DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   basketball editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/113192-basketball-editing.html)

Karl Heiner January 25th, 2008 04:46 PM

basketball editing

don't know if i am in the right thread....

what do i need, or what is used to display the score board of a basketball at the bottom of the finished project?

Don Bloom January 25th, 2008 05:01 PM

When I used to shoot HS football I did hat using Vegas and set the video using picture in picture. I believe most all of the editing software out there today can do that.
Don

Karl Heiner January 25th, 2008 05:12 PM

hi don,

so, i need a second camera, or is there a way to tap into the score board?

Chris Harris January 25th, 2008 05:26 PM

Are you talking about having the score on the screen during the entire game, like pro sports?

A second camera facing the scoreboard just for your reference would be useful in that case.

Don Bloom January 25th, 2008 06:57 PM

I agree. If you're running the scorboard all the time gotta have a 2nd cam. I used to shoot the scorboard after every score and would runn it as a PIP during the next kickoff so I dodn't bother with a 2nd camera except for a couple of times they want the scoreboard showing all the time.
A real PITA, since I wasn't shooting constanly. Lots of timeouts etc so I would hit record as the team broke the huddle. Of course getting everything syncd was the pain. I let the scoreboard camera run. Only have 2 hands.
Don

Richard Alvarez January 25th, 2008 07:00 PM

Yes, if your switcing live, or 'live to tape' for later broadcast, then a 'scoreboard cam' is a seperate feed. Could be any small cam as it's usually locked down. Then on the switcher, you place it as a PiP (Picture in picture) effect.

Alternately, you could call for the scoreboard shot from one of your operators on occasion, but it's a waste of manpower to do that all the time.

Karl Heiner January 26th, 2008 09:48 PM

thanks for all the info.
what it comes down two is, a second camera is no problem, but then the switcher etc. was hoping for an easy solution, but who isn't?

thanks

Jeremiah Rickert January 27th, 2008 12:08 AM

Do you mean scoreboard or "score bug" ? A score bug is the graphical information that has the teams, the score, the quarter...etc.

If you just want to have the names of the teams and the score, then you can just make one using photoshop. The time consuming thing, is that you would have to make a new graphic for each point! (works okay for soccer, but basketball...not so much).

There is software, I think it's called a digital stopwatch, that you can set to run up or down for a certain amount of time. Then you render it out and drag it into your timeline.

You can also use the second cam to only record the clock, then you can crop it down, put a box around it, and just PiP it into your game in post.
The only thing tricky about this approach is syncing your game camera with the clock.

Lastly, as someone mentioned, you can get a live video switcher that both cameras are hooked to, and just PiP the scoreboard in once in a while. The one we were given for soccer matches is hard-coded to be a certain size and we can't leave it up the whole game, but it's okay to PiP into the screen once in a while.

Oh...one other way to get a clock on the screen. There's a company called Horita that makes a little box with a BNC passthrough that lets you put a clock on the screen, counting up our down. You have a few color and location choices. The thing is pretty spendy though.

Hope this helps...

Karl Heiner January 28th, 2008 08:35 PM

i found a comp. which sells something, called all sports cg
goes between camera and tape, connected to scoreboard controller, then overlays the information on the final product

here is the link:

http://www.daktronics.com/sports_pro...y=How_It_Works

Josh Chesarek January 29th, 2008 06:31 AM

I tried the 2nd camera and such but as others have all ready stated its in a pain in the ass to sync up unless you never stop both cameras. If you don't it isn't too bad as you make the same cuts on both time lines. I ended up going the route of looking at the score board when ever play was dead and I was lucky in that everyone who wanted the video was happy with a time update every 5 minutes or so. The Daktronics add on is a good find though as we use their boards at the College I film at. Might have to see about using one of those.