Helping Hands from 2007 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old February 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #91
Major Player

Hi,

He is planning to have it edited and put together either a video. He just needs me to shoot it but later I may end having to do the editing if he doesn't have someone else complete it for him. What's the going rate for day rate with the HD 100U? I have not had the camera that long really and this is the first client that will be charged a rate. So, any input you can provide on the current rates will be helpful.

Thank you
Lisa
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #92
Inner Circle

I would shoot him a price on just the footage and on a completed project. You have to realize that your camera or one like it is about the only way to capture the footage you are going to take. He probably does not understand a bit of this.

Not meaning to be cruel, but shoot him a higher price for just the footage and a reasonable price for a completed project. Then see what happens!

This is assuming that you can do a complete project, as I don't know your skill or equipment level.

Mike
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #93
Major Player

Thanks again for the help.

Sounds like a good idea to quote it out both ways.

I haven't quoted a price out to clients yet using the HD camera so I was curious to know what the going rates are for a videographer and an HD camera. I was a little worried that I might overprice or undercut myself. But, I'll see what the client says and hopefully get the project.

Once again, thank you for the feedback.
Lisa
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #94
Major Player

FWIW, a local indie I sometimes work for

doesn't own an HD cam, only shoots in DVCPRO, and won't accept work for less than
$ 110 per hour, unless it's a complete project, (e.g. camera work, editing, burning), and he'll make a couple/few grand on it.

This is in the metro-NYC area.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #95
Major Player

Try $400/day plus equipment rental. I use a Z1 and the going day rate is around $400. Add in tripods, sound equipment, lighting and you could be looking at $1,000 - $1,400 a day.

Jim
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #96
Inner Circle

It depends on many factors. How skilled are you? Are you an established videographer or just starting? Do you forsee a longer relationship with this client? Could this be used to gain other clients?

I have done jobs just for showing off what I can do and hoping this will bring paying clients later...
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #97
Inner Circle

Lisa,
You've gotten some very helpful advice here. One of the hardest things to do is try to tell someone a rate for a job as there are so many variable factors such as; demographics, geographics, marketplace, competition,your experience, your skills, your gutsiness to look at potential client in the eye and say "my price is $..." and stick to your guns even when you're sure the client will say "are you nuts" (sometimes you goota call 'em even when you got a pair of dueces in your hand)

I can only tell that the rates here in my area (Chicago) would be far diferent than your area-than NY,Boston,Dallas, Canada and Australia.

Typically though (at least according to everyone I've talked to) rates are based on a 10 hour day for a BASIC package-camera, tripod, (batteries of course) on camera light, on camera audio (some may throw in 1 wireless setup) and an operator. These rates HERE in my area will vary from $600 to about $1800 with an average of somewhere between $1000 and $1200. This is for either a BETA setup or somethine like a DSR500 or 400/450. HD packages seem to be about $200 to 400 per day more.
Adds like an audio guy with a mixer or boom or a light setup or a second camera and operator is a seperate charge and will vary all over the map.
So it's really hard to jump in and say charge this amount too many things are different. I would suggest you check around in your neck of the woods try to get a handle on the general pricing in the area, for a gig like the one you're going to do, set a rate and go for it.
Just because you're new to the HD100 doesn't mean you should automatically charge less-your client doesn't know it's a new piece of gear to you right? Just make sure you know the gear inside and out so you can give the client a top notch piece of work.
BTW, give him 2 quotes, 1 - shoot only NO editing (thats what he said he wanted) and a backup (I call it my "Oh BTW, just in case you were wondering..." backup) SHOOT and EDIT-he probably doesn't realize all thats involved in the edit and thinks his nephew with some sort of editing software will be able to edit and produce the piece,remember, they don't see the edit they only see the photography.
Good luck to you,

Don
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch

Not meaning to be cruel, but shoot him a higher price for just the footage and a reasonable price for a completed project. Then see what happens!

Mike
Hey Lisa,

Quote him a really really high price and send Mike over to shoot it. :}

Seriously though, I agree it comes down to demographics, skill level, equipment etc. I do however believe that if this client had the 'someone' to do the editing, they wouldn't necessarily need you. So they might not be thinking too much into this project technically, which may be a reason to ask more questions about the expectations for the day of the shoot. They may be thinking that you can shoot the material and thier 8 year old son can edit it at school using his 5 year old mac eyeball.
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #99
Major Player

Lisa, Most people have a half day rate and a full day rate. You will have to establish your own rates, based on many factors. A lot of which has already been mentioned. In south florida, the rates vary even from central florida. You have to find what is going to work best for you. You posted that he wants 2 hours of hd footage, you need to be a little more specific when you post. Are you shooting for 2 hours total, and maybe only 30 minutes of footage or do they want 2 hours of footage and you'll be shooting for 6 hours? This helps us determine what you should charge based on your gear, skill and time of work. The more specific you are the better we can help.
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #100
Major Player

Hello,

I really do appreciate everyone's input. Glad to see there are some other people from FL here, too.

The call I received was that the client needed someone to tape for 2 hours. He has a booth at a show for his car cleaning products and decided he wanted someone to come for 2 hours and take some footage to show off his products. I'll know more today about what his plans are, how he is planning to use the footage, etc.

I've done other work but not with this camera (HD100U) and was curious to find out the going rates for HD camera and videographer. The input I recieved has been helpful, as it always is on this site. It's amazing how many people are willing to help, even the people with multiple years of experience.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
Lisa
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #101
Major Player

Lisa, Thanks for the details. If you're just shooting for 2 hours and handing off the tape you could charge a half day rate. My estimation would be between $350 - $500. That may seem like a lot to the client, but when you figure in your rate to shoot for 2 hours, gear, drive time, tape stock and so on, this is a fair range. If you're hoping to get future business from this client, you can discount your rate 10-15% but future business is not guaranteed unless you have it in a contract. So make sure you get paid fairly for the shoot. You can always work out any editing rates in the future. In fact you could tell him you'll cut him a discount if he hires you for the editing, since he used you as the shooter. Good luck
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #102
Major Player

Oregon: XL-H1, A1 or G1 users wanted!

I have a small production company based in Salem, Oregon. We produce work throughout the state and sometimes need extra help/cameras.

We actively work on both paid projects and fun creative work. Anyone in the Salem, Portland, Eugene, Corvallis area in Oregon that might want to meet with us? Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #103
Major Player

Talent

Does anyone know where to go online to get local talent? We're shooting a movie in the upcoming months, and we were thinking about trying to have people in it it, too. Thanks.
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #104
Major Player

Craigslist.org usually brings out a good number of people. I have had some luck there. In DC there is an actor's mailing list also - might be one in your area too... find some working actors and ask them what they read.
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #105
Major Player

ok, thanks. I've tried craigslist, but the people I've talked to are kinda scatterbrained so far.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands