Macs from B&H Catalgue - good for HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 8th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Macs from B&H Catalgue - good for HDV?

As you know I`m looking into getting a Mac. I got a B&H Catalogue in the mail and saw these macs and was curious how you guys would rate them for editing HDV. Whether I use AE and Premiere or FC Studio is yet to be decided...but HDV will definitely need editing, so I need that capacity

2.66GHz - Two Dual Core Xeon Woodcrest processors
1GB Ram - 667Mhz DDR2
500GB 7200rpm SATA hard drive
16x Dual Layer SuperDrive
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

$2999 - ATI Mobility Radeon X1900 w/ 512MB GDDR2
$2749 - nVidia GeForece 7300 GT w/ 256MB GDDR2
$2499 - same as above, but only 250GB hard drive
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Nathan,
Any Mac being sold right now will do a fine job editing HDV. Obviously the faster the better and the Mac Pro offers additional expansion options. However, as long as you put a minimum of 2gb ram and 500gb of 7200 rpm media storage you'll be fine with any new Mac.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Major Player

well by fine do you mean bare minimum? Lag issues? Longer/shorter render times? The first three projects are short films that will require alot of AE style work, so I want a machine that will handle it without issues.
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm editing on a G5 dual 2.5ghz w 4gb ram that is nearly 4 years old and I have no problem with lag issues. Render times for me are ok.

What you have to consider when buying a computer is the balance between a price that is affordable to you vs. required performance. For instance, say you have a project that will take 3 hours for an 24" iMac (2.8 ghz, 2 gb, $2300.00) to render or 1 hour for a tricked out Mac Pro (Dual 3.0ghz Quad, 16 gb, $10,000.00), only you can decide if the 8 grand difference is worth it to you. Everyone wants the fastest computer. But, the reality of price comes into play. I'd suggest for your decision you pick a budget you're comfortable with and then buy the most powerful machine you can get for that price. If your budget is 3K look toward the 24" iMac if your budget is 4k or more get a Mac Pro. Will you notice a speed difference between a 3k iMac and 4k (includes a 23" display) Mac Pro; probably not unless you're bench testing it. If you're not going to be adding a capture card, a Mac Pro may not be worth the extra to you.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Major Player

the $3k Pro on this list can`t capture video?
Old November 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
the $3k Pro on this list can`t capture video?
Even, the $700 MacMini I have can capture and edit HDV video. With a $3K MacPro it is not even a question. All you need is plenty of RAM and FireWire hard drive for storage.

P.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Major Player

But does that one come with the ability to capture footage? Or does it need a special card or something? I haven`t used a Mac in 5 years so I`m not sure how they are setup. I would imagine the would come preloaded with firewire ports as seem a no brainer these days, but I may be wrong
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

All Macs come with FireWire 400 port. Higher end Macs come with both FW 400 and FW 800 ports. I capture HDV and DV video with MacMini (intel) and iMac G5 (two-year old model) via firewire ports without any problem.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
But does that one come with the ability to capture footage? Or does it need a special card or something? I haven`t used a Mac in 5 years so I`m not sure how they are setup. I would imagine the would come preloaded with firewire ports as seem a no brainer these days, but I may be wrong
Nathan,
I think you mentioned you use and XHA1. All the Macs currently being sold will easily handle it. I can't comment on Premiere but with FCP you just plug the cam into the computer and choose the HDV easy setup (either 1080i60, 1080p30 or 1080p24) and you're good to go. FCP will control the camera. Video capture can't get much easier.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions