DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Helping Hands from 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/19553-helping-hands-2006-a.html)

Michael Hendrix August 19th, 2006 04:49 AM

Wow, haven't heard that format in a while. You must have some old archive footage. I havent seen an M2 tape in over 10 years!

Phil Hover August 19th, 2006 10:29 AM

Need 2nd HVX/shooter for wedding in LA.

Hey,
I need someone saturday the 26th 2pm on for a wedding in palos verdes. 2nd cam for the ceremony - so just for a few hours. Must have the HVX200, tripod and some p2 cards. Laptop or p2 store to D/L footage is a plus but not necessary. Drop me an e-mail @ philip@soarproductions.com
This IS a paid gig.

Thanks-

Amos Kim August 19th, 2006 11:56 AM

I was referring to the redrock micro35 (m2) 35mm adaptor for video cameras. It allows you to attach 35mm film lenses on video cam.

Don Donatello August 19th, 2006 11:56 AM

are you looking for camera or deck?
if deck - you looking to copy to betaSp or digibeta or DVcam ??
or digitize ?

wooooooooooooops i too thought you wanted the panasonic M2 format ...

how does one DELETE a post ??

Michael Hendrix August 19th, 2006 02:03 PM

ooops, Don, I guess we are showing our age..... I mean experience.

Mark Michaels August 19th, 2006 06:44 PM

CameraMan needed for Shoot in WNY

We are in need of a camera man with camera that is interested in The outdoors who has a HD cam or XL2 or similar for a shoot for a local outdoor TV show in Western NY. If your interested please PM me for more info.

thanks

Greg Patch August 21st, 2006 12:37 PM

I'm in Huntsville and would be willing to help. I've got a Sony Z1U and wireless mics...Let me know if your interested...

PM me for contact info...

gregpatch@hotmail.com

Barry Gribble August 21st, 2006 02:37 PM

DP with 35mm Adaptor needed for August 27

Hey all,

I'm directing an 8 minute short that we are shooting Sunday, August 27 and I need a DP (the old one bagged out).

It's one location, and it has a great script with great actors who are totally nailing the roles. I'd like to do their performances justice with a very nice look. The shoot will be fun, and pretty low-stress.

The short is a dark comedy about a break-up.

Post or email via the link on my name in the post if you are interested.

Thanks...

Ben Scott August 21st, 2006 06:28 PM

Hi mate,

Well done on the degree and all that. I loved doing Film studies. Been studying it ever since in fact.

The good news? Well you'll probably get the job over the guy that doesn't have the degree.

The bad news? Job-wise, that's about all its worth I'm afraid.

For UK jobs, and especially those at the bottom rung of the ladder, try Broadcast (more jobs on their site at produxion.com but you have to pay to subscribe to get a job that you needed to pay for all your subscriptions) Stage/Variety, Media Day in the Guardian, Grapvinejobs.co.uk.

If you've got a reel, I would look at the PACT book and pick out the film companies you love and take it to them in person. Phone up and ask who HR or the equivilent is and speak to them - tell them you're passing through but you've always loved their work and you'd like to drop off a cv/reel in case any positions ever come up etc...

It's a lot easier to give someone a job if you've already met them. You'll be first in their head in front of all the anonymous CVs.

--------

Also, while I'm being a sour git, I will have to break it to you that being a runner or tape-op/edit assistant is so much more graft than just making tea 24-7. I have never in my life ever had to work as hard as I did back then (90hr weeks for 12 weeks straight on £7k a year with no overtime and it was only 1996!) - never taken so much s**t off so many people - never been treated so badly by the majority of producers and execs.... It was as emotionally gruelling as it was physically.

But you know what? It was exciting. Because every once in a while, at 4am with the directors and editors they'd invite you for a drink or ask for a fresh pair of eyes on a sequence, and suddenly after you've been put through all kinds of rubbish, your opinion can count for something. Every subsequent break I had in TV (first researcher job, first director job, first editor job, first producer job) came from these late night work sessions and then these people seeing I 'paid my dues' suddenly seeing something in me and trusting me to do well and go on to better things. Inside 3 years of my first TV job (with NO degree, but that's another story) I produced my first show. And I put it all down to that graft in my early years because while I was hating it and being spoken to like... well like I wasn't the 6'4" South-Londoner that I AM.... Well, nothing has ever been that hard again.

I personally think it's terrible, but people seem to look at it as a rite of passage and so subsequently in between making the tea, getting the boss' dry-cleaning, picking out a present for his girlfriend, explaining why you couldn't do 20hrs worth of transfers in 2hrs, you are expected to do every single worst job you can think of that might take place in an office, in a machine room and on location. Unclog the drain. Paint the studio. Walk the dogs. Feed the princesses (LONG story.. ) No one ever warned me and it hit me really hard at the time, but if you know what you are getting yourself into and can just steel yourself for harder hours than junior doctors work for far less money, then I'm sure you'll go on to rule the world.

Whilst this is my little tale and I'm sure some people have a 24hr party as a runner, everyone I work woth now has got horror stories of that time. A guy that worked with me used to have to go mow the exec's lawn and trim his hedges at the weekend on his day off!

I only ever got anywhere because people decided to help me when they didn't have to. I think it's important to continue that tradition. It's why I love this forum. If I can offer any advice don't hesitate to ask.

Tim Hyten August 22nd, 2006 01:55 AM

Still looking for a D.P.

Alex Butterfield August 22nd, 2006 02:08 AM

Cheers Ben,

I'll look into the publications and sites you mentioned.

I actually got my first job as a runner last week, for a three day shoot (for an advert) and it was great. i was worked hard, 40 hours in three days, but fortunately I was also well treated. I was only yelled at once (and they apologised for that afterwards).

I learnt so much from being on a professional shoot about the way the set is run and just simple things like terminology and job titles.

It was frustrating to have no responsibilty at all after being top of the pile at university, but I look on it as you say, paying dues, and although it was hard work and I missed the England Greece game, it was exhilerating to be on set. However much I tell myself I went to university for the experience of uni life and to learn the acedemic side of film, THIS is what it was all about. being on set had the same feeling as being on football pitch or the top of a ski slope and so I'm willing to do this many more times if it means that i get a chance to prove myself in the future.

Thanks for telling it like it is (i hate that phrase, but its appropriate here) we could have done with this kind of info while still at uni.

Thanks

Alex

Ben Scott August 22nd, 2006 12:57 PM

Hey no worries mate and congratulations.

I actually dropped out of UNI but had been at college before, and after wasting a year at Uni I went back to college for another year. Not a single thing I learned helped me to get a job.

I sometimes think about going back to my college and giving an afternoon course in 'what you need to get a job' type lecture. Striping tapes. Doing dubs. Digitising footage into NLEs. Taking s**t without punching the director of the company. Sleeping with the boss... That sorta thing.

I know what you mean about being on set though. It's a real buzz.

For me, I love going somewhere I've never been, meeting someone for the first time that I'm going to shoot and from that blank canvas, drawing together all those elements to produce something that people will see, hopefully enjoy, and not once think about how that light was cheated by being suspended on a coat hanger or how I was burning half my face while filming the chef at work in the kitchen etc...

Anyway well done and good luck for the future.

Ben

Heath McKnight August 22nd, 2006 02:11 PM

Still need generic Canadian city footage

I still need some generic Canadian city footage, mostly a hotel, city stuff, and a police car with siren on. I need it sent by Thursday August 24th overnight for Friday August 25th delivery.

I can pay. Please email hmcknight@mac.com.

heath

Jonathan Ames August 23rd, 2006 09:02 AM

Helicopter Extras for "The Unit"

We're completing 2nd Unit's Season 1 Finale with a helicopter sequence on the set of CBS' "The Unit" and we need extras to play potographers. No fee but alot of fun this coming Sunday on the set of the nation's 3rd highest rated show behind "24" and "NCIS". If you're interested, please respond here, to jlames@bluelinecinema.tv or at the 2nd Unit forum.

Spike Spiegel August 24th, 2006 10:46 AM

Series Producer

JOB DETAILS

job title: Other (Series Producer/Prod. Coordinator/Researcher)

job start: December 24 job end: February 24
total weeks: 7

show name: Travel Show
network: marketing

company: Craterlion Productions

job description:

Craterlion productions is looking for an experienced series producer that has the capability to wear multiple hats in producing a travel series that we have secured funding for.
This position will require you to multi-task, perform research, handle foreign communication, travel globally with a medium sized production crew, and communication with embassies, consulates, airpot security, archaeological socities, etc so the filming crew doesn't have to deal with all the hassles that come with international filming.

Brief project info: http://livethelife.craterlionproductions.com

Project media:
http://livethelife.craterlionproduct...m/footage.html

-Candidate must have experience in putting together the ins and outs of a network series.
-Resume must cite or include some name network projects
-travel experience is required, this position provides an opportunity to travel with the crew around the world.
-Experience handling filming permits, communication with foreign consulates/embassies for filming in various religious or public sites, etc. This is extremely important, please include detailed info in your resume if you have had experience dealing with such matters.
-Although detailed research has been done on each episodes of the series, we will require you to initiate /finalize contacts with local guides in all locations. Communication skills must be excellent.
-Must have the ability to research and initiate contacts in any countries we specify.
-this position requires you to work from our office so you must be local to Sac/El Dorado/Folsom area.

Compensation: Job starts on early December. Payment DOE.