DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme is it just for uncompressed? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/108100-blackmagic-decklink-hd-extreme-just-uncompressed.html)

Dave Morgan November 16th, 2007 12:48 AM

blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme is it just for uncompressed?

blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme is it just for uncompressed? or can you edit compressed hd with it?

Robert Ducon November 20th, 2007 04:10 AM

It's an I/O card - used for input/output of video and audio. It does SD and HD very well. I own one - it and the Mac Pro were the best purchases I've made for my setup, period.

It will not speed up your video - get a fast computer (Mac Pro) for that. It will let you watch it on any SD or any HD monitor. Which is very important and it's the best in it's price class I think.

If your needs are less or you don't need HD-SDI and rather, need HDMI input/output, go for the the Blackmagic Intensity Pro. A lot of HV20 users on this site own and swear by that particular card.

Brian Luce November 20th, 2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Ducon (Post 778470)
It will not speed up your video - get a fast computer (Mac Pro) for that. It will let you watch it on any SD or any HD monitor. Which is very important and it's the best in it's price class I think.

Can't you monitor through your graphics card?

Carl Middleton November 20th, 2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 778579)
Can't you monitor through your graphics card?

Well, depending on the card.... Also keep in mind that a lot of people have 2 or more monitors just for screen real estate, besides a preview monitor. :) Also, certain cards (like my geforce 8800) are problematic for preview....

C

Robert Ducon November 20th, 2007 06:36 PM

Sure, you could if you have an S-Video or Component (or Composite) out in addition to the necessary two DVI connectors. I run two LCDs and then another monitor.. for now it's SD, but when I move to an HD monitor, then this card will shine. Also, it's not just regular video it does - it does HD-SDI (professional level) in and out.. wayyy better than firewire or what-not. And true 24-bit audio I/O, etc etc. When you add it up, it's really worth it. I'd like an HDMI I/O on my Decklink HD Extreme, but since then I've bought an HDMI to HD-SDI convertor, so I'm fine.

Brian Luce November 21st, 2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Ducon (Post 778987)
Sure, you could if you have an S-Video or Component (or Composite) out in addition to the necessary two DVI connectors. I run two LCDs and then another monitor.. for now it's SD, but when I move to an HD monitor, then this card will shine. Also, it's not just regular video it does - it does HD-SDI (professional level) in and out.. wayyy better than firewire or what-not. And true 24-bit audio I/O, etc etc. When you add it up, it's really worth it. I'd like an HDMI I/O on my Decklink HD Extreme, but since then I've bought an HDMI to HD-SDI convertor, so I'm fine.

I'm confused then why anyone would need one of these cards since you can capture over a cheap firewire card and use your video card for monitors.

Mike McCarthy November 27th, 2007 03:09 PM

There are many answers to that question:
HD-SDI I/O
10 or 12 bits of color depth
1920x1080
Uncompressed Video
High Quality Audio
Professional Deck connections

Firewire doesn't evven come close. It is DV and HDV only. Both are highly compressed and low quality.