Burning HD / HDV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #16
Major Player

ps3 and HD

i was reading that you can play mpeg4 on ps3 anyone know if you can just burn mpeg4 onto a dvd-r and use mpeg4 HD settings and have it play?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #17
Major Player

Make it idiot proof

OK, anybody can write down step by step how we can encode, create blu-ray AND HD DVD discs?
I use Edius 4.5 with Procoder 3
Please help me out here.
Thanks Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seun Osewa View Post
You need a blu ray or HD-DVD burner. And player. Else you must watch it on a PC.
This is not true at all. Standard dual layer DVD burner will get the job done. To play it in high definition goodness, you will need either of the HD format palyers.
Hermawan Tjioe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Blish View Post
You may consult this post to see what players play the discs Roxio DVDit ProHD users are making.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...howtopic=20850

The upshot is that all the Sony players with up-todate firmware play our Blu-Ray creations. The early Samsung players don't (...until they used the chip all the other players use).

All my projects over 50 minutes go on $20 inkjet printable Blu-Rays from Imation. My shorter projects go on DVD single (25min) or double (50min). You do have to keep the bit rate to 20mbps for DVD media (HDV 1080i is 25) but the results still look great.

There is apparently a digital rights management twist in process, such that players introduced after Nov 2007 may need home grown content to be on as yet unavailable BluRay version 2.0 media. You just have to figure we creators will always have to stay out of the way of Hollywood. The added DRM features in BluRay is probably one of the reasons "the war" is going Blu.
The BluRay forum finally ironed out thse changes in its players. All players manufactured after October 31st, 2007 will have to comply with the v1.1 specs. All players that are made before that complies with the v1.0 spec and can be sold AFTER October 31st. That's why there is alot of playes being dumped at lower "sale" prices.
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Major Player

Couple of questions about this whole thing.

So can all Blu-Ray v1.1 spec players can play BD-R?

Can Blu-Ray players play a Blu-Ray authored DVD-R in HD, the same way that you can with HD-DVD?
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
Couple of questions about this whole thing.

So can all Blu-Ray v1.1 spec players can play BD-R?

Can Blu-Ray players play a Blu-Ray authored DVD-R in HD, the same way that you can with HD-DVD?
Chris, these players are brand spanking new, just out in the wild this month. So reports should be coming in soon. I don't believe the BluRay press releases at all for very good reasons.
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermawan Tjioe View Post
The BluRay forum finally ironed out thse changes in its players. All players manufactured after October 31st, 2007 will have to comply with the v1.1 specs. All players that are made before that complies with the v1.0 spec and can be sold AFTER October 31st. That's why there is alot of playes being dumped at lower "sale" prices.
The featrues in BluRay profile 1.1 I am aware of are the amount of RAM available to run java menus, and have nothing to do with playablilty of home burned product. All the consumer oriented authoring packages (ie under $5000), avoid java anyway. Perhaps this media version twist is burried in the spec out of sight.

Last edited by Don Blish; January 14th, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #23
Trustee

You can burn High Definition video to both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, using conventional DVD burners and inexpensive DVD5/9 media. You do not need Blu-ray or HD DVD burners unless you want the higher capacity.

I have been burning to both formats, using a variety of media, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R DL.

The process is slightly less complicated and easier to make a highly compatible disk with menu structures for the HD DVD format, but Blu-ray reaches a larger audience. Both work well.

Here are a few links:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...41&postcount=1
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions