DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Freelance Job Websites (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/536460-freelance-job-websites.html)

Jeff Zimmerman December 7th, 2018 08:37 PM

Freelance Job Websites

Hello Everyone, wondering if anyone knows for some freelance job websites they have had success with?

Currently have successfully used:

Smartshoot.com

ProductionHUB.com

Thanks! -Jeff

Paul Cronin December 8th, 2018 07:50 AM

Re: Freelance Job Websites

Jeff,

Thanks for posting were you have had success. I have tried all of them without any success. I still get my work by word of mouth, through my site, or gorilla marketing.

Jeff Zimmerman December 8th, 2018 01:29 PM

Thanks Paul, always curious where people find work. Very much the same thru referrals. 2019 I’m hoping to open up for some new client. New website in progress.

Josh Bass December 9th, 2018 12:22 AM

The general consensus is that unfortunately the successful folks in our industry do NOT find their clients through those types of sites or people googling "videographer [insert city/town]" -- perhaps wedding folks aside-- but through hardcore pavement pounding/cold calling, aggressive self promotion/networking, and referrals/word-of-mouth.

That said, I'm terrible at everything I listed above and have scored a few gigs from Production Hub, Mandy, Gigsalad, Thumbtack, Craigslist, maybe a few others. Also unfortunately many of those sites only allow those with paid profiles (as opposed to the free listings) to pursue leads on the site, though potential clients can still contact you even if you have a free profile.

Also, when I say I've "scored a few gigs" I mean it literally...just a handful in the entire time I've been in the industry, from any/all of those sites. My main clients are a few folks that thankfully keep coming back and have for more than a decade, the rest are the occasional finds from those sites, people who find ME from a search and everything works out, and a few that I hear from 1-3 times a year if that.

Hugh DiMauro April 14th, 2020 09:23 AM

Josh:

I cannot believe you are not in great demand in the industry based on your talents. Your claymation shorts alone should have caused your great "discovery." "Non Practicing Productions." Remember? Oy vey...

Josh Bass April 14th, 2020 09:30 AM

Thanks. I remember. Somehow it didnt pan out that way though...

Andrew Smith April 15th, 2020 04:23 AM

Well, there's always the music career to fall back on.

Andrew

Josh Bass April 15th, 2020 05:16 AM

I don’t want to brag cause everyone is suffering right now, but I have made TENS of dollars in the music industry.

Andrew Smith April 15th, 2020 05:33 AM

Try playing the bagpipes. People are usually prepared to pay good money for it to stop.

Andrew

Josh Bass April 15th, 2020 01:58 PM

Genius. I don’t know what the technical term is being paid NOT to do something obnoxious but it’s definitely a business avenue worth exploring.

David Peterson April 17th, 2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1958978)
Genius. I don’t know what the technical term is being paid NOT to do something obnoxious but it’s definitely a business avenue worth exploring.

This does happen in hollywood.

People will go around trying to find a film shooting, then start up their leaf blower until someone from production pays them off to go away

Josh Bass April 17th, 2020 07:34 PM

Diabolical.