Helping Hands from 2006 - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #421
Major Player

If you can work free, work for this guy...

This project is obviously straight from the heart (although dealing with, well, other areas of the anatomy). It will help the general public to learn about potentially lifesaving issues.

Those who are contemplating devoting time to the George Romero feature film, please consider giving this important and public spirited project your time and energy instead.

Charlie... is heliobacter pylori a causal factor in your illness as it is in other ulcers? If not, perhaps there is another organism that does play a role, albeit as yet undiscovered as was h. pylori's role in ulcers for so many years. Consider drinking colloidal silver to kill a broad spectrum of organisms in the intestines, you may get lucky.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #422
Major Player

Low and deferred pay offer shows class...

This poster is doing his best to confer some human dignity on the people he's enlisting. Deferred pay is a very reasonable approach to bootstraps filmmaking, and some money up front is even better.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #423
Regular Crew

Your tenacious outrage is bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
But this kind of cooperation among friends cannot be confused with trading on the hopes and dreams of strangers to persuade them to WORK for free.
Are you kidding? This happens all the time! Almost every damn indie I've ever worked on, most of the cast and crew were doing it for the experience or exposure and, at the outside, some faint hope of profits from the backend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
And if you doubt that filmmaking is work, and among the hardest work there is at times, and certainly with some of the longest hours, then you haven't been on set very much.
I just wrapped principal photography on a feature where I was DP, Art Director, Key Grip, etc, etc, etc, so don't tell me how much work goes into filming. And guess what? I didn't get paid. Yes I "own a piece of the picture" but that and $4.50 will get me a latte at Starbucks.

What it comes down to is love. If I was into indie /guerilla filming only for the money, I'd be an idiot. I'd be better off working as a cog-wheel in Hollywood.

Are there plenty of con-artists out there who will try and cheat you out of a lot of hard work? Sure. But they usually promise the moon. This guy is totally up-front about what he's offering: not much.

Take it or leave it.

But, bitch endlessly about it? Dude!
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #424
Regular Crew

Tip, I totally agree with you. I don't think we'll be hearing from this person again because it was his first post and more than likely his only post. I started a dedicated forum about these ridiculous job offers a while back and it has grown exponentially over the last couple of years. Unfortunately, it shows how prevalent these types of posts and projects are but some are so ridiculous you just have to laugh. I think the worst of these types of posts are when these people absolutely demand so much for so little or nothing. I think we have all worked on something for experience but that must end at some point. These types of reasons have been exploited and overused by the shadier types and now you don't know who to trust. It's not just can you help, it's you must have this and must have that, provide all equipment and by the way, I can't pay you. That's what bothers me the most. I think these types of people are truly mentally ill to call on strangers and actually expect all of this for no compensation. When you can't pay, you take what you can get!!

There are red flags with this post and the point about the Chicago crew. Somebody is getting paid. What makes this even worse is that they want you to use your own gear for free, something that is costing you money!! On other projects, I have seen ridiculous amounts of "hidden" money magically appear and spent for last minute needs to make something happen. But, they claimed they couldn't even pay P.A.'s $100 day. This industry is full of liars and manipulators and you just have to learn how to spot them before getting taken. This is not a friend in high school wanting help to shoot a project for fun. This is a project with high profile people listed and should be funded as such. What makes it even worse is that key positions such as a shooter are being solicited for no pay. That is rarely if ever done for a high profile project. For those that don't think this is a big deal, they probably have other full time jobs and/or still live at home so paying bills is not necessarilly a priority. I would really like to know how many people have gotten hired on a huge project with great pay based on a screen credit from an independent project that nobody has ever heard of! Even though the terms are seemingly up front, this is still a bad deal for whoever provides their gear and/or works for free.

Ridiculous Job Offers & Demands
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=33082
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #425
Regular Crew

Austin, TX Crew Needed

We'll be shootinga 'long' short film starting in mid June in the Austin metro area. Anyone and everyone who is interested in helping out on ANY level should contact me at lonbreedlove@yahoo.com. The most important people I need, however, are people who could aid in a little pre-production, organizational work. Thanks for your interest,

Lon
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #426
Wrangler

Ironically James, that's the first place I thought of moving the initial post in this thread to. I agree with the idea of asking for help on a project for low or no compensation but only if you are willing to take people with low or no experience to match.

If I state that someone 'must have' this or 'must have' that, then I 'must have' some money to pay them.

-gb-
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #427
Capt. Quirk

There are plenty of actors/crew that have worked on low/no budget indie films, but that was based on the story alone. Big names, not just your average craigslist actors.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #428
Slash Rules!

I'd just like to point out that the whole "work free experience/exposure" thing is not limited to just cinema/video production--it seems to be present in all art/art-related fields ("paint my mural for free--everyone'll see it on the side of my building and you'll be famous!" "design my website for free! Everyone'll see it and you'll get tons of free work!" "design my company's logo for free, and I'll refer you to people!" Something about art, I guess.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #429
Capt. Quirk

Hence the term, "starving artist".
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #430
Major Player

Clean my garage... _iotch

Please, Eric, no "b" word, children may read these posts.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #431
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
As a hobbyist, I'd jump at this if I were available, which alas I am not! Not all shooters are in it as a career. I have a garden, but I don't get paid to till it.
But you'd probably expect to be paid to till someone else's garden, wouldn't you? Especially if they entered it in the anuual garden show and won a cash prize based in part on the quality of your work.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #432
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
But you'd probably expect to be paid to till someone else's garden, wouldn't you? Especially if they entered it in the anuual garden show and won a cash prize based in part on the quality of your work.
Not if I offered to do it for free if he told his neighbors about what a wonderful job I did :)
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #433
Regular Crew

Cole, I think the point that is being missed here is that just how many times could you do something for free with referrals as the only compensation. Where does it end? If everything is a trade then how the hell does anyone make a living? Free or deferred help should be confined to a group of friends and not solicited to the public. The unfortunate news is that there is a steady stream of young, naive people who will work for free for the truly demanding cheap asses until they finally figure it out and then another will take their place. The only thing that is a constant is that most of this free help is unskilled and the producer will usually get what they pay for. They will have to redo things and take time to explain what they need because of the lack of experience of the free help.

Last edited by James Emory; May 26th, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #434
Regular Crew

Thanks TIP for the support!!

It is really important to me that I try as best I can to raise awareness. In our modern day and age of highly processed foods alot of people (especially in th USA) are basically killing themselves with these highly toxic foods and chemicals.
Cancer and other diseases have become so common that it is almost expected that one will get a disease and die from it. That is NOT supposed to happen and we are supposed to thrive.

I need to get the message out that Colon Cancer & UC ARE PREVENTABLE!

H.Pylori is actually common in UC patients. I have it!

Thanks again for your support......I can use alot more from people!!

Take Care!
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #435
New Boot

Camera Operator Needed for Comedy Shoot in NYC

DBC Production is looking for a cameraperson to shoot our upcoming comedy showcases in NYC. The dates are July 15 & August 5, 2006. The showtimes is from 7:00pm-11:00pm. All interested parties and those looking for more information can contact us at info@diamondbackbroadcasting.com. Thank you for your time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands