Helping Hands from 2011 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Helping Hands from 2011

Hello. I'm located in Vancouver, Canada.
I had a call from someone this week who needs help with some upcoming shoots in West Palm Beach, Florida.
I'm not able to go, so I told him I would see if I could find someone local he could work with.
Here are the basics:
- Format is a studio style talk show, host and 1 guest
- Length about 20-25 minutes, shooting in February and March
- Initially will be recording 4 shows as pilots, could lead to more.
- Time required each show would be about 4-5 hours
- Will be a simple set, possibly set up in a hotel conference room. (Think "Charlie Rose" style)
- most of the equipment will be provided: 3 cameras (Canon XHA1) and 2 wireless mics.
- Lighting and set will be required - either rented or provided by the local producer
- The show owner/producer is also the host

So what he needs is an experienced videographer in the West Palm Beach area who knows the XHA1, and can set up and light a show. He asked me what it would cost but I don't know what local day rates are there.

Anyone have some ideas on rates for something like this? Know someone who would be good for the job? If anyone is interested please provide your contact info and I will pass it along. Also would appreciate the name of a good equipment rental place in the area.

Thanks very much in advance for any input.

Keith
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Keith,
I'm a little south of West Palm but I work up there frequently and have several freelance friends up there as well. For equipment rentals in the area I would recommend Bexel and if it's grip and lighting I have other contacts for that. If you want to pass my name along I can help put this together or point your client in the right direction. I've been in the business for 20 years and most of the people I work with have at least that much experience or more. I will send you my email and phone and you can take it from there.
Here is a link to a shoot one of my friends and I did for Si.com last month with my EX1R to give you some idea of the kind of stuff we do.
Namath talks tough about Jets - Video - SI.com

Mark Bolding
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark.
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

message sent
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike -- I've forwarded your response as well.

That should do it, this client now has two good contacts -- he can call Mike and Mark. That should give him a good start. Thanks everyone.

Keith
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Tourist

RI Short Film Production: Sound and Lighting Guy Needed!

Hello everyone,

Right now, I am gearing up to shoot an indie short film in and around Providence, RI. We hope to start filming in mid-February. I have many of the locations secured, and in two weeks, me and my producer will be finalizing the casting decisions.

With production only a little more than a month away, my top priority right now is assembling a crew. I have my producer, who will also stand in as a script supervisor. I will be directing the movie as well as operating the camera. There are still two positions I need to fill: Sound Technician and Lighting Aid.

I don't anticipate wanting a larger crew than this as we will often be shooting in small, and sometimes cramped, spaces. However, a talented, knowledgeable sound technician and lighting aid are necessary.

If you have any interest in joining this project, respond to the thread and I will be in contact with you.

Thanks!
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Jim,

Nice to see more people filming in RI. If for some reason you need a second camera let me know I am around for some of Feb.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; January 10th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Searching for videographer based in India

I need a videographer to shoot some video for a case-story in Padrauna, district Kushinagar, in India.
Job will take apx. 3-4 hours.

If you can help or you know who might be able to do this, please email asap.

Thanks,
Bjorn
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Trustee

Which state in India is this? Also, how much are you paying?
Old January 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I can answer the first...........

It's in far North East UP:

Padrauna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kushinagar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but not the second, tho' I think 3 - 4 hours don't include travel time from anywhere remotely cosmopolitan, especially without a rail service.

CS
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

No, I mean 3-4 hours at the location :-)

Besides that, I have several contacts now

Thank you.
Bjorn
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Editor for Wedding Footage

We are a photography studio based out of Pensacola, FL. We shot some wedding footage when we were photographing a destination wedding in Jamaica this past May 2010, and we'd like to hire someone to turn it into a finished wedding video for our client. We want to use as much of the footage as we can, and have it be a really nice piece set to music.

We need menu sections -

a) "highlights" reel
b) getting ready
c) ceremony
d) reception
e) client footage captured from their Flip video.

The source files are all 5D Mark II files, so PLEASE don't tell me you can do this job, and then start giving me excuses about not being able to read the 5D Mark II files, or tell me that your editing station is having trouble with the size of the files, or whatever. If you are a whiz with 5D Mark II audio and video files, then this will be an easy job for you.

The other BIG note - we were there to be photographers, so our supply of video footage is incomplete at best. It is important to us that we integrate stills throughout the video to fill holes, and bridge gaps in the video. If you are not a whiz at creating "fusion" products, or you are unfamiliar with inserting stills into Final Cut, this is not the job for you.

We'd like to get this turned around to the client in about three weeks or so.

If you'd like to bid on this job, please email fixed price bids to meg@megphoto.com. You can also call me at (850) 766-3847 if you have questions.

Thanks!
~ Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Major Player

5D Mk II files are not a problem. Client Flip video not a problem. Filling in hles with "pan and scan" of your photos is not a problem. What is a problem is what exactly you want. How long a video? What music does the client want? Does the DVD need those categories:
a) "highlights" reel
b) getting ready
c) ceremony
d) reception
e) client footage captured from their Flip video.

Just asking because all of this matters in a quote/bid to edit said footage. I'm interested, but need to know these facts ahead of time before I agree/contract to do the work.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:19 AM   #14
Trustee

$$ Massachusetts shooter with either a Panasonic AF100, Sony F3 or Canon XF300 needed

Their is a concert that I'm going to shoot during the end of March in Tewksbury, Massachusetts and I'm looking for people who might own either of those cameras to help me shoot it.

I know the F3 isn't out yet but it should be during that time. I'll even consider the Scarlet(If it's out), GH2, or the Ikonoskop RAW DII. While I'm at it, maybe even a Red or Arri Alexa shooter can be considered although that's only if the budget will allow it.

In your email please give me your rates for perhaps 1 to 2 hours of shooting and rather or not you own a tripod or some type of stabilizer support. Not required since I might have extras in case. Also please tell me which lenses you use.

It's going to be an interesting event and I can't give any details.
Use this email address.
PauloTeixeira111@hotmail.com
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hey Bob:

All good questions - part of what I don't know is exactly how much usable footage there is going to be. We only used one camera (one angle) the entire time. It is all 5DMKII footage. I actually left out some of the sections, so I'm glad you asked. There are three days of coverage that we captured footage from:

- Day One: Rehearsal (approximately 2 hours of video & audio (toasts only))
- Day Two: Wedding (approximately 6 hours of video, almost no audio except for the vows
- Day Three: Newlywed Session (approximately 3 hours of video, no audio)

I pretty much want this to be a traditional wedding video - meaning that I want to use all of the footage that I can, and have it broken into sections on the DVD. So I don't know how long the video will be because I don't know how much of the footage you can use & make it interesting. But I would guess that after cutting crappy takes, and stuff that just didn't work, we'd probably end up with around 2 hours of edited footage. That is a complete guess though (and obviously, you won't know until you see the footage either).

As far as music, do you have a questionnaire I can send to my clients? Or should I just ask them for some songs that they like? I would be very open to simply using your recommendations & favorites from your library as well.

The main thing I was alluding to in my original post is that we want the DVD to have "chapters". Here is a revised list:

1) "Highlights" Reel - the best footage from the entire edit, set to one song (3-4 minutes in length) with creative editing & color work (saturated colors)

2) Rehearsal - basic editing set to music with simple, straights cuts.

3) Wedding Day - basic editing set to music with simple, straight cuts. Four chapters for this section.
- Getting Ready
- Ceremony
- Formals
- Reception

4) Client footage captured from their Flip video.

I'm open to having some flexibility in the pricing...I just really hate working on an hourly basis because it is so open ended. So maybe a "range" of prices, with a "not to exceed" ceiling? Would that be easier?

~ Charles
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands