Helping Hands from 2009 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #91
Tourist

Studio Consultant - Connecticut

Turning a storage area into an studio with editting, vo recording, and a small set, looking for help planning and designing the space.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM   #92
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Howard View Post
vigorously frolicking
Is this even possible :) ... seriously though.

I looked at your reel Tristan and from what I saw it's really good. However, the stream bogged down at the goose fight. Most people who would hire you (including me) would stop right there and move on. It doesn't matter how good your reel is if people have a hard time viewing it, and yours looks very good.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:13 AM   #93
Regular Crew

is it audio, video or both? If its audio, I can help. I live in bridgeport and had a recording studio for 15 years. let me know what I can assist you with.
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #94
Major Player

David - I sent you an email.
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #95
Major Player

Videograper Need for 3/8/09

Looking for a videgrapher for 3/8/09 in Glenside PA. This is right outside the Philadelphia area. The shoot is from 6:00 to 8:00pm. You do not need to have your own camera but being familer with the Canon XHA1 would be helpful but not mandatory. Must have experience.
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Jonathan,

Thanks for your generously thorough and lengthy response. Yeah, there seem to be endless possibilities for success. Persistence and dedication are what can make the possibilities pay off, but I know it’s not easy. I don’t think someone can casually decide to be a wildlife filmmaker and then get an ideal job or production contract anytime soon. Luckily, I have years of experience and I’ve learned a lot from mistakes and successes. Now, I’m trying to meet people in the business, learn more, and hopefully get my foot in the door, hold it open, and jump in before it closes.

Your comments about equipment make sense. I still need to learn more about manual settings like zebra stripes, exposure, etc. I’ve been running a largely one-man show with cinematography, still photography, sound recording, script writing, editing, web design, publicity, job hunting, etc. and I don’t always devote as much attention to certain things as I should. I’m pretty darn confident with many aspects of the production process, but I do think taking more time to learn my equipment and learn the business would be beneficial before I land a good job. About a month ago I was in a big hurry to get a job, but if I got a responsibility-laden job and made a big mistake because of lack of experience, that could sabotage some of my goals.

Your points about apprenticing make plenty of sense. Currently, I’m learning more about certain individuals/companies for whom I’d want to work and I’m reading up on the business. Because of my parents’ generous support, I could afford to intern with little to no pay. I’m hoping to get some sort of work experience this summer and also want to attend the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival. One of my films will screen at a small-scale film festival in Redding, CA on March 15 and I’ll be there for a brief intro. I also entered my documentaries in the International Wildlife Film Festival, but won’t attend because it coincides with my last week of school. Anyway, I’m working on making myself available and getting my name out.

I think I understand your points about romantic aspects of the business. I do love working on my projects and I have a thing for sunsets, as can be evidenced here: Tristan Howard Productions: Little Hot Springs Valley Sunset Photos. In a lot of ways, I feel like I’ve already succeeded. My professional productions and TV broadcasts made me happy and I was pleased with the results (though I still recognize many deficiencies). A big current goal for me is to succeed on a financial as well as an emotional level.

Eventually, I do want to pursue the entrepreneur route with my own production company. I’ve already done that on a small-scale, but I haven’t been in a position to negotiate paying jobs and I’ve yet to make a profit. First, I think it’s important for me to learn more and actually graduate from college. Thanks for your post, Jonathan. It was very helpful.

Mick,

Yeah, bighorn lambs can engage in vigorous frolicking, but the word “frolic” implies vigorous activity. So, I guess “vigorous” could be interpreted as an unnecessary qualifier.

Thanks for checking out my reel. I don’t know why the stream bogged down during the goose fight. I use the Network Solutions web hosting package, so perhaps the problem is due to a glitch in their system. On my PC, the video played fine with Firefox, Safari, and Explorer. Nevertheless, Explorer took much longer to load the file than the other browsers. The file is pretty close (48.7 MB) to the 50 MB size restriction for my web hosting service. Perhaps that contributed to the problem. If anyone has trouble playing the video or knows why it won’t play, please let me know. Your point about hiring makes sense. It reminds me of what my English teachers say about the publishing world. If publishers see a serious grammar error on the first page of a submission, the paper quickly qualifies for recycling. Thanks for the input.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #97
New Boot

Hi Kevin,

I'm available for Sunday night. Have my own mini-dv gear, PD-150's - 20 years experience. Live in Bucks County...Let me know about gig... Celecvideo@aol.com
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #98
Major Player

Kevin - I may be available. I own and shoot extensively with the XH-A1. Whats the assignment?

Art
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #99
Major Player

Pat & Art thanks for your reply. I filled the position this morning but will certainly keep you in mind if I ever find myself in the position again. Thanks again.
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #100
Regular Crew

You might want to try Fischer Productions out of Park City, UT.
They produce shows for The Outdoor Channel and ESPN2. Judging by your reel you seem like someone they would definitely be interested in hearing from.

FISCHER PRODUCTIONS | BROADCAST TELEVISION
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #101
Regular Crew

Wedding Videographer Wanted July 11th 2009 - Toronto Area

Im looking for a wedding videographer preferably with the Canon XHA1 and some wedding experiences.
If you have any experience in the South Asian community that definitely would be a plus.

Shoot me an email with your work or details to video@p-yourvision.com

Thank you
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #102
Tourist

Hello Alain,

Thanks for the answer.

Please send me a mail where you present the project - and maybe I can see some of the work?

- martin
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #103
Regular Crew

Need Second Shooter for Wedding NY May 2nd

I am looking for an experienced shooter to second shoot with me in NY. You must have your own gears, such as PD170, Sony HDV cameras and tripod. Pay will be determined on experience and the quality of footage captured. This will be an Indian Christian wedding. If interested please email me at

bjthomas@digitalcanvaspro.com

Thanks

BJ
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Replied to wrong thread.
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #105
Inner Circle

Hey BJ, sent you an e-mail.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands