Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old February 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #181
Major Player

Absolutely.

List anything you have done production wise, whether it was on one of your own productions or somebody else's. But if it was work on your own project, don't list every single job you might have covered. Just list a few broad ranging duties, art direction, direction, cinematography, etc...
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #182
Trustee

This is strictly opinion so please take it as such, but if you're thinking about being a "production intern" it might be a better idea to apply as a p.a. then you at least can get a couple of bucks. If you want to be an "intern" it might be better to apply to some sort of development, pre, or post position, as those are the areas that seem to last the longest. and are usually looking for interns.

That being said interning at The Shooting Gallery was one of my most memorable and favorite experiences and tought me more about film preproduction and production company inner workings then any class at school ever could.
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #183
Regular Crew

nick i may sound like a complete idiot to you but:

what's a p.a.?

what do you mean by applying to some sort of development, pre or post position?

what's the shooting gallery?

thanks for your recommandations
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #184
Capt. Quirk

P.A. is Production Assistant... Gopher... whatever you want to call it. The person that does what needs to be done, for one of the crew who is too busy to do it themselves ;)

Usually low paying, but better than intern credits.
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:03 AM   #185
Regular Crew

ok i've done twice but the thing is that i also need credits for college. i intend to send a reel, is it a problem if i send a PAL dvd?

peace
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #186
Capt. Quirk

Pal will likely be a problem. We use NTSC here, and most equipment won't play Pal.
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #187
Tourist

Anyone in L.A.....Help!!!

Firstly, I'd like to say hello to all you fellow HD10 users
out there - I think I'm still one of the only people
in London, UK actually using it.

I'm almost done shooting a feature on the JY-HD10u here
in London which is set half in London and half in Los Angeles.
And you've guessed it...I've run my budget dry when all I have left to shoot is my L.A. 2nd unit exteriors and plates.

So...my begging, pleading question is this:

Is there a L.A. based (or nearby) owner of an HD10u who would be prepared to do some Stanley Kubrick-type remote shooting for me of some particular exteriors and some still plates for my remaining shots. I am willing to pay for any tapes used and shipping costs and of course - you'll get a additonal photography credit. Also - I would of course return the favour in anyway I could.

I know it's a bit of a wacky request but I figure this is the only place anyone can help me. shoot the footage with
a matched look.

if you're interested the IMDB page for my film is here...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421244/

thanks for looking and if anyone is interested I've had
a bunch of shots transferred via Yukon onto 35mm.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #188
Tourist

I think I can help you out. I live in LA, Hollywood to be exact, have a HD1 and about a years experience using it. Kubrick's style is close to my heart so I believe I could pull off what you're looking for. You can check out some of my recent work at leontrackstar.com. If it matters I got a degree in Media Arts at the University of South Carolina and have experience shooting non-music related content as well. Feel free to contact me at willson@leontrackstar.com.
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:12 AM   #189
Regular Crew

XL2 Rental Needed In Orlando..

Does anyone know of a rental house that rents the XL2 in Orlando FL... I found some in FT Lauderdale and Miami but none in Orlando... Need Help In This...

Thanks In Advance..
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:31 PM   #190
Trustee

Yohann Keith is right. Occasionally you'll find one or two places that are willing to give you a little bit of a stipend AND intern credits, or you mght be able to find a nice production coordinator who's willing to pay you and jsut write that the whole thing was an internship. Pre-production is usually what leads up into production. A typical production assistant on a film will be involved with this. That is an office production assistant. A set production assistant will work on set and usually only during production. A post production assistant will help out the editors usually digitizing and maybe doing a rough cut if you're really lucky. A development "P.A." is usually an intern who works or a production company, they would be in charge of making sure the office is supplied with needed items (paper, coffee, etc.) and occasionally doing coverage (reading scripts and writing a synopsis) for the people who work for the people who make the decisions. Your best route is to figure out which one of these fields interest you the most, and then check mandy.com or as a last resort craigslist and try to find something that matches your interests. Best of luck!

The Shooting Gallery was an awesome production company that had a few small problems that caused it to get closed down in 2001 many of the people who worked there spread out to other companies in New York and L.A. I ws lucky enough to work there as an intern during which time they moved me up to an intern coordinator. The amount I learned in three months there eclipsed all that I learned about the pre-production process in college.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:32 PM   #191
Trustee

Charles are you still looking for the FCP editor? I'm sorry I missed you at the brewery thing last month.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM   #192
Wrangler

mebbe, mebbe not Nick...we might have someone. you're fulltime these days, though, right?
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:03 AM   #193
Regular Crew

thanks nick, things are much clearer to me now. the truth is if a coordinator can write the whole thing as an internship then i'm willing to take any position. i collected a few addresses in nyc but i only got major companies contacts, and of course my chances are higher in an independent one. any idea where i could get a directory of all companies in NYC?
one more thing: i'm also a photographer and i would definitely be down for a set photographer position, shall i mention it on my cover letter or would it sound too sketchy?

peace
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM   #194
Trustee

Charles, I am in fact full time (for the time being, but it's freelance fulltime so make of that what you will) it was more for a friend of mine who's a pretty rockin' FCP editor and I know is looking to get involved with some professional types such as yourself. His name's Scott Whitman and he's just wrapping an avid gig, I'll have him ship his info over just in case, but I wanted to give you the heads up.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:09 PM   #195
Trustee

Hmm I don't know fi I could be too much help with the whole cover letter thing, I basically jsut sent an e-mail to the shooting gallery and told them that I'd met their president (he came to speak at my college) and that I'd love to come intern for them and shine shoes or whateve rthey needed to have done. They werent' super strict on getting free labor so after a couple of phone calls it was all good.

As far as the set photographer goes I would suggest doing that free lance once you get into the states there will be plenty of people looking to have a set photographer and some may even pay for it.

I think a good starting point may be http://www.newyork411.com/ or try mandy.com and browse to the NYC section. Now is the best time to get on it for summer internships. The whole Production Coordinator thing will have to be a play it by ear sort of thing, because I'm sure there are some people who may not be cool with doing it (though personally I can't imagine why) good luck and remember to be really persistant, as it's difficult to turn down free eager labor.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands