Helping Hands from 2009 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #181
New Boot

Ex-1 in The Woodlands

Hey David It' Mike Canion, here. Sorry I haven't got back in touch with you lately. I've been a little busy.

I have an EX-1 available for rent. And I live here in The Woodlands.

Just let me know when you need it and what you need with it (tripods, lights, etc.)

The best way to contact me is through my email or cell phone.

QGP@inbox.com
713 898-6025

Thanks,
Michael Canion
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #182
Regular Crew

sorry wrong coast..disregard.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #183
Major Player

Just sent you an email.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #184
Regular Crew

Allow me to work for you (for free)

This summer, after graduating high school, I’m going to be doing a solo extended travel around the U.S. living in my car. While on the trip, I want to work on as many shoots as possible (narrative, doc, commercial), and I’ll gladly do it for free. The goal is to gain experience and meet as many of you as possible. I’m willing to stay in one location for a month or more working on a feature, or just help out on set for a day.

The only experience I have on 35mm sets is as an electrician. I worked as an electrician intern on Ex-Terminators (shot in Austin, TX) for about 20 days, and that’s the only time I’ve worked on what I consider a “big set.” I learn quickly and am glad to work as any position; I just might be asking lots of questions in the beginning.

Aside from that, I’ve worked as various crew positions on about a dozen short films and documentaries. I’ve been camera operator, boom operator, gaffer, grip, 2nd AC, loader (I’ve only loaded with the Arri SR2), steadicam op, and PA. I have lots more to learn in every department, so I’m happy with any position I can get.

Anyway, if you think there’s a chance that I could be useful on anything you are working on, please let me know. I’ll probably bump this thread once the trip begins, so if you don’t have anything planned now, maybe you will then.

Also, if you’re interested, you can check out the travel blog at Drewott’s Travel Blog. It’s not geared toward filmmaking, but you’ll be able to follow where I am if you want to meet or work with me. The trip hasn’t started yet because I’m still a senior in high school. I think I'm going to leave in July.

One more thing: I wasn’t planning on bringing any gear, but I own a Canon XHA1, so maybe I’ll bring that in case anybody is interested in shooting something with it.

My email is DrewOtt@DesolateFilms.net

-Drew Ott
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #185
Major Player

Need HDV shooter in San Antonio, TX

Anyone in San Antonio that wants a quick gig next week?

I need someone to shoot some very brief testimonials at a training session for one of my clients. Incredibly easy shoot, just have to get some talking heads. Should be in and out in under an hour.

Would need an HDV cam, lapel mic, and lights. I can provide some examples of stuff already shot for this client.

Shoot would be either the 14th or 15th of May.

Let me know if interested and rates.

bryanmc @ gmail.com
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #186
Regular Crew

Congratulation Andrew for finishing your high school and your trip this summer.

I don't even have a quarter of the experience in video you have(never worked on a big set)
but I never and will never work for free.
Website like Crai...list are full of jobs for people who wants to work for free.
When I watch the job offers in New york city, most of the producer hires only interns or volunteers that have their own video cameras.
I am not doing a critic of your choice or way of gaining experience but I see a lot of people
ready to work for free.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #187
Major Player

Honestly, this is exactly the mentality you need to have when building a network. By waiving petty equipment fees and day rates that probably amount to a couple hundred dollars, you make strong business connections that will eventually be worth thousands. Let me know if you find yourself in either the LA or Washington, D.C. areas and I can point you towards some colleagues.

Cooperation, not competition, is how you make it in "the biz." Working for free is more of a gesture in that direction.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #188
Regular Crew

Thanks for the kind words.

I think working for free is an important part of gaining experience. If I wanted my first job on a film set to be paid, I would have never found any work -- especially with my age. I understand and agree with you that everybody should be compensated for work in some way, but to me the experience is more valuable than money, at least in the beginning stages.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #189
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
Honestly, this is exactly the mentality you need to have when building a network. By waiving petty equipment fees and day rates that probably amount to a couple hundred dollars, you make strong business connections that will eventually be worth thousands. Let me know if you find yourself in either the LA or Washington, D.C. areas and I can point you towards some colleagues.

Cooperation, not competition, is how you make it in "the biz." Working for free is more of a gesture in that direction.
Yes, this is sort of what I'm trying to get at. I realize there's no way for me to make connections by saying "Hey... will you pay me to work, even though you don't know who I am and I don't have much of a resume?"

Anyway, I really enjoy working on sets so working for free doesn't feel anything like work to me. I'm traveling through LA for sure, so I'll contact you then. Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #190
Regular Crew

re: 2nd XHA1 shooter

I just sent you an email.
Thanks,
James F
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #191
Regular Crew

Your way of finding work is probably good, and its the way new generation do business,
everything for free: music,movies,advertising,newspaper etc. In the same time all the media business is falling down because there is not enough revenue. Just look that nobody wants to pay, including the new producers. I will have to get use to it because asking a salary is so ”80s”(just a joke)
Keep us in touch with your trip and your progression in the busine$$
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #192
Inner Circle

My guess is that you will also chronicle your adventure to-camera frequently. There is a good little story in that depending on how far you want to take it.

Some film sets are closed to crew cameras. Take care to enquire beforehand if you want some happy snaps and of course do not let this activity cause fault to your work.

Good luck on your journey and enjoy.

It probably would not hurt to blog your adventure on this site every week or so. Be mindful to check with any ADs on a project that it is okay to do so and to draw the line on what information is allowed to go out. Some may be happy for all the free publicity they can get, others may want to stay quiet until a time of their choosing.

(Young people these days - all the upfront confidence in the world or putting up a good front. Regardless, the world is not doomed for lack of motivation in the current generation).
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #193
Regular Crew

How far South are you? I am on the North Coast but my folks live in Shellharbour and I am down there a bit
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #194
Regular Crew

Midwest Shooter w/Cam

Hi,

Need a shooter with experience and this years NAB Best of Show cam the JVC HM700?

Call for day rate quote.

Edwards Video Productions
30 Harmon Drive
Lebanon, IL. 62254
Introducing Edwards Video Productions, Corporate, Legal, Internet/Web, Graphics, Wedding, Event, Consumer Video and Conversions
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #195
Major Player

Need SD-Card Wedding Shooter in Phoenix

1-2 Saturdays per month in peak seasons. Send me a PM with a demo. Thanks!
If you can hand me SD cards t the end of he night, that's a huge plus. We'll provide the cards of course. Let me know what cam you have and other gear that might be helpful.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands