Need a volunteer shooter for short interview Las Vegas 11-4 or 5 or 6 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Old November 4th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Space Hipster

Need a volunteer shooter for short interview Las Vegas 11-4 or 5 or 6

Need a volunteer shooter for short interview Looking for a volunteer video shooter with HD camera, tripod and basic audio anytime today through Wednesday.

What we need just a few sound bytes, lighting does not need to be perfect and subject will likely have material memorized.

This is for a Kickstarter video for non-profit project In Saturn's Rings | Giant screen space film for IMAX®, fulldome and giant screen theaters. You will get credit and perks. Interview is with the film's distributor.

Thanks!
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Need a volunteer shooter for short interview Las Vegas 11-4 or 5 or 6

I've noticed more and more "volunteer" help wanted lately, along with paying a shooter $10-15 per hour. Is this the current trend for finding shooters? Has doing video become a charity worldwide? Just wondering.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

CraigsList is full of these - I hope it won't spill over onto DVinfo.
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I could not agree more and honestly hope we can keep the "shoot for credit" mentality elsewhere.
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Come on guys, they said you get 'perks" too...

lol
Robert Rinkewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Major Player

the day "perks" pays the bills I'll be all over stuff like this :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Uh, I'm confused. As I read their policies, KickStarter clearly prohibits non-profit projects. They do that so they aren't inundated with them.

So if you shoot this project for free, you can also count on it not being seen by anyone.

Don't get me wrong: I've done my share of pro bono work for good causes. But you've got to draw the line somewhere. It seems like everyone wants everything done for free, nowadays. For some reason lots of folks think what they do for a living has value, but what we do doesn't.

Curious: Why don't YOU shoot it, Stephen?

Last edited by Charles Newcomb; November 13th, 2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: afterthought
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It is not so flash over here for a few in Western Australia either.

It is interesting to see the rental for the RED EPIC compared to the ALEXA in our local vendor's rate card.

http://locequip.squarespace.com/stor...ary%202013.pdf

LEMAC over east were renting rent their REDs cheaper than the SI2K. Apparently the SI2K's were still going out at that higher price. They have become a bit discreet with their rate card these days with the higher rent stuff being listed POA.

Lemac Rentals - Digital Cinema

There are quite a few RED EPICS and SCARLETS here in Perth and some of the owners let gear and themselves out for unsustainably low rates, which I guess our local vendor is forced to compete against.

Here, nobody wants the SI2Ks anymore except for projects the owners become personally involved in or if we are prepared to give them and our time away for free which we will not do.

Some aspiring crew guys also let themselves out for unsustainably low rates as well. In the small contained industry here, it hurts those who have made it their livelihood. There is no guarantee of employer loyalty when the cargo plane comes home and their career takes off.

Among some of the up and comers, there seems to be this "entitlement" thing going. Then there are some who are really warrant being around. - There have been one or two contest projects I have helped out a bit in my limited fashion when it is obvious they are going to wing it with subpar gear and no rental vendor is going to lose out.

The moneymen will screw people down to the cheapest deal. That's their craft. That's what they do. If the new people line up to unsustainably hawk themselves and their hard-won equipment for near to free, the moneymen are not about to discourage them. It has been happening in the transport industry for years.

Last edited by Bob Hart; November 14th, 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

My thoughts on working for free are in my blog...

Part two is here:
When Should I Work For Free? Part Two | Road Dog Media

Part one is pretty tongue in cheek...
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm only responding because I walked away from my media business for this very reason.

Unfortunately there are countless weekend shooters that have DSLRs and a decent tripod that will work for free ... and provide a quality that's acceptable to customers who don't really care (and some that do).

I recently was asked to do a pro-bono project for a trade organization I'm part of ... I asked them to rent a light kit and a shotgun mic for the shoot. They said no, they wanted to do the project for $0. I said OK and walked away from it. During our annual convention, I saw that they got someone else from the organization to bite, they had a 5D and a Rode video mic. I was impressed by the gear, but shook my head when they where shooting at night, in the desert, with no lights and the tripod was about stomach level shooting up the interviewees nose, with live band playing behind him. I didn't see the footage, but I laughed at the thought of it. If they post it to the organizations website, I'll laugh harder!

For my job now, I still get to do all the creative production work I was doing independently, I just do it for a single company. Fortunately the company I work for was a startup and I have full creative control to build the companies marketing as I see fit ... I rarely have a budget, but at least I get paid a salary.

I've found that simply owning a camera and knowing how to use it is not enough these days, you need to know how to package yourself as a unique product, how to market yourself and how to sell yourself. Philip Bloom is a great example of this ... he's a good cinematographer, but not better than some I know ... what he did so well, was turn his name into a brand and market it globally.

I can't really comment too much though, I just posted a pro-bono gig. But at least in that situation it's for a legitimate non-profit group, I can give you access to a great event, feed you the whole time, put you up in a hotel (even if the room is shared), it's a ton of fun and you walk away with tons of demo worthy footage.

Last edited by George Tasick; November 22nd, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
George Tasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Well I think that sums it up George. You walked away from your business because of no-pay jobs only to turn around and offer a no-pay job to others. The media careers are a commodity right now. Expertise is not valued as high as other things like convenience.

As George stated, as long as we know that you can direct your business to an area that might support opportunity.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Trustee

Guys,

I agree with the comments that this post turned into. But on the more positive side of things I want to state that I had good luck finding competent help here in the past. They were far from being pro-bono jobs. I pay well and expect a professional ROI. It was quite a while ago but my results were good.

About eight years ago I hired a former wrangler to assist me on a gig in his area. I liked him so much I booked him for work in five other states, including Hawaii. He has since fallen off the map. Does anyone remember John Locke?

A few years ago I found a crew in Green Bay to shoot a gig at Lambeau Field that I directed. The crew members (two camera ops & one audio guy, with their gear) were a referral from a post I made here. That video can be seen here www.facebook.com/corporateshow it is the video named Transitions, After the Game.

If you go there you will see that my face book page is currently all stuff I have put there in the last month, in development and fragmented. Why am I just starting to jump on the social media band wagon. Because after more than twenty five years in business I now need to. All of my previous work came word of mouth and my fees did not used to be a major consideration. The world has changed. Even in the corporate market where my clients are….money matters. I am actively seeking new clients when three years ago I had all the work I could handle.

My point is, if you need a crew, there are many credible people here at DVINFO. The guys that are asking for people to work for food probably don’t know what the term craft services is. We are all here and it is a diverse community. So don’t let the “perks” type of posts discourage you from looking for help here, it has worked for me.

I am saying more than I should on a public forum, but hey, I have never pretended to be something I’m not. I am hesitant about even posting the link to my face book page. Please be kind, I am working on it.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands