Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old April 16th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #286
Major Player

resmedia -at- gmail dotcom
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #287
Regular Crew

Good, Benjamin. Then you'll be able to read this article where the Minister of the Interior of France, Dominique de Villepin has admitted that, " Rascism is a fact of life in France.":

Le ministre de l'Intérieur Dominique de Villepin, interrogé sur Europe 1 à propos d'un supposé racisme anti-blancs de la part de jeunes Noirs, a estimé dimanche que "la racisme de tout bord est une réalité" en France".
"Malheureusement, le racisme de toute part et de tout bord est une réalité dans notre pays depuis dix ans", a estimé le ministre, invité d'Europe 1, en s'appuyant sur une étude qui lui a été remise récemment.

Diverses personnalités, dont Alain Finkielkraut, Jacques Julliard et Bernard Kouchner, ont dénoncé le 25 mars, dans un appel, des "ratonnades anti-blancs" de la part de jeunes noirs lors de manifestations lycéennes.

Pour lui, "il y a, sur le plan du racisme, inacceptable quelle que soit la situation, un certain nombre de prises de conscience qui créent, aujourd'hui, des frustrations".

Il a indiqué, en se rapportant à un livre récent, qu'"en Afrique, presque 12 millions d'Africains ont été transportés vers les colonies et abusés, sur plusieurs siècles, 17 millions pour ce qui concerne la traite vers le monde Arabe et 14 millions pour ce qui est de la traite interafricaine".

"Tout cela est fort complexe", a estimé Dominique de Villepin, particulièrement "à l'heure où les identités se recherchent et, donc, évidemment, on cherche des boucs émissaires, on cherche quelqu'un contre lequel s'opposer", a-t-il poursuivi.

"Prenons la mesure de phénomènes qui ne sont pas unilatéraux", a souhaité le ministre, pour qui "nous devons être extrêmement vigilants, partout sur notre territoire".

Pour lui, "la seule réponse face au racisme, c'est la République, l'égalité des chances, des droits entre les hommes et les femmes".

Interrogé sur le communautarisme, M. de Villepin a reconnu que "nous constatons aujourd'hui, des comportements qui sont inacceptables. C'est effectivement inquiétant", a-t-il ajouté.

Il a cité le cas, en région Rhône-Alpes, de "deux jeunes femmes issues de l'immigration qui ne peuvent pas aller dans les restaurants du coeur sans cacher les étiquettes des boîtes de conserves qu'elles (ramènent): elles sont obligées de marquer +halal+ dessus", a-t-il expliqué.

"Ce sont là des comportements qui montrent à quel point nous devons être intransigeants, dans notre pays", a ajouté M. de Villepin. "L'effort d'intégration est indispensable, c'est un combat qu'il faut mener au quotidien" a-t-il conclu.

Source: http://fr.news.yahoo.com/050417/202/4d7rt.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Durin
<<<-- Originally posted by Victor Muh :

Finally, who made you such an expert of France and it's culture? -->>>

Err... maybe because I am French. And married with a Taiwanese. I found somebody very obedient and hard worker, perfect for my personal slave. I very seldom use my whip.

I am done here.

http://advaloreminternational.com
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #288
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Let's keep on track here and respond to Marcin's orginal post, shall we? And keep in mind that despite all the craziness in the world, we've got some kindred spirits here at DVInfo.net who speak a common language. So how about addressing Marcin's original question?

Marcin,

I lived overseas for quite a stretch, and am now back in the States... and I have to say that pretty much "everything" seems more difficult back here. For one, the U.S. is so regulated, it's a nightmare trying to put together a low-budget anything. Plus, there's a sort of "caution/snobbery" here that makes people reluctant to participate in anything unless you've made a box office smash.

I've been wrestling with that. Why on Earth acting students in places outside the major cities wouldn't jump on any viable opportunity to act is beyond me...especially when there are no other opportunities around. They all seem to be holding out for that magical big time opportunity that, let's face it, isn't going to come. The old directors and talent didn't mind have a "history" of footage of them starting out so much (check out Scorcese's beginner films and some famous actor's commercials)... but now the idea seems to be "I was discovered overnight and instantly became a millionaire/superstar"--and anything showing you starting out and stumbling a bit is cause for shame. Strange. I look at it as mighty impressive growth.

From the places overseas that I've lived or spent significant time.. which includes Europe... my impression is that people are more inclined to be supportive of creative endeavors. You won't have the guy demanding a huge payment for his nice red barn to be shown in the background of a shot for 5 seconds, and you won't have beginner actors and crew dictating terms. Just look at the films coming out of the UK and Ireland as examples... small budget, nice, story-driven films. How many of those would ever get made here?

If you're looking to work on someone else's films, then you'll always be at the mercy of location, timing, and chance. But if you're planning to make your OWN films, I'd imagine that you'll have fewer obstacles in Europe and it would simply be up to you at that point.

Of course, everyone will say that Hollywood is where you have to be... but there are plenty of film cultures/markets out there.
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #289
Inner Circle

after all , if you are looking for business, stay in USA, where everything is bigger. If you come into europe (except UK, that is often considered by european like another state of USA, from a movie culture point of view) , you will need to switch to another state of mind that takes time and is a frustrating way (including for us, european). It is a way of life and not a business (or so claimed).
On the other hand, if you come the produce something on your own, you will get a slight advantage on the Know-how and if you have the ego and arrogance that european expect from US people, it could be a real asset, since this is often required to drive such project. (but do not forget to add a smile here and there).
The employment situation in europe is the same as in USA (in movie business). You will find many people that are looking for a job, anything that can make their day busy and allow a little income. The only difference is they are hard to find, since the movie industry is not so well organized that in USA , due to many legislation, cultures, languages etc.... (it goes better since europe is existing).
I think the most open country for doing movie is spain or UK.
the most difficult is Italy, very closed.
The most efficient or professional is Germany, but unfortunately, making movie in german is very limitating du to language but they are great distributors.
France is very special and is very complicated (lots of forms to fill for everything) but you get a lot of actors and technician available.
That is why, people are making movies with a mix of different country's ressources.
The good thing is you can get easily money from some state services, even accross several countries. (germany and switzerland for example, are sponsoring many indies movie).
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #290
New Boot

wide angle needed in boston

Hey guys, for the next two weeks ill be in boston working on a documentry. And was wondering is anyone had or knew where i could rent a wide angle lens for a xl1/2. Thanks for all your help. -FERNANDO
Old April 17th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #291
Trustee

Fernando,

If I can help out on your shoot let me know. I live north of Boston. I'll be in Vegas until the 25th, but after that I'm around..
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #292
Regular Crew

Thanks

John Locke thanks for trying to actually help me :) . I came to US seven years ago. I will be finishing college in two years ,and I was thinking if I should not go back to Europe. On the other hand I know a lot of film people here in US and I guess going back to Europe would put me on the begining again. I read all of your posts guys and thanks. Some of the posts were not exactly what I was looking for ,but still it is something that maybe we should consider.
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #293
New Boot

yeah man

yeah man for sure.... email me and ill give you my cell number to call. we will be attending differnt ivy league schools.
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #294
Wrangler

Videographer needed in St. Louis Area

I'm posting this for a friend. Please reply directly to Keith using the phone numbers below. Don't contact me as I have no further information.

----------------------------

I am looking for a single shooter w/ Canon XL 1 or equivalent for half day
in
St Charles MO on either April 29 or 30, Need both hand held and sticks for
shoot , no audio. This is for eventual B roll use of performing arts event.

I will not be able to be there personally but would provide precise
instructions as to what I need shot and how, and then would need masters
sent to me as
soon as possible.

Approximately a half day needed on site, probably no more than two one hour tapes needed as stock

very best,

Keith Arsenault
President
IAEG - International Arts & Entertainment Group
Tampa, Florida

813 831 3465 Mr. Arsenault's Office
813 205 0893 Mr. Arsenault's Cellular

www.iaeginc.com
www.circusnexus.org
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #295
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Miller
Any details? I'm not in LA but it's cool hearing what people are up to and what oppuritunites are available out there :}
Live in BR, am in NO 3-4 times a week.

Email me at chris@labproductions.com and gimme some info!
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #296
Major Player

Hey, I'm a DP in Minneapolis who's shot stuff on the XL1 and I'd love to help out, if you still check this forum. =P
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #297
Major Player

AUDIO TECH NEEDED Louisville KY 4/26/05

We are a fortune 30 company located in Duluth, Georgia.

We need an audio Tech to record a live speech on either DAT or Mini Disc from a wireless mic.

Must provide reliable, wireless mic, and record deck. Care and attention to detail required.

Please contact me with your information, and I'll forward it to our producer.

Jeff Patnaude EPN-TV / Primerica

jeff dot patnaude at primerica dot com
770-564-7979
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:20 AM   #298
Trustee

Any pros in South Africa with a 25p camera?

I live in the US but my wife in from South Africa and she wants to have a wedding there since her family couldn't make it to the one we had here.

The problem is that I am having a hard time finding somebody there that can offer exactly what I need.

I would prefer somebody who can shoot 2 cameras in HD. The FX1 would be great at 25i.

I wrote a program to convert the 25i HD into 24p frames by shifting the number of frames and adding a 4% audio change.

If I cannot find anybody with HD the next best thing would be 2 cameras with 25p SD. I can still shift this to 24p.

Next down the list would be anybody who could at least shoot simulated 25p footage such as Canon frame mode. This wouldn't be as sharp as true 25p but it would do.

Finally a very high quality 1/2" or 2/3" 25i as a last resort.

I wrote a program just for this purpose to convert the 25i PAL footage into 24p NTSC. What it does is with HD it de-interlaces, scales down with filtering, and maps the exact frames from 25 into 24 and shifts the audio by 4%. With SD it just remaps the framerate and perform de-interlacing if need be.

I figured this would be the best way to do this since I could then edit a 50i SD version for my wife's family, a 24p NTSC DVD version for us and also make a HD version for the future at for either 25i, 25p, 24p, or 30i with pulldown.

All I need is somebody with pro and wedding experience to shoot with 2 cameras all day and give me the raw tapes. Along with your usual fee for doing this sort of thing I will give you a 25i PAL DVD version when I am finished editing so you can use it for demo purposes. If you can make direct digital copies of the raw tapes before I leave the country you can keep the copies of the raw footage to do with as you please. I will be glad to pay your usual price for shooting and editing an event even though I just need somebody to shoot it.

I need somebody around the Johannesburg area of South Africa or somebody willing to travel there.

Oh yeah and this wedding will be towards the end of December on a Friday.
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:05 PM   #299
Wrangler

Moved this thread from XL2 to "Helping Hands."

Please do not cross-post (post the same thing more than once); other copies of this thread in other boards are being removed.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:01 AM   #300
New Boot

Cool!!!! N.O. in the house!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands