Helping Hands from 2010 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old January 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for asking about color grading your project. There are a few ways to deliver a project to me.

- A Final Cut project with all the media. Final Cut is integrated with Color-I grade the project in Color and output a new set of color graded sequences. These can also be output as master QuickTimes or various tape formats, etc.

For non-FCP projects like yours there are 2 options:

1. You generate an EDL out of your final project, you deliver the master tapes or whatever and I recapture into a Final Cut project, then send to Color as above. This may or may not be painful.

2. You generate masters from whatever native format you're working with and I work with those. If you're not working with an uncompressed master than there is nothing to be gained by outputting to uncompressed. Certain details about how to deal with titles and graphics would have to be worked out as well as how to organize the project.

There are other options, like dealing with DPX and TIFF sequences as well as all of the workflows for RED cameras as well.

Color grading, like sound, is best done once the picture is locked. On the other hand I've had clients give me footage they shot, to fine tune it before sending the masters to the producers/editors.

As far as wedding videos go, of course the video would benefit a lot from color grading, as any documentary that is working mostly with available lighting. Will it fit the budget and will the clients actually notice or care? Those are questions you'd have to answer for yourself ;)

Cheers,

Gerry
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I have both Vegas 8c and 9c and would be interested in work.
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #48
Major Player

Gerry:

Thanks for the reply and information.

It does not sound feasible for you to work on a Vegas produced project. Option #1 would not be possible as even with an EDL you would have to re-create the entire project titling, effects and audio editing (audio could be worked out though). Lot's of Vegas plug-ins also affect the final render (i.e. video noise reduction). Option #2 I not too sure about either.The issues of titling and transitions seems to be a big issue. Plus working with a tera byte size file twice, once for grading and once for final production could be problematic.

For FCP users, it would be a breeze for you to get it done.

Thanks for the SOP
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure what kind of project you're dealing with but it's not too hard to work with non FCP projects for me. Break the show down in several 20 minute sequences, put all the titles on a separate video track(s) then export a version without the titles, I color grade it and the editor marries the two together.

Your file size sounds a bit high, are you dealing with uncompressed HD? 90 minutes of DVC ProHD 1080p24 is about 72 GB, for example. In any case, it sounds like it makes more sense for you to work with whatever tools Sony Vegas has.

Cheers,

Gerry
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #50
Inner Circle

I tend to grade the source files, then give those back to the editor for assembly. This way, the editor can work independently of me color grading, and I just hand back complete replacement files with no need for an EDL or anything else. I just finished a short film this way with me grading on Vegas/Avid and the editor working of FCP. Process was as smooth as could be.

We used DnxHD as the go-between codec, and I have Macdrive installed on one of my machines so I could hook up his Mac formatted external drive as the physical medium for transport.
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:31 AM   #51
Trustee

Canon Shooter New Brunswick N.J. feb 15

I'm finalizing a shoot in New brunswick on Feb 15. It's going to be photography and video of some lab demonstrations, several interviews, broll, etc. I'm bringing my photographer, myself and as much gear as possible.

I shoot ewith an H1, a1 and a 7D. I want to use the 7d as much as possible, but am concerned about audio and having a good backup in case of focus issues. I'm considering shooting with both the H1 and the 7d, and using the H1 for the audio.

If someone in New Brunswick is experienced with the H1 or A1, and has a basic knowledge of sound, and lighting, and can help us move things around, then that would be great.

Anyone interested can email me directly at
yarock at a o l dot com
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:47 PM   #52
Major Player

Executive Assistant to Producer

We're looking for an Executive Assistant who knows the ropes in the television world and who has solid secretarial skills. The successful applicant should be able to maintain an executive calendar, book travel and accomodations, type 120+ wpm, know shorthand or fast notes, have experience with mail merges, know Powerpoint, know Excel and of course have expertise in Word. Must have the presence and confidence to set network pitch meetings and to build relationships with network executive assistants.

Please contact:
tmcpartland@tmcent.tv
310 914-0145
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Lloyd, I'm sure it's not your intent but the PHRASING of your ad essentially says "non-Christians need not apply". The test for bias is often "could I replace "x" with another word and would it be acceptable?" Like "black/African American" or "straight"...

I'd suggest trying the following:

We are a Christian non-profit group that is finalizing the script and preproduction of a new Christian film that is partly documentary in nature and party drama. The goal of this film is to lead people to Christ and the sets will be highly spiritual, prayerful, etc.

Each speaking shot will be done once through in English and then again in Spanish, so being bilingual is a plus (but not requirement for non-speaking parts).

We are currently putting together a potential crew list for this project which is due to start late Feb or March. We are currently accepting resumes, demo reels, head shots, applications, etc. We are currently looking for the following:

* Actors (all ages, shapes, sizes. There's probably a part for everyone, albeit minor). There are main roles and roles for extras.
* Assistant Director to work with writer/director. Experience necessary.
* Videographers (we are recording in 1080i and 1080p at 24p. Camera not necessary, but helpful). Experience with jibs, dollies, steadicam is highly recommended.
* Editor (Premiere preferably)
* Adobe After Effects artist
* Sound engineer
* Grip/lighting
* Original Music composer

Interested? Please email your pitch to me. Include as much info as possible. Head shots, resume, testimony, or anything else you may find important. We will be doing a casting call based on the information emailed. We will advise the exact date(s) we will be coming to Las Vegas when we get closer.

We are doing this on a volunteer basis almost exclusively. I'll be glad to answer any questions.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:01 AM   #54
Tourist

7D Operator in Sydney needed

Hi,

I run a production company in Sydney catering to the music industry. We are looking for another 7D camera operator to join the team. Must have experience. Your own 7D and editing experience a bonus...as well as a love for music.

Home | The Grindhouse Blog

Get in touch if interested.

Cheers,
Quincy
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:17 PM   #55
Major Player

Well, one of the Camera operators the director had chosen is not going to work out so a slot has opened again for this position.... Paul Cronin, Walter will be contacting you soon to touch base and see if there is still interest. Others please foward me your contact info and I will pass it along to the director.... See start of this thread for details.

Thanks!

Jason
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Thanks Jason appreciate the heads up on the call.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:39 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Shotlist needs filming in Tyne-and-Wear, UK

Hello,

I've got £250 (UKP) on offer for someone who can film me a given list of shots in the Blaydon area of Tyne-and-Wear.

I need standard-def PAL, footage ideally sent to me as captured DV .avi files eg on compact flash (eg if using Sony Z7) or burned to a data DVD. No editing, transcoding or any processing required, just the raw footage.

The shot list isn't defined yet - will be meeting with my client this weekend to pin it down but it will be GVs of locations around Blaydon. One obvious example is the Angel of the North but other more mundane shots will be included...

Don't need anything too arty, just nice (in focus, properly exposed, non-wobbly!), clean shots, maybe some pans, focus pulls, even an occasional zoom out if the scene warrants it.

Should be around half a day's work for someone in that area of the country and you'll need to assign copyright to us in writing.

Any takers? I'll need to see evidence of your own personal filming work (URLs / YouTube / Vimeo probably best)

Drop me a note via the work website (below)

Regards
Dave
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM   #58
Trustee

Hi Dave sent you a message via your web site.

You can have a look at my material here:
here:iNorthEast.tv (High Force, Craster, Northern Steam)
and details of my web site here: HD Production - HDPS-UK

My HD cameras also shoot in DV, DVCPro and DVCPro50

Gary
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM   #59
Major Player

Well, I apologize...but I jumped the gun on my last post... Due to some production glitches (they always seem to creep up don't they) The additional cameraman position is in a holding pattern right now... I will report back if ther is any change in this status. Again I apologize for the post... Sorry Paul... Walter may still touch base with you but right now he is running around with his head cut off dealing with other areas of the production.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM   #60
Inner Circle

No Worry Jason,

I wrote to Walter and he will touch base when he is ready. Also running around flat out which is nice, and look forward to the possible chance to work on the shoot in June.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands