DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Helping Hands from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/3575-helping-hands-2003-a.html)

David C. Scott January 1st, 2003 03:26 PM

Looking for Atlanta-area Collaborators

I'm retired and have a great interest in making DV movies, particularly documentaries. In fact, I'm currently editing in FCP3 25+ hours of footage I shot this past summer at an organization that trains dogs to assist disabled persons. That shoot involved two XL1S cameras, a XL1 and a GL1 plus off-camera mics and, in some cases, lights. Individual sessions included the use of from one to four cameras, depending on the how much help I was able to rustle up. For the most part, I had enthusiastic assistants but either they had no experience or they were short on time (having to work for a living!).

I'm looking for someone who 1) has the luxury of time that I do (retirees are ideal), 2) is passionately interested in making video movies, 3)has experience in one or more filmmaking disciplines (shooting, audio, lighting, etc.) and 4)is serious enough about all of this to work for free for the foreseeable future, probably forever. My work so far (which includes a lot of still digital photoraphy) has been for non-profits but I have some ideas for shoots that might have commercial appeal. Eventually, I'd like to try some non-documentary material - with actors and scripts. Maybe some experimental things.

However, my summer project has convinced me I can't do the quality kind of job I want if I work alone. Besides, two (or more) heads frequently are better than one.

I'd be very interested in exploring the above over a cup of coffee with serious enthusiasts as described above and who live in the Atlanta area. DCS

David Mesloh January 13th, 2003 09:58 PM

count me in

I think we spoke before. I have Microdolly's crane, dolly track, tons of special effects equipment (rain, fire, wind, etc.) and a soon to be purchased Steadicam SK-2. Yee Haa........

David Mesloh
408-202-2214

Bob Safay January 18th, 2003 08:47 AM

What type of video are you planing on doing? I live in Atlanta and shot with an xl-1.

David C. Scott January 18th, 2003 02:06 PM

Soon I'll begin shooting another "doc" for an organization called "Canine Assistants" that trains Golden Retrievers and Labs to assist disabled persons. I've already shot last summer almost 30 hours and am now editing. The next project will take from 12 to 18 months (shooting now and then over that time period) and will follow a puppy from birth through training and eventual matching with a disabled recipient. In the meantime, I have another idea or two if the right partners come along.

Bob Safay January 19th, 2003 04:35 PM

David, That sounds interesting. I am 3 fun filled years away from retirement from the US Government. I do a lot of videos for the EPA on hazardous waste sites in the 8 southern states, plus, a short I am doing on nature for the Ocoee Whitewater Center in TN. I have been doing photography forever and video since 91. Went to the video school in Maine last year. My wife and I have been in Atlanta since 1984. We do a lot of eco-travel and videoed in Africa, the Amazon and heading down to Patagonia in Feb. I have a lot of B roll nature and travel. I now shoot with a Canon xl-1, but also have an xl-1s. I have footage on Hi-8 and regular 8mm. Oh, I also did the video for a community group on the history of Ducktown, TN. This is to be shown next week in Ducktown, TN.

Stuart Kupinsky January 23rd, 2003 08:37 PM

DC Area Shoot -- Call for help/interest

I've written a screenplay for a short and will be shooting it in the DC area the weekend of Feb. 22. I've got 2 VX2000s, two AT mics (4071a; 4073a), and a fairly sophisticated editing suite. I'm looking for some folks who know more about lighting than I do (translation: anything more than basics) and are fun-loving. We've got a fun group of 30-40yr olds.

I'll email the screenplay to anyone interested and you can read it and determine if you're interested in participating (even acting). The idea is to enter the short into some festivals for fun (and of course I'll put you in the credits). I have resources to buy whatever equipment is still needed (e.g., lights).

If you're interested in helping out, meeting some nice folks, and maybe acting, please drop me an email soon.

email@kupinsky.com

Thanks, -Stuart

Bob Safay February 2nd, 2003 07:34 AM

David, how is the project going? Like you I love to video. Capturing images to tell a story is still facinating to me. I would rather do documentary/educational videos than any others. I really believe that video is one of the best educational tools a person can use. I have found that by showing my management a video of a site really catches their attention.

Bruce Findleton February 5th, 2003 04:38 PM

East Bay

I'm in Pleasanton and am interested in -all- aspects of video production, movies especially. I have basic equipment to add to the pot if that helps.

Bruce Findleton
brucefin@attbi.com

Jay Reilly February 19th, 2003 12:13 AM

Looking for HELP in LA

Need a second camera for a Oct 11th wedding.

Would only be a 2-3 hour session...they just want 2 cameras for the ceremony.

If you rinterested, please send me a quote to jay@jayreilly.com

And if anyone needs help, from San Diego to San Fran...please give me a call
www.jayreilly.com

Thanks
Jay

Daniel Lafferty February 27th, 2003 12:45 PM

DV Users Wanted

We are a new company that produces dvs of corporate and charity golf outings. I'm trying to build a database of photogs proficient in XL1s to shoot for us. We can provide the cameras, but having access to your own would be a plus. So far we're looking at the Chicago, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., and Hartford, Conn., areas, but we have plans to expand across the country and in Europe, so we'd like to hear from those in other areas for the future. You can email us at ourteam@golfoutingtv.com, or visit our site at www.golfoutingtv.com. Thanks.

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2003 01:06 PM

Welcome Daniel

Good to see more Chicagoans here. Looks like a clever idea.

Rob Lohman February 27th, 2003 06:48 PM

Let me know when you are expanding to Europe. I might be
interested. I have an XL1s (PAL) of my own.

Thanks.

Jon Eriksson February 28th, 2003 04:38 AM

Put my name down as well - got my own PAL XL1s...

Edward Seid February 28th, 2003 09:43 AM

Lots of golf in Hawaii too. But I own a PD150, not an XL1. I guess I'm out of the club :(

Derek Beck March 3rd, 2003 12:26 AM

Live in LA? I need a filming location...

I'm not sure if I'll get any useful responses to this post, but what the heck.

I'm working on my first dialogue-driven short film. I've written the script myself, and am shooting it myself using a DV camera (I currently have a 1 CCD but am going to invest in either the DSRPDX10 or VX2000, but I'm not buying it until I have a location nailed down...) The film is expected to be a 20-30 minute short film, and I'd like to submit it to the Long Beach Film Festival in the end, but will surely also put it up at ifilm.com.

The story, titled "A Matter of National Security", is a comedy that follows two lieutenant Air Force officers (our protaganists) through an atypical day in Acquisitions (the business-side of the Air Force...a "gee-whiz" sounding but ultimately unthrilling part of the Air Force in which I serve...). The antagonist is their boss, a Major (a major weinie...his name is Major Oscar Meyer). The story is essentially the comedy of inter-office politics and is inspired by the film "Office Space" and the comic-strip "Dilbert".

I'm looking for a location to film this at. Essentially I need a furnished office (or a small room or cubicle area that could be furnished, but that's less than ideal), a small meeting room that can hold on the order of 15 people, hallway area, and any common area that has a large printer.

Los Angeles AFB has not been very helpful, nor has the neighboring Aerospace Corporation. I'm going to go roaming next weekend hopefully, but if anyone knows of any businesses that might be open to allowing a shoot, expected to be accomplished in a single weekend day, please let me know. Or if you have any tips in getting a location, anything. This is proving to be the hardest part.

Thanks,
Derek