production credits in the movie. You can also bring your camera if you want and do some shooting. MTV shakey + blown out Cam/footage OK!
Dont have to be DVX user. We already have 2 DVX cams so whatever you shoot would be "behind the scenes" and only for your non-comercial use.

Thank You

Kent

Kagi Media
900 1st Avenue South
Suite #409
Seattle Wa
USA

Phone (206) 625-8681

jkagi@kagimedia.com
http://kagimedia.com
Old December 16th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #657
Regular Crew

Thank you, Mike.

Those sources you list look like they specialize in non commerical viewing, like schools, churches, etc.

I have sent them emails hoping they can point me in the right direction for my commerical establishment needs.

I have seriously been all over the web and still cannot find a source showing me how to establish a commerical theater and what licenses I'll need along with distributors of films.

-cary
www.cmweston.com
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #658
Major Player

Have you tried calling a "second run" theater somewhere (not Maine) and asking them for a contact? Why not just call a major distributor and ask them? Or maybe an Entertainment law attorney? He will likely give you a free answer in the hope that when you get going you hire him to do the legal work. Phone, not email !!!
Old December 16th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #659
Inner Circle

Now if you had added 'you will get to hang with half naked models who will be appearing in the video' you'd of been overwhelmed with offers. hehehe
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #660
Regular Crew

OK Joe

thanks for the help.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands