Building a Windows capture station at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Building a Windows capture station

Here's the dealio ... hopefully some of the fine brains out there can help me cobble together the right solution:

- 90% Mac guy. All editing done in FCP.
- Recently got a Canon HV20, which can output live via HDMI and bypass crappy HDV compression.
- BlackMagic's Intensity can capture that HDMI stream as 1080i 4:2:2.
- I have a spare 20" Apple CinemaDisplay that I can use for live monitoring (DVI.)

I'd like to put together a capture machine. A new MacPro is way overkill for this, not to mention weighs just shy of a Volkswagen Beetle, so I'm thinking that a small form factor PC would be a better solution.

I'm really confusing myself trying to find a machine that:
- Is relatively small, durable form factor
- Has a fast enough CPU
- Has enough RAM
- Has firewire
- Can support the Intensity (PCIe, 1 lane)
- I in the neighborhood of $1k.

Assuming such a beast exists, is it safe to assume that BlackMagic's M-JPEG codec is cross-platform compatible? (i.e. if I capture on the PC, will I be able to edit on the Mac without jumping through hoops?)

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Joseph, you can find a lot useful information in next discussions:

Chris Swartz solution:Intensity Capture Station

Kevin Kondra released idea: Wearable Computer System for HD Capture

...and best codec for MAC<->PC is Cineform with MOV<->AVI non destructive wrapper ;)

Also you can install MAC OS and XP as dual boot on same computer with Intensity card.
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks,
Serge. I had seen those threads. I don't think either uses a motherboard with DVI output, though I suppose another card could be worked in.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Major Player

I shall agree with Chris Swartz - GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard is very good to build a mobile "windows capture station" with Intensity card.
Onboard Video Chipset Intel GMA 3100 good enough for this task if you not gamer:) Regards PCIe-16x you can add any modern video card.
Also look at very usefull Jon McGuffin recommendation
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions