Playing Your Edited HD Video's via Sony PS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Playing Your Edited HD Video's via Sony PS3

I tried a search and was not convinced this has been covered before on this particular forum so here goes (Mods, please move it to another area if appropriate.)

For those of you who do a lot of High Definition video editing stuff in HDV (.m2t files in my case from Sony HC1 and V1) AND who also own a Sony Playstation 3 you might like to know about the following easy work-around to get your beautifully HD (1080i) video files from your PC and playing on your big HDTV!

You can do it either via burning conventional DVD +R's etc. (i.e. PC Blue Ray burner NOT YET needed) or by using Memory Sticks like the SanDisk U3 4GB ones or (Archos etc.) portable media players / portable external USB 2.0 hard drives and just plug them into the PS3's USB ports (it has 4 on my model.)

The .m2t file size limit is 4GB and the memory sticks/USB drives etc. have to be FAT32 which basically equates to about 20 minutes of 1080i HDV. I can produce really stunning/slickly edited HD videos for 20 minute films!!! and in the future I'll plan on just stitching them together (burning these files on disc is also a great way of archiving them for future anyway IMHO.)

I actually do all my HD video editing in Sony Vegas (7.0e) but also use Ulead 10 Plus for simple projects and the following link to a Ulead Forum website gives a very good clear explanation of how to do it (but of course the technique is not limited to either of these editing suites.)....which is why I posted in this area of the Forum as it's more a general HD editing stuff area.

I have to say I'm a fairly recent owner of the PS3 (60GB) and the amount of leading edge technology in this device just blows me away! It's not bad for websurfing on the big HDTV we have either (in bed via Bluetooth controller!) This is one example of a Tech Toy that not only lives up to expectations/what the manufacturer promised at launch but actually exceeds them.

Anyway, link with specific details below. Hope this helps somebody, I'm sure having a lot of fun with this capability whilst we await Blue Ray burners to become affordable!

http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtop...&highlight=ps3
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I
The .m2t file size limit is 4GB and the memory sticks/USB drives etc. have to be FAT32 which basically equates to about 20 minutes of 1080i HDV.

http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtop...&highlight=ps3
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The limit comes from the fact that PS3 recongnizes FAT32 filesystems only, and these are limited to 4GB max filesize.

I use a different solution: use streaming server - Nero Media Home or the like - to stream MPEG2 via ethernet to PS3. No filesize limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Blish View Post
To clarify: there is no "file size limit" to .m2t files. I've made one via Cineform that is 129 minutes and about 27gigs under the XP's NTFS filesystem. As he says, the filesystem may impose a limit.
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim Yankovskiy View Post
The limit comes from the fact that PS3 recongnizes FAT32 filesystems only, and these are limited to 4GB max filesize.

I use a different solution: use streaming server - Nero Media Home or the like - to stream MPEG2 via ethernet to PS3. No filesize limit!
Can you explain more about NERO MEDIA HOME sending to PS3? I´m using an LINKSYS 300N WIRELESS ROUTER and i have an conection with PS3 normally... What can i do to send a stream video to ps3?? Can i transfer a file to hd or just stream?

Thanks.
Marcelo Lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You need to make one of your PCs a UPnP Media Server.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Tourist

An alternative that I use instead of NERO MEDIA HOME is TVersity:
http://tversity.com/home/

I use Adobe Premiere Element 3.0, this wotks fine. For your information, I tried PE 4.0 and it doesn't support export to MPEG-1 Layer II audio anymore.
Robin Lavoie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions