Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #346
Tourist

Movies Askew - Submit your shorts!

My name is Mattt Potter. Kevin Smith and I have started a Short Film
Contest over at http://www.moviesaskew.com

Our goal is to put out a really smoking "Shorts DVD" here at the end of the year, and we believe that if we could get the word out more by using forums like here at DViCommnunity, it would get a lot more filmmakers jazzed about our site and get some really good films in.

The winners get on our Movies Askew DVD that we are putting out at the end of the year and also a sweet package of goodies from Panasonic. Also the grand prize winner, wins a Job on Kevin's next film!

If anyone here has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. I guess MY big question is have you heard of the site? And do you have any short films you would like to submit to it?

We are actually starting a new section this upcoming round called "FAN FILMS" which is pretty much a place for filmmakers to submit ANYTHING they want. Shorts with any music or footage in them. These shorts will not be on the DVD. But! They still can win the Panasonic Pacakge and every month Kevin himself will pick the winner in this section. Each month that winner also gets a Camera from Panasonic! Which is pretty cool.

Anyway, I'll be hanging here in the forum all day today if anyone has any questions.

Thank you so much for reading this and I really hope you check out Movies Askew!

Thanks Again!

Mattt Potter
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #347
Major Player

Mattt,

Thanks for posting. I have been aware of your site for a while, and I'm hoping to submit a short I am producing now. It is a great opportunity, so thanks for putting it all together.

I have to say that the site itself has always been a bit confusing to me... I've gone hoping to see the list of winners from previous months, all the submitters from this month, etc., and have not found that information. You have the "Shorts Archive" but I actually have no idea what that is, what time it spans, etc. And not seeing information such as "This are this months selected shorts," I am much less likely to return next month and expect something different. The process itself is also still vague to me... everyone submits, the staff selects 5 (now 6) films and the users vote on them?

Without that kind of information easily accessible I know that I was initially much less likely to submit (in fact, until you posted I had kinda written it off).

I hope I don't sound harsh, I just feel that you guys have a great content and potential, but that you are probably not reaching the numbers of people you could.

Anyway, thanks again for running it and posting here. I will submit.
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #348
Trustee

Hey, this looks pretty cool!

Also, if you get a chance can you tell Kevin that his DVD of him touring college campus' is the funniest damn thing I've EVER seen or heard in my life!! He's funnier than any comedian I've ever heard...I'm totally serious!

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #349
Major Player

Yes, ditto on the Kevin DVD. I rolled. I had to watch the Prince story three times.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #350
Trustee

Barry, that's my favorite story!! lol
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #351
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
but me thinks we'll see your name on the credit roll running a close second to the cast in the near future.
Thank you. Working towards that day my self :D
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #352
Wrangler

Instant Films shoot--need help in LA this weekend

It's Instant Films time again! Our third anniversary and 18th festival. I'm directing once again, and once again scrapping around for crew! Looking for helping hands of all stripes for this Saturday the 14th, particular if you have sound experience (no mixer--recording straight to camera with a 416 and boompole) and grip/electric, or just interested PA's.

We'll be shooting on the Los Angeles Center Studios lot this time around. As always, there's the bonus of coming the next night (Sunday the 15th) to see the finished results on the big screen with 400 souls in attendance (and there's a party with food and drink afterwards too).

Those who have done it in the past have found it a good experience. If interested, you can email me directly at charles@instantfilms.tv.

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #353
Trustee

I just want to let everyone know how much fun the instant films shoots are it's a total blast and seeing the things that come out of this in such a short period of time will blow your mind. I would totally help out this week if I wasn't 2300 miles away in Atlanta.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #354
Wrangler

Thanks Nick!

BTW, "Cry for Help" is finally done...a short version played at Sundance, but the complete version was just buttoned up this week. The "rapture" effects (people disappearing) look great. Have fun in Atlanta!
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #355
Wrangler

I'm going to be in town 19th-29th. Anything I can come/do/see on those days?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #356
Wrangler

Not Instant Film-wise, I'll be just about recovered from lack of sleep by then!

If I have any other shoots going in that period, RKS, I'll let you know. What are you in town for?
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #357
Wrangler

Not business this time. Pleasure.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #358
Regular Crew

Any D.P.'s/Editors in North Iowa?

I'm looking for D.P.'s and editors for a movie that will be filmed in 2006.
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #359
Regular Crew

Help! Need a skilled technician, Vancouver BC

Hi. Not sure where this should be directed too? Dylan???
I need someone qualified to fabricate me a voltage regulator (to fit behind an Anton Bauer battery plate) to knock down 14 volts to 12.......... (The battery voltage can be as high as 18 volts coming off the charger, but the camera is only rated at 12 volts +2/-0.5) Any know anybody or themselves that can offer sugesstions or I will pay someone tho do it. Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #360
Major Player

I can make it tonight, so you can pick it up in the morning.
Better yet, call me 604-780-1818. (you may need an enclosure of some sort to mount it in/on)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands