DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Looking For Freelance Wedding Editors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/86053-looking-freelance-wedding-editors.html)

Chris Ficek February 9th, 2007 11:15 AM

Looking For Freelance Wedding Editors

I am looking for persons interested and experienced in freelance wedding video editing services.

I own a wedding video production company in Thunder Bay Ontario Canada and Calgary Alberta Canada and am in desperate need of some editing assistance. We have fallen way behind in out editing schedule and are looking for an editor or editors to assist with our work load throughout 2007.

We shoot both one and two camera weddings in 4:3 and 16:9 formats. Currently we are shooting HDV, DVCPRO and DV and editing standard def and outputting to SD DVD. Our editing systems are AVID XpressProHD and we currently have one full time and one part time editor and one part time DVD author.

I am looking for someone with style and quality. Our needs are fairly modest but I would probably suggest some that small adjustments for our market would probably be required but nothing to drastic to an individuals current style.

A standard wedding shoot for us includes coverage of the following:
-brides preparations
-groom preparations
-full ceremony
-after ceremony park photo session
-reception speeches, dancing and very few guest comments
-highlight recap

This schedule usually results in about 4-5 hours of footage for a single camera shoot and 6-7 hours for a two camera shoot. The second camera is usually just a different angle of the main camera content.

If anyone is interested in doing some projects for us I was hoping you could answer the following.

What system do you edit on?
How would I get the raw footage to you?
What kind on tape machines do you use?
How would I see an approval copy for revision comments?
Do you make the DVD menus as well?
Can we get the finished DVD files via FTP over the internet?
How would I get the money to you, do you take credit cards?

And of course – how much do you charge? (looking for project prices not hourly) and what currency is the price in (US$ or CAN$)?

Currently I have about 30 weddings that need immediate editing. We are a very small company and just can not keep up with the editing workload. I am hoping to find an economical solution to our problem and am hoping that outsourcing some of our editing will help.

Hope that’s not too many questions and I thank you in advance for your assistance with this inquiry.

Chris Ficek
mrmaverick@tbaytel.net

Patrick Moreau February 9th, 2007 06:08 PM

Do you have samples of your work online?

It would likely help anybody interested if they could see the quality of your shooting and editing as that would determine the type of work and amount of time investment they would be looking at per wedding.

Lalo Alvidrez February 11th, 2007 09:18 AM

I agree with Patrick, need to see some samples to know more or less what your expecting.

Jason Bowers February 11th, 2007 07:51 PM

Hi Chris,
How long do you want the final edit to be? Are all the vocals with wireless mics or onboard mics. Will we need to color correct? Do you want a straight forward edit.

Jason

Chris Hurd February 12th, 2007 08:22 AM

If there's no reply from Chris Ficek within 24 hours, I'm pulling this thread.

Thinking very hard about restricting first-time posters from Helping Hands.

David Clark February 12th, 2007 12:01 PM

...and "we are a small company with 30 unedited weddings"? How long did it take to build up to that?

Chris Ficek February 12th, 2007 08:31 PM

I don't have any samples on line right now, my website is a bit of a disaster. I will encode some samples and get them up over the next few days.

Chris Ficek February 12th, 2007 09:03 PM

Response time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
If there's no reply from Chris Ficek within 24 hours, I'm pulling this thread.

Thinking very hard about restricting first-time posters from Helping Hands.

Posted Friday at lunch and responded Monday. Seems kind of harsh to be heavy about a weekend absence as this is an industry totally based on weekend work. I've shot three productions for three different clients in the past three days-sorry no time to check the boards.

In any event I'm here now and would like to thank everyone for the many replies I recieved from this request. I will be responding to all the emails this evening.

Heck- I even got a reply from a local competitor, thanks Jason good to hear from you - I'll just call you to chat about this.

Chris Ficek February 12th, 2007 09:13 PM

Volume

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Clark
...and "we are a small company with 30 unedited weddings"? How long did it take to build up to that?

David,

Fortunatly we are very busy shooting at our two locations and this backlog has built over the past 6-7 months. We tell our clients that delivery times can reach the 6 month mark but it's getting a little out of hand. In our main market our competitions main marketing message is that they can deliver faster than us (not you Jason) but that still hasn't really impacted sales so I guess Northerners are really patient people.

We just want to be fair to our clients and deliver a quality video in a reasonable time with out driving anymore of our staff into the loony bin with 60 hour work weeks.

In 2007 we thought we would easy the pressure by eliminating our DJ/Video combo discount package (we offer DJ services as well with a major discount on the video if purchased as a package) and raising our prices but again no slowing in sales. Looks like it gonna be a good year so I want to easy the backlog before we get too far into the wedding season.

Philip Gioja February 13th, 2007 07:13 AM

Sent you an email with my rates and some info.

Jim Fields February 26th, 2007 07:13 PM

Sent you an email as well.

Ervin Farkas February 27th, 2007 11:15 AM

I sent an email two weeks ago, nobody bothered to reply.

Alex Sprinkle February 27th, 2007 03:19 PM

Same here.

William Osorio February 27th, 2007 04:13 PM

Chris in response to your ad here is my details :::

What system do you edit on?
PC= Adobe Premiere 1.5
Mac Final Cut Pro 5.0

How would I get the raw footage to you?
Fedex or UPS (you pay for S/H)

What kind on tape machines do you use?
DVD Cam. Mini DV, SVHS, Betacam SP, XDCam Disc

How would I see an approval copy for revision comments?
Via Fedex or UPS (You pay for S/H)

Do you make the DVD menus as well?
YES

Can we get the finished DVD files via FTP over the internet?
no at this time

How would I get the money to you, do you take credit cards?
Paypal Credit cards Yes
----------------------------------------------------
Charges for services as follows::
brides preparations $110 US
groom preparations $110 US
full ceremony, after ceremony park photo session, reception speeches, dancing and very few guest comments $560 US
highlight recap slowmotion set to music $200 US
Project delivered on DVD (autoplay) no menus

DVD Authoring about 10 to 12 chapters $300 US

If you need to see my work sample PM, I'm glad to send you one!

TOS: 50% of total cost and 50% upon delivery

Hope this info works for you! anyway

William Osorio

Vito DeFilippo February 28th, 2007 08:12 AM

He did email me back. Asked for my phone number, but then never called...

Oh, well.