What do you think of this work flow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 17th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Major Player

What do you think of this work flow?

So I am a student who uses a pc at home with premiere pro 2.0 and avid express pro hd who goes to a school that uses final cut pro 5. On top of that I use Sony cameras/tapes and the school doesn't allow sony tapes in their decks.
I am new to final cut pro but I am quite good at premiere so the transition isn't that bad. I have just started using Avid, however. Also I have magic bullet and cineform for premiere.

With that said, I have to turn in projects like broadcast quality commercials and what not on dv tapes and in quicktime and have come across a problem with how I am going to do it.

I want to edit from home since my computer is better than the mac's at school and I won't have to bring my camera in as a deck either. So my idea
for a work flow is as follows:

Capture with Premiere and cineform

do all the editing and effects using premiere and magic bullet

export uncompressed using the frameserver codec

putting the uncompressed final cut onto a mac formatted hard drive using mac drive from media four http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

go to school and load the final cut onto Final Cut Pro and export to tape and quicktime from the school using their deck/imacs.

Another option for the final steps is just exporting from premiere to a panasonic tape using my hdr hc1 that I won't feel as bad having a non sony tape in as much as I would if it was in my Z1. Although I would need a better program than premiere to export to quicktime.

I am worried about getting the final cut from premiere to final cut pro though since I have never used anything like frameserver before. Does anyone have a better workflow idea or know what kinds of files that final cut likes so I can finalize it at school?

This is a mouthful I know but this will determine how I go about the rest of my semester.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I wouldn't use an uncompressed codec... the other system may not be able to play it back in real-time unless it is attached to a fast RAID.

If you are exporting to DV tape, use the DV codec. Export a quicktime DV.
For SDI output you'd use something better. But it's an iMac and probably doesn't have SDI-out hardware attached.

2- Frameserving codecs are for a different purpose.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Ya the idea of cutting out the school and just using my hdr hc1 as a sort of deck and third party software for exporting is becoming a better idea the more I think about it.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions