DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Warbirds Over Wanaka - Video/ Sound etc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/109813-warbirds-over-wanaka-video-sound-etc.html)

Chris Soucy December 8th, 2007 09:18 PM

Warbirds Over Wanaka - Video/ Sound etc

Not sure if this the place to post this, but here goes anyway.......

I'm currently trying to get my production company (THEHDV.Co) accredited with the organisers of WOW to "do" an HD documentary of the event.

www.warbirdsoverwanaka.co.nz

It was only having made first contact that the full enormity of the task really sunk in.

100,000 people, nearly 100 aircraft, three straight days.

Being a "one man and his dog" (sans dog) operation, I'm outgunned from the off. Then a thought struck - if I can't scrounge a dozen videographers/ sound people etc from the ranks of DVinfo, I ain't trying.

OK, so the deal is this. I need extra cameras (HD), supports, sound gear, you name it PLUS people who know how to use it. Anyone with a spare OB truck would be most welcome as well (hey, John McCully, what you doing over Easter?). For the purposes of this production, everyone works under the HDV.Co banner, the resultant video is pooled (somehow) and everybody "owns" a piece of the final production.

I can provide transport to/ from Wanaka, accomodation in Wanaka (up to a point, and if this gets really out of hand I'm going to have to resort to tents pitched in the back yard - I jest not!), full access to all areas of the Warbirds site (under THEHDV.Co accred).

YOU provide yourself & gear at a location where I can collect you (Dunedin would be good), living expenses and air fares to/ from Dunedin.

You will need to sign a disclaimer with the organisers to the effect that having a plane land on you is just your bad luck on the day.

As we're in PAL land I'm currently planning on shooting in 50i, which is a bit of a bugger for you NTSC bods, unless anyone knows a way to seamlessly mix 50/ 60i (I don't). Another issue if you're tempted from the States is to ensure all electrics will work on 240Volts / 50Hz.

Don't rush out and get you're visas/ plane tickets just yet - but I do need to know numbers ASAP so that I can update the WOW organisers with our bigger turn out.

I do need to stress that this isn't a freeby few days out so you can play at videographer - I really want people who know what they're doing and can "bring home the bacon", on the other hand, if you've never shot "pro" in your life but think you could, with a bit of help, give it some thought. The more cameras we can throw at this thing, the better it will be.

Wanaka has, I believe, a permanent population of only 3,500, so you can imagine what happens when 100,000 punters descend on it - chaos. If you're a Kiwi and have access to a camper van, then it'll save you from a tent.

There's probably a couple of thousand things I haven't thought of yet, so any suggestions gratefully received.

CS

Chris Soucy December 8th, 2007 10:01 PM

Warbirds Over Wanaka gear.....

What I'm bringing to the party:

Cameras:

Canon XH A1, Canon HV20, Nikon D80 DSLR

Support:

Vinten FibreTech sticks, Manfrotto 520 sticks, Manfrotto 528XB sticks, Manfrotto Monopod, Vinten Vision 3 head, Manfrotto 503 head. Hague J12 jib, Hague camera car mount system.

Sound:

Sennheiser 64, 66, 67 mics. Sennheiser EW100 G2 system with Lav, second receiver, Zoom H4 digital recorder, Rycote everything for the mics. Boom pole, 2 mic stands, heaps of assorted mic holders, cables and stuff.

Other:

Nikon 1200S LRF (Laser rangefinder).

What's needed:

Shed loads more!

CS

Chris Soucy December 9th, 2007 03:59 AM

No One?

Not a singular solitary one?

Staggered doesn't even describe it.

CS

Sam Doyle December 9th, 2007 04:34 AM

Chris Hi,

I may just be interested, I am based in Wellington I do a fair amount of work for the RNZAF Museum and have a few contacts in the aviation game.

I have a staff of two, a sound engineer and general helper.

I have a JVC GYHD101, firestore, tripod, mics etc. I may even be able to get another camera.

Sam

Andy Wilkinson December 9th, 2007 10:35 AM

This sounds brilliant...pity I'm (usually) on the other side of the globe. Good luck Chris and what a great idea!

Carl Middleton December 9th, 2007 11:31 AM

I'd show up with my Z1 if it wasn't such an expensive ticket from Florida :)

Carl

Dennis Murphy December 9th, 2007 12:54 PM

Hi Chris...
I'm in Whangarei - have an XHA1.
I would be interested in more details as to what you will expect over the 3 days etc and what plans you have for the doco.
I'd consider myself semi-pro and looking for opportunities to expand on my craft.

Cheers,
Dennis.

John McCully December 9th, 2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 789492)
hey, John McCully, what you doing over Easter?

Right now I'm planning on being in Mexico but that's not cast in bronze, yet. Great project; if I'm around I am interested. PM on the way.

Chris Soucy December 9th, 2007 06:23 PM

Thanks guys........

Sounds like we might just be able to make this work, tho' some more bods would sure be usefull.

Sam, Dennis - great, I really hope you guys can make it.

Plans for the shoot?

Well, I've asked the WOW oganisers for a detailed layout of the site (with a geographical locator so we can figure out where the sun's going to be for each hour of the day), what's going to be where, where we can and can't go, and a shed load of other stuff I thought pertinent from the off.

I've also asked for relevant air to air & ground to air frequencies we can monitor/ record for additional soundtrack I/P. I reckoned I'd get a direct audio feed from the commentators box, and a feed from my scanner and feed the pair into the Zoom H4 (that alone will require a dedicated-ish operator to ensure both feeds are OK and we don't run out of memory cards).

I'm also looking into a "beg/ borrow/ steal/ hire" arrangement for a couple of "lifts" (cherry pickers) that are both suitably quiet and smooth to use as elevated camera platforms - those and the Hague jib will get rid of that "ants eye view" problem.

As for "what to shoot", the list so far is:

Relevant interviews (think I'll need to source some lights and an interview location) Pilots/ organisers/ enthusiasts etc

Multiple shots of all parked aircraft (lots of jib/ cherry picker work there) - oh, I do also have the Hague dolly/ rail system for traverse shots which might come in handy here! Cockpit close ups, the whole box of dice.

At least two diferent (full time) camera locations monitoring anything & everything taking off/ landing/ doing fly by's/ stunts, more if they are available - hey, who wants the "just off centre" job at the head/ end of the runway? (I'll supply the hard hat). Might need a third cherry picker (a BIG one) to get some "look down" shots of low flying craft (my wallets starting to get edgy!).

The list lengthens every time I think about it.

My biggest concern is just what to do with all the tapes? We're going to be literaly buried alive in them. So far I haven't been able to come up with anything better than each camera op takes his own tapes and uses the shooting camera to download, should minimise dropout/ transcription problems. How we then assemble all data in one place is a nightmare I haven't felt able to face. Suggestions?

So far by my simple arithmetic, I'm up to seven (7) camera crews and climbing.

Joy.

All suggestions on the whole project welcome.

Keep those entries rolling in boys and girls.

CS

PS. My missus thinks I'm completely deranged.

Chris Soucy December 9th, 2007 07:12 PM

A couple of things....I missed.

John,

for all the right reasons I hope your Mexico trip falls through, that OB Bus of yours would have come in sooo usefull.

Sam,

Do you think the RNZAF Museum would like a piece of this? Don't know how, what or in what capacity, but at this stage I'll take all the help/ support/ pull I can get. May even give me some more traction with the WOW organisers.

All,

Have been informed that the biggest problem (apart from actually getting this thing to fly at all) is going to be DUST! It's going to be the end of what is shaping up to be a long, hot, dry summer and the valley floor that Wanaka airfield is built on is 200 metres deep of good 'ol terminal morain from historic glaciers, ergo, water on the surface goes straight though and vanishes.

Bottom line, the airfield (or rather, the surrounding "grass" covering) is going to be a dust storm in the making in even the slightest breeze.

Joy.

CS

Chris Soucy December 9th, 2007 11:46 PM

Oh, and another thing............

Seeing as how this is, sort of, my baby (so to speak) forget the bit earlier about "living expenses" for the duration.

A "frank and open exchange of views" with the missus has resulted in my decision to say "it's on me, guys" with ONE small proviso.........

I absolutely, categorically, definately will not pick up anyone's bar tab (even my own if I can help it, and that can be one mother of a tab!).

So, it's on me from the moment you arrive till the end of the shoot (sob).

If anyone wants to stay on in Wanaka after the shoot, hire a car and do a bit of sight seeing, we can probably sort that as well (accomodation wise anyway - heck, we own the house!).

Now if that doesn't suck in a few more hopefulls, nothing will.

CS

Chris Soucy December 9th, 2007 11:52 PM

And another...........

Anyone want to hold their hand up to actually edit this monster?

I wouldn't even dare.

Hmm, could be a bit of a problem.

CS

Sam Doyle December 10th, 2007 04:38 AM

Chris Hi,

I am with my client tomorrow in CHCH(tues) so will sound them out to see if there is any cross-over. I think some of the Museum board members are connected in some way, so I will find out and get back to you.

S

Andrew J Morin December 10th, 2007 09:54 AM

I might be able to help with your post-process.

I'm not a shooter, and I'm in the antipode camp (Chicago), but I've done some long-distance (from Western Oz) post-video work before-- we hired one of those FTP hosting web-sites ("yousendit.com" is one, there seem to be many others) and up/downloaded everything back & forth. Might cost a few hundred bucks to score one of those with unlimited bandwidth, but probably worth it, as it sounds like you're expecting terrabytes of data...unless you happen to have that much hard drive space available.

lot of luck,
andy

Philip Gioja December 10th, 2007 10:11 AM

Sent you an email.