good archiving of rendered hd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 4th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

good archiving of rendered hd?

I am mainly using Vegas 8 and 7 but if there are other better options for other software I would love to know.

I have a tape with HDV I capture it and edit and do everything then output hd maybe for blueray and SD for dvd and make a dvd, or blueray/hddvd, and I also have the whole thing ready to be rendered to a new finshed master file. Whats the best way to render it and archive it? If I go back to tape it is recompressed, is that OK? how bad is that? is that a safe alternative? what about an uncompressed file any better way to archive that? say its uncompressed 1080i or 1080p footage thats a huge file, I know but can I put it in small pieces on dvd/blueray to have a uncompressed version or should zi just save to harddrives and make a few copies? What about a cineform variation? they are smaller and also compressed but much less than hdv I think, is that better? and if I go that way should I go for the 10bit cineform over the 8 bit? its I believe 1920x1080 at 10 bit vs the lower priced alternative of 1440x1080 at 8 bit?

In the old days of dv I went back to avi and out to tape and made a copy to be safe, or I always thought it was safe, now I know there is no such thing and I have this "make many copies and have them all over and make sure they are the highest quality mentaility" which is probably not a good thing at all. I would love to hear what others are doing and what others feel is safe, or best, and also a good compromise off space, money, quality?

And what if I made high quality blueray discs would that be a decnt means to recapture from in the future should I need to reedit or redo/reproduce anything?
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Kino-Eye

Given the tedium of making Blu-Ray disks, I think at the momentthe best backup is multiple copies of media on bare SATA hard drives.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions