Non-Linear Editing on the Linux =D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Ervin,

I wasn't going quite that fast! I didn't use a wide angle adapter for these shots, so consequently had to hold the camera lower than normal, hence the sense of speed. Shot with a Sony FX1e, so hdv.

Workflow for this was:
Create slow mo's with JES Deinterlacer ( this might be mac only? ). These could have been done in Blender though.

Import the HDV footage directly to the Blender VSE timeline, cut and trim footage plus add dissolves etc. Then using the node compositor, adjusted colours slightly. Added titles created with Gimp and created an export set up from Blender at 720p.

Render out of Blender as photo jpeg and then create an h.264 for web upload. Again I added an extra step and direct export from Blender is possible. There is a bit of a gotcha for mac users with this current version, in that the audio can't be multiplexed or written with the exported video. Which means you will have to add in the audio track seperately after export. As I normally export my audio from say FCP, for mixing in Digital Performer, this isn't a big deal, but I think for some it really could be.

All the tools used were open source/freeware, (except DP for the audio).

With the Node Compositor and the updated VSE in Blender it's definitely doable to keep most of your post workflow in the one application. I'm no compositor, but After Effects is a great tool and offers a lot of stuff that Blender can't touch. Having said that there is a huge amount of the post production process that could be carried out from within the one program eg; if you were creating a 3d title or animation as part of your edit, then it's reasonably straightforward to route this via the compositor straight into the edit timeline, very nice.

The biggest gotcha to this is if you haven't used Blender before, then be prepared for a steep learning curve.

Adrian
Adrian Frearson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions