Helping Hands from 2013 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old April 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: How can I get some experience editing footage (and shooting if possible)?

Hi Kevin, look around your area for video camera clubs, but don't race in and join up. See if you can check their references, talk to current members,
ask around to find out whether it'll suit what you want to do.

There maybe trainee openings at your community TV outlet, especially if you'll work for free. If you do get in, never ever be late, always offer to help ..
and learn to make a good cup of tea. Even if you have to travel a bit, try working out a work schedule. Then again, there might be a local video wedding outfit you could team up with, even just carrying the gear to start with. Or a company that does real estate videos, or legal depositions.

Where ever you get started, you'll be on your way to building a valuable reputation in the industry and it takes time, perserverance and plain hard work.
Good luck.

Cheers.
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Re: Orange County - Event Wedding Cinematographer videographer

Guys, not a good idea to post addresses, use Private Messaging.

Cheers.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:09 AM   #78
New Boot

Camera Jib Operator Wanted ..::PAID::..

Hi,

We are looking for someone in Cancun Mexico Jib Operator with 12 to 42' jib we are going from Canada to shoot Wedding video there. If any one know any jib rental place there please reply or MSG me that would be great help. I try to search in Google but no luck. Please Help me if any one know

Thanks
Sunni
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:05 AM   #79
Trustee

I'd certainly have a chat to all the local production companies you may crack some work with one of them and wedding videographers are always on the lookout for someone who can assist and edit. I'd certainly consider giving you a try, mind you the swim here and back is a killer.
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:33 AM   #80
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
and learn to make a good cup of tea.
That's Australian for coffee :)
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM   #81
Major Player

Thanks all. Good info. I am torn to be honest..I need 4 of me to do all that I enjoy. I absolutely love my DSLR rig. I love being able to shoot video, try to frame the shot right. I am still learning with regards to lighting, the right ISO/speed/etc settings. It's so much fun to do. I also happen to love the audio side of things. I am drooling at the H6N and plan to get it when it comes out. I have one good (I say good, it was $220..thats a bit of a price for a mic to me) XLR boom, I use my Audio Technica XLR as a 2nd mic and use a third smaller/cheaper boom attach to my T2i input for a alignment track. So I love that part of it as well. And then there is editing.. which is also a lot of fun. I am still trying to figure out how to accurately match footage shot at different times of the day, thus different lighting, as well as grading for the final output, on top of learning how to cut and assemble video (and audio including sync).

Thus, my problem.. wanting to do it all. I've read that typically you try to stick to one thing and do it well. But as a hobbyist right now, I have a hard time with that. I know I have a lot more to learn in every area, but I want to learn every area. At least with regards to using the camera, audio and editing.

But ultimately I probably enjoy the editing part the most. If I had an opportunity to get paid to shoot video, manage audio, or edit, I'd want to edit.

Paul, thank you for the potential opportunity. I think what would probably benefit me the most is the offer to get some "test" footage from someone that knows how to edit/grade, see what I can do and give me constructive criticism. I often wonder how big budget films work out because the editor as far as I know is probably not on the set while recording is going on, so they may not see the same vision the director is going for. Do editors typically follow the script the direcotr (and whoever else) filmed by and do their best to understand the same vision as those that shot/directed it?

Thanks again all.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:08 AM   #82
Major Player

Filming one hour in Silver Spring, MD

Hello,

I have a friend who's a musician and I was going to film him on June 15th, in some Blues Festival in Silver Spring, Maryland. His performace will last less than an hour.
We had agree of 500 bucks, with editing, which shouldn't be tht complicated.
Now, I'm going to be traveling for family reasons and wont' be able to do it.
Is there anybody on this forum, local, who could do that for the same amount of money?
Thanks
Larry
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM   #83
Regular Crew

Re: Filming one hour in Silver Spring, MD

You probably mean this festival:

Silver Spring Blues Festival at Downtown Silver Spring

What did you commit to camera wise? What kind of access will the shooter(s) have to the stage for miking?
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #84
Major Player

I have a Canon XH A1 . I'm not sure what's the access though, never been there, but you're right, it's the festival you pointed out
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM   #85
Trustee

Kevin,

If you're confident in your abilities - and it sounds like you are - then do not be afraid to be pro-active and contact local businesses, bands or sporting clubs offering them a free video or two. Be upfront with them and say you're looking to get into the business and can offer them xyz for free. Set your terms though - for example, if you really want to work on your interview set-ups, tell them you'll only shoot a project that includes interviews - that way you are gaining something from it too.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM   #86
Inner Circle

If you search the festival name in YouTube, you'll get a good idea of what the set up would be.

Looks like outdoor festival in a mall, with bad acoustics and just people wandering in front of shot.

Probably a mission impossible it terms of customer satisfaction ? Also, the scheduling of time seems loose, with flyer indicating times subject to change.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM   #87
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey View Post
Hi all,

Not sure this is the best place for this, can't find a specific forum that this may go under.

Basicaly, I've been learning/using Adobe NLE on Windows for years. I am not a pro, but I have enough knowledge to put a project together and edit various video, including syncing audio tracks and such. I'd love to find a way into this business, but am not sure how I could become an editor for someone's project, and more so, assuming I was good enough, how much to charge. What is the going rate for an editor of footage anyway? In my case I'd be happy to do some work for free if I could gain some experience from it and someone was willing to pull the trigger with me. I plan on buying a 4K BM camera with the Davinici software and learn to use that eventually. I've done a little bit with AE but mostly from tutorials.

I also have some gear I'd love to use to shoot with, although I am aware that I'd be bound to a limited range within the area I live in, but would love to know how I can get on some shoots to get some more experience?

Thank you.
Kevin: Where in California ?

If you are interested in narrative film making, there are all kinds of organizations that feature people like you and I who make film for the love of it. Check internet for local film making groups. The local 48 Hour film festivals are a good way to get involved in depth real quick.

Biggest problem you will have is learning to say no. A lot of these groups have people with big ideas about shooting this or that, and they won't hesitate to take advantage of what you can provide them without charge In fact, with respect to most shooting in local independent productions, not much money gets paid out to crew. I have yet to see anyone but wedding shooters and commercial shooters making a living in the business. There are just so many people running around with gear these days that are willing to shoot a day or two on a project just for the experience that budgets for productions don't give much to camera pointers. You just got to love it.

On the other hand, if you are not trying to make it a paying career, you have the freedom to do what you want. Its certainly much easier to fund your camera and gear "habit" from a better paying career, and then shoot things you want to shoot with like minded people.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:36 AM   #88
Regular Crew

There are at least two venues, but absent permission to set up on stage, capturing decent audio is problematic. I know the "stealth" tapers do it but that could mean a two-man crew.

Wondering what sort of editing is expected on a single-camera shoot. Also would need the delivery format and turn-around time.

Sorry to keep asking questions but it could be a huge waste of time otherwise. For instance, is the festival "harsh" with videographers not on their crew?
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:08 PM   #89
Major Player

The guy doesn't expect professional services for 500 bucks. he knows what can be expected for that amount of money. Initially that was a favor I was going to do him and I wish I could but I'm not available anymore.
If somebody is interested I can have you talk to him and ask him anything you need to know
Larry
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:39 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Re: Orange County - Event Wedding Cinematographer videographer

Hey greg, I'm in Maryland for a shoot right now, when I get back on monday i'll be sending you an email. I looked through your profile and was able to find your info.
-chris
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands