Helping Hands from 2003 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:48 AM   #76
Capt. Quirk

I just did a couple of shoots down your way. I tell ya... coming home, that is the longest 3 hour drive!
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM   #77
Regular Crew

I am located in Miami, FL and can help you.. my contact information is below
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

Old June 4th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #78
Regular Crew

We're doing a short right now and our biggest obstacle has been finding quality actors in the area. If anyone here knows of free casting sites that cover the D.C. area that would be very helpful. We found one so far that seems to be the most comprehensive for finding non-sag actors. www.actorscenter.org

What are your shorts about?
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #79
RED Code Chef

Good luck with your new future Michael! If I was in your part
of the world I'd be sure to join up.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #80
Inner Circle

Hi Lou,
I'm located in Chicago, fully equiped - PD150's-sound and lighting. I knew Terry Kath and remember the band when they played local clubs in Chicago before the went to Europe to make a name for themselves. I've got a pretty full schedule of stuff coming up but let me know what the dates are and we'll see if we can work something out.
Don B.
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Anyone in Rochester NY?

I am a videographer in rochester NY and I have a wedding coming up where i am going to need more equipment.....Is there anyone in my area who could rent me a Wireless system and a 3 chip DV camcorder and a tripod....I would greatly appreciate this and I would be willing to help out any locals with extra equipment and time as well.

Thanks
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Oh yeah I forgot I will need it for Saturday June 14th. I will be able to return it late that night or first thing in the morning.

Thanks Again
Old June 5th, 2003, 03:17 AM   #83
RED Code Chef

If you don't get any help you might be able to rent such equipment
at rental houses.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 5th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #84
Regular Crew

There arent any in this area...I would have to drive to Buffalo
Old June 5th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #85
Regular Crew

I registered awhile back to produce a short for the Lady X film project. So the film will be about 5-7 minutes long and set entirely in D.C. I think I'm going to have a couple scenes. Most of them out on the National Mall, and probably one at National (Reagan I think it's called now) Airport.

I haven't even bothered to try to find actors. I'm planning on having only 3 or 4 characters in the short. Already have one person locked up to play a key role, and there is going to be very very little dialogue in the short, since it's supposed to be fast paced action/mystery. John Locke just completed an excellent introductary short to the Lady X series. You can check it out at www.ladyxfilms.com.

I attend the University of Maryland at College Park, and I know there are a lot of people there interested in acting. The West Wing has solicited students from the University for walk on/extra roles on their show.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
Old June 5th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Josh,

I live in Austin, and like everywhere else in the country, biz is in a slump, or even more on the nose, in the toilet. This is the combined effect of our horrible economy nationwide, along with runaway production. That said, there are a good number of opportunities for growth here, more so than many other cities in the country.

However, Austin, since it has been poised for so long to be the "Third Coast", has developed a slight case of elitism. It has become somewhat hard to break in here. My advice to you would be to get your own plan as to how you would run your own video business, and give that a whirl. You will have a higher chance for success than if you try to get a job somewhere right now.

Also, you will have positioned yourself above the level of "I'm needing a job" in the process. I learned this lesson the hard way, and after three months of damn near nothing, as I just moved here last September, I said the hell with it, I'M HIRED, and went into things with that approach, and it has been night and day.

At any rate, the same places you're probably familiar with post jobs, like the Texas Film Commission, Mandy.com, and other job boards as well. But, as you've noticed, the pickins are slim right now. My best advice I can give you is carve a niche of your own, and then spread out from there. If you want to talk more about Austin, you can send me an email at todd@ducttapefilms.com
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #87
New Boot

Where to send entries?

Do you have an address where to send entries for the film festival you plan to have in July?
Old June 6th, 2003, 01:32 AM   #88
Slash Rules!

Explain how you proceeded after your epiphany. You made business cards? Advertised in the paper? Online? Got yourself in the Austin Production Guide (if there's such a thing)? I am, in essence, a studio. I have an NLE, a camera, several lights, a real monitor. All I really need in more HD space, a faster comp, and possibly another cam (but not necessarily, right friends?). I am by nature a wussy and don't want to spend assloads of cash on ads when I a) don't have full confidence that I won't ever screw up on the job and b) don't know for sure if I'll ever get that cash back.
Old June 6th, 2003, 05:47 AM   #89
Regular Crew

I am doing anything and everything I can in the pursuit of business, including low tech methods like hanging up flyers on bulletin boards which works suprisingly well, perhaps even better than most other methods, I've noticed. If you're already listed in the Texas Production Guide, that's really the only listing that I'm aware of.

As far as more HD space goes, the next drive I'm going to get is one of those Firewire/IDE drives with 120 GB removable cartridges, incredibly cost effective ($300+$20/cartridge). you do need another camera to closely match your XL1s, I'm selling my XL1, since I'm using my DVX100 now.

As far as not having confidence you won't screw up on the job, well, that can work for your benefit, as you will have the tendency to fine tooth comb all your work I imagine. Perhaps, getting some daily E&O insurance for your shoots might put your mind more at ease. As far as advertising costs, I try to find the most inexpensive, result oriented, ways to advertise and proceed that way, you don't have to spend a fortune on it.
Old June 8th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Sounds interesting,

I'm in the Tampa area (Clearwater) and may be interested in working with you if I can find the time to drive to your area during the shoots. It is a ways from me though.

Even though I'm still weighing the pros and cons of the camera, I'll probably be purchasing a DVX100 camera very soon. I also use Vegas Video 4.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands