Another Mobo question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 14th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Another Mobo question...

Im bulding my first editing pc and I need a little help. I am planing to get the q6600 quad cpu, but I want to upgrade that to the qx6850 when the price drops. I was checking out this one: ASUS P5NT WS
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductD...=08-29869197-2

Anyone recommend this or a better board? Also, I want lots of RAID options...
Robert Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks fine. I have had good luck watching what the "silent PC" folks recommend for their high end machine so you might check this out

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...p4_775pwrhouse

I liked their picks because there were two RAID controllers, the 4 port Intel ICH7 and a second. I can't tell how the six ports on the one you recommend can be configured. I actually have the very similar Abit AW8-Max from 20 months ago. I use the 4 porter for a fault tolerant RAID5 root and general use volume and the second Silicon Image 2 port for a RAID0 for video editing. Note that RAID5 is NOT quick for video work with all its sequential writes.

Whatever board you settle on, if you stick to the cases, coolers and noise isolation things they sell, your ears will appreciate the quiet. I use all the fans on the lowest setting (nearly inaudible) for all general work and video editing. The only times I have to kick them up a notch (still pretty quiet) is for Cineform HD capture, and output rendering - both 100% CPU utilization tasks. But those are unattended operations and I'm elsewhere!
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Robert,

One thing to keep in mind is you should really match the board to the editing platform you use so your system works optimally and you are not making a costly mistake. Since the "qualified" boards from each NLE platform are somewhat dated on thier websites this may keep you from getting the latest and greatest MB. I noticed on the Edius site that most MBs are older and had a slower FSB. You also may want to take a look at Envision Computer http://www.ecspc.biz/ which has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings of custom builders.

Regards

Last edited by Mark Williams; August 15th, 2007 at 07:07 PM.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Blish View Post
Looks fine. I have had good luck watching what the "silent PC" folks recommend for their high end machine so you might check this out

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...p4_775pwrhouse

I liked their picks because there were two RAID controllers, the 4 port Intel ICH7 and a second. I can't tell how the six ports on the one you recommend can be configured. I actually have the very similar Abit AW8-Max from 20 months ago. I use the 4 porter for a fault tolerant RAID5 root and general use volume and the second Silicon Image 2 port for a RAID0 for video editing. Note that RAID5 is NOT quick for video work with all its sequential writes.

Whatever board you settle on, if you stick to the cases, coolers and noise isolation things they sell, your ears will appreciate the quiet. I use all the fans on the lowest setting (nearly inaudible) for all general work and video editing. The only times I have to kick them up a notch (still pretty quiet) is for Cineform HD capture, and output rendering - both 100% CPU utilization tasks. But those are unattended operations and I'm elsewhere!
THat one looks good, but it doesnt support 1333mhz FSB, wich the QX6850 provides.

Its unfortunate that its so difficult to plan ahead, and buy something that is upgradeable. How can I find out if adobe and vegas would support this motherboard? Is there anyway to know for sure?
Robert Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Brandon View Post
THat one looks good, but it doesnt support 1333mhz FSB, wich the QX6850 provides.
Check the Asus website - I believe that with the latest firmware the P5B does indeed support 1333mHz
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions