Helping Hands from 2014 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old July 15th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #46
Regular Crew

English speaking actor in Guangdong, China

Looking for an English speaking actor in Guangdong, China

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I would try my luck.

I'm going to be producing a bunch of product demo videos for a client in Guangdong China. The videos are nothing complicated, just a person talking about and demonstrating the features of the products.

I've never done any work in China before, and I have no idea where to start looking. If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks!
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Re: English speaking actor in Guangdong, China

Yossi, try getting hold of one of these guys, they are in Beijing, but that is a connection in China nonetheless. They are both camera operators, but they speak english and are in the know people, Its all I can think of right now.
I was shooting in Beijing last month, english speaking was limited but I got by, being polite and smiling went a long way.
If you contact either of them, tell them they were refereed by Adam from Brooklyn (he is a friend of mine).
Good luck, let me know if I can help in any other way,

Erick

Lui:
luirui@gmail.com
Ming:
artyming@yahoo.com
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #48
Trustee

what about shooting it with a demonstrator and adding voice over later?
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #49
Major Player

Re: Palm Beach Gardens area : Promo Video

Ken,

Just saw this, if you ever need a production company in the West Palm Beach area please contact me.

Thanks, Mark
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Munari View Post
Yossi, try getting hold of one of these guys, they are in Beijing, but that is a connection in China nonetheless. They are both camera operators, but they speak english and are in the know people, Its all I can think of right now.
I was shooting in Beijing last month, english speaking was limited but I got by, being polite and smiling went a long way.
If you contact either of them, tell them they were refereed by Adam from Brooklyn (he is a friend of mine).
Good luck, let me know if I can help in any other way,

Erick

Lui:
luirui@gmail.com
Ming:
artyming@yahoo.com
Thanks, I will get in touch with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
what about shooting it with a demonstrator and adding voice over later?
That's a good idea, thanks
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #51
Major Player

Shooters Needed in Edmonton, Winnipeg & Calgary

I am looking for a shooter on following dates at following locations

August 15th in EDMONTON 7 pm - 11 pm

August 31st in EDMONTON 6pm - 10:30 pm

Calgary / Banff - August 16-18 Half Day and Full Day

August 23rd - Winnipeg 7 am - 4pm

Please e-mail me at info at skybluepro.com or private message me

Thanks
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #52
Major Player

Toronto - Looking for a DP with it's own 2K-4K camera

Hi all,

I now reside in Quebec City but will be moving to Toronto on October 1st. I have a short feature film, “Blind Date”, that is ready to enter production and I’d like it to be the first project I direct once I am in TO.

Before going any further I have to say that everybody’s involvement in this project is entirely voluntary and is thus for the benefit of each other’s portfolios. Of course I fully intend on giving you the same amount of time on one of your project, lending you equipment or accept any sensible exchange that might help you in return.

I would define “Blind Date” in three words : mature, urban and sophisticated. These words can also describe the visual style needed from you, a sharp, desaturated look with overblown whites. It tells the story of two thirty-ish singles who meet on a blind date in a fine restaurant. Things are looking well but an unexpected twist will take the film from serious to comedy.

On the technical side

-3:00 length
-There is no dialogue or sound, audio is done in post
-1 day shoot with these locations
-Restaurant
-2 bathrooms
-Sidewalk
-Taxi
-2 comedians and 1 extra (2 female, 1 male)

There is one big reason why I need to shoot in super Hi-res : I will need to zoom in pretty much every shots, once we discuss the project in further details you’ll understand why. If you have an EF mount I can contribute with a couple of my lens that are nice.

I edit in Vegas and my information might be outdated but last I look Blackmagic files and PC's didn't seem to go hand in hand. If you have the Blackmagic I will need to do a test first.

If you color grade that would be awesome, though I believe Blind Date will only require a fine CC.

A little bit about myself. I am 36 years old and I have 10 years of experience mostly directing and editing. So far I’ve dabbled more in corporate productions but I do have a few creative projects under my belt. My move to Toronto marks a shift in my life and career as I will tend to do more creative projects from then on. So if things go well between us this might be the start of a great professional relationship. I can describe myself as friendly and as easygoing as can be, but I am also mighty resourceful and rigorous and I would hope to find the same in you.

My new website is still under construction but you can watch my work on my Youtube channel

Philippe Gosselin - YouTube

PM or email me and let’s talk.

email : phil AT philvideofilm DOT com

Thanks!
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:15 AM   #53
Major Player

Re: Toronto - Looking for a DP with it's own 2K-4K camera

Is this how far the devaluation of a DP has gone? We no longer get a personal pronoun, we're reduced to being an "it?"

Sad. So sad.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:06 PM   #54
Major Player

Re: Toronto - Looking for a DP with his/her own 2K-4K camera

I am so sorry that English is not my first language, sometimes errors like that one slip into my writing and I just don't see it.

Besides, doesn't the very fact that I made this post nullifies your supposed devaluation?

If I thought DP's were s**t why would go on spending all that energy looking for one?
Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:25 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin View Post
If I thought DP's were s**t why would go on spending all that energy looking for one?
Yes, writing a forum post is spending "all that energy." If you really thought this project was worth doing, why isn't it worth raising the money in order to do it right when you have to ask a total stranger for help?

Shouldn't you instead move to Toronto and pay your dues by helping out with the film community there before you start begging for free labor and equipment rental?

Especially when you make technical demands. Plenty of great 1080p cameras out there that some free wannabe videographer can shoot with for you.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:11 PM   #56
Trustee

Relax guys, nothing wrong with looking for some help on a 1-day short film. The OP is moving to a new city and probably doesn't know anyone in Toronto yet so he's looking for some like-minded people to collaborate and shoot a fun piece on their free time. I see no problem with that. This forum is a resource we use for many things, and as Phil has been a member for some time, he should definitely be able to at least ask if anyone is interested in helping him shoot a fun comedy short.

I dislike how this forum can tend to jump all over members looking for help on their projects. If this was a corporate or paid gig, that's one thing, but sometimes we like to do things just for the fun of it – professional DP or not. It's important to value yourselves adequately, but give the guy a break for looking to simply create with some new friends. The 4K technical aspect is important to his creative vision, so what's wrong with that?

Does no one else on this forum shoot projects just for the fun of it anymore? I certainly do from time to time, and it's what keeps me sane. Good luck Phil, I hope you find someone to help execute your vision.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:42 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Does no one else on this forum shoot projects just for the fun of it anymore?
There is a difference between shooting "just for the fun of it" for people who are contributing to a community, and those who waltz in and start making technical demands of what you need to have.

And if you have a Blackmagic 4K, which is something he says he has issues with, then you're also required to shoot tests. And that's a likely setup for someone who'll jump at this offer.

Beggers shouldn't be choosers. Rubs people the wrong way.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:54 PM   #58
Major Player

Please allow me to clarify as I do not appreciate being painted as a "taker"...sorry I meant "beggar".

Carefully read this quote from my original post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin View Post
Of course I fully intend on giving you the same amount of time on one of your project, lending you equipment or accept any sensible exchange that might help you in return.
Just a few ideas from the top of my head for what the above may entail

-You number 1 client is throwing a big event? Give him a nice gift by sending me cover it and I make a nice montage afterwards
-Need an assistant for a shoot? I'll do it for 2-3 days. Of course bill your client but you put the money in your pocket, that's a cool 500-700$ right there
-Your daughter is getting married? Cool, I'll do her wedding day
Etc...

That's what I mean by "all that time and energy". I fully appreciate the time and talent that the DP will invest in my short feature so I want to return it in spades.

So no, I am not looking for a freebie nor do I feel like a beggar or taker.

Hope things are clearer.

Phil

ps, Thanks Nate!

pps, In case of a Blackmagic, sending me a 1 second clip will suffice to test it in Vegas, no need to shoot anything.
Old August 30th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #59
Major Player

Hi all,

Here is a video presentation, which contain pretty much the same information as in my original post, but with the video you'll be able to see me and thus have a better impression of who I am. Thanks!

Old September 4th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #60
Trustee

let's do it;
I have Epic and GH4, so we can even shoot 2 cameras, it's not the same:), but i tweaked custom profile and it's pretty close to REDlogFilm, and if there is no need for the second cam we an shoot all in 5K.
i am also OK steadicam op,
and a gear junkie in general:)

welcome to Toronto!
let's shoot it;

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands