DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   anyone using a Mac Pro with windows? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/112561-anyone-using-mac-pro-windows.html)

Dave Morgan January 17th, 2008 12:06 AM

anyone using a Mac Pro with windows?

im looking to eventually switch over to mac with mac software, but until then i plan on buying a mac pro and installing windows. since all my software is for windows.

so i guess i would have mac os on the drive it was originally installed on , and then put XP on a totally separate Drive for best results?

Glenn Chan January 17th, 2008 12:17 AM

You can use Bootcamp to partition your drive into two chunks, and boot Windows off the second partition.

Themis Gyparis January 17th, 2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morgan (Post 809707)
im looking to eventually switch over to mac with mac software, but until then i plan on buying a mac pro and installing windows. since all my software is for windows.

Why would you do that...? Mac Pros work perfectly with Apple's Tiger or Leopard software? Keep your PC and buy a Mac Pro to work separately...

Dave Morgan January 17th, 2008 12:10 PM

because all my software is pc, and cineform does not have adobe presets yet for the mac versions

Jon Omiatek January 17th, 2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Themis Gyparis (Post 809883)
Why would you do that...? Mac Pros work perfectly with Apple's Tiger or Leopard software? Keep your PC and buy a Mac Pro to work separately...

Are you serious, why does it matter what he uses his computer for? If it can do the job of two computers, why not.

I use my mac pro to run both windows xp and leopard. I use vegas and cineform with no problems. All the added memory will do you no good considering windows xp only uses 2gb. I have 16gb in my mac pro.

Good Luck.

Themis Gyparis January 18th, 2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek (Post 809968)
Are you serious, why does it matter what he uses his computer for? If it can do the job of two computers, why not.

I use my mac pro to run both windows xp and leopard. I use vegas and cineform with no problems. All the added memory will do you no good considering windows xp only uses 2gb. I have 16gb in my mac pro.

I'm always serious. Just because you did it, doesn't mean Dave will, too, just as easily. I have many friends who still face troubles on Mac Pros with win XP, mainly hardware incompatibility and countless motherboard bios issues. XP is an OS intended to PCs, not Macs.

Also, wrong about the 2Gbs limitation on XP. They can certainly handle AND use more RAM. There are server systems with 4 Gbs of RAM as well as specially-configured turnkey editing workstations with that or more amount of memory, running on XP Pro. I'd suggest you update your knowledge base...

Themis Gyparis January 18th, 2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morgan (Post 809934)
because all my software is pc, and cineform does not have adobe presets yet for the mac versions

Dave, that will be a problem with Mac on a constant basis. Look for software that is supported by your Mac OS and mainly keep your trust on programs originally intended for it, not ones that apply to both. I believe that FC Studio 2 works with a large number of formats, so you'll be covered.

David Moody January 18th, 2008 09:12 AM

I am thinking about doing the same thing.

FCP still does not support Blu ray, so I will have to rely on booting in XP or using the Mac version of Adobe.