in need of voice over talent but dont cant afford the expensive ones... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

www.internetjock.com is a great source for voice overs. Reasonably priced and very fast. You don't get to direct the read, but you do get one do-over included in the price. They do great work.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Free!?

That would make it worth what?

Ty Ford
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #18
Trustee

I recently used speedspots.com and was really suprised with the good results for a documentary introduction. A one and a half minute spot was $75. They have alot of different talent with samples on their website. What really helps is to submit a mp3 sample file of a style that you like and they can emulate it. Also a clear written script with direction notes can help as well as audio samples of difficult to pronounce words is important.

I am a believer in you get what you pay for but in this case I think I found a bargin.

Hope this helps,
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I know of three great profesional talents that will lend thier voice for free for not for profit pieces. I would be happy to refer them to you if you fire me an email. Each of thier styles are different but Mid age warm voice we can knock out.

Let me know if I can help.
What is your time frame?
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #20
Inner Circle

In as pleasantly a curmudgeonly way as possible........

I work a lot in Washington, D.C., the home of the non-profit organization. Non-profits frequently pound vendors with their "poor me" non-profit status. A LOT of the time it's just a scam to get something for nothing from the weak and inexperienced. While there are exceptions, many non-profits have more money than they let on. Some get their low-pay or no-pay volunteers to ask for "the deal." That way, to the vendor, you have someone talking to you who genuinely doesn't make much or anything at all. I usually ask what their CEO makes every year.

It's not that I don't contribute to causes, I do. After years of being asked to give something for nothing to organizations who have plenty, the strategy wears a bit thin.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #21
Regular Crew

here is the text for the narration if you guys would like to audtion

Did you know that thanks to HDC...
Hundreds of teens have boldly added an extra 45 minutes to their mad morning schedule by waking up early in order to participate in a morning minyan at hdc.
Hundreds of singles have united in warm social settings to socialize as well as learn more on topics such as successful dating, marriage, Israel, and much more
Dozens of young singles have been successfully introduced to each other only to be wed shortly thereafter.
Hundreds of married couples have found new meaning in what it takes to have a successful marriage and are rejuvenated once again to commit to each other
Hundreds of kids ages 5-13 have learnt to fervently chant and read the aleph bet and find excitement in all the hands -on experience of Jewish projects and trips
Thousands of Jews are gathering to learn from some of the most celebrated speakers on Jewish family values
Hundreds of teens are enjoying identifying themselves with Judaism and Israel through fulfilled and inspirational experiences
Hundreds of public school students have been visited in their lunchroom and given a delicious lunch while left with “food for thought” from an inspirational discussion
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #22
Major Player

Dan,

Here's my audition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3zxQbbUCJA

Please let me know what you think, even if you don't like it. I am always looking to improve.

Thanks,
Mike
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #23
Regular Crew

make connections for next time...

fortunately my real job is as a TV reporter and annoucer. Whenever I need help I grab a co-worker and we cut some tracks in exchange for some beers. works out well.

I am always reading tracks for friends and they in turn help me out with other stuff.

Make friends with a "talent" type person in your area. In the future they can help you out and you can help them if they ever need some video shot "off the books" so to speak.

Even though I work for a TV station, it's amazing how many people want side work done away from the confines of the company I work for...

With that said, with some practice, many people can become their own "voice over" artists. It's a question of listening to what you like and noticing the details (phrasing, diction, emphasis, etc). Try it!
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I don't know why that surprises you. You're doing work "off the books" while working for a very "on the books" place.

Bartering services is an interesting concept. I think we all do it to some degree. Enough for the IRS to lay down rules about it. Last time I checked, they were of the opinion that you had to report the cost of the service as income.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #25
Regular Crew

voiceovers

I would certainly never encourage anything illegal. As Ty mentions, an on-going barter situation runs into a tax reporting situation. A very occasional trade of low cost services should be fine. (Check with your tax professional).

When my buddies ask me to do a voiceover I do it for free. If I need help with something else in the future I'll ask but it's not a trade (most of the time I don't like asking for favors anyway). (Who needs favors when you can get free advice here?)

I find that when "amateurs" try to do voiceovers, they always think they should try to deepen their voice or try to sound like the "voice of god."
While that may work for some videos, the most natural sounding voices work better for most projects.

Cheers.

Sal
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands