How can I get more rendering power, short buying another Mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Major Player

How can I get more rendering power, short buying another Mac?

Working on a laptop. I was wondering if there was any way to get more rendering power in Final Cut Pro - perhaps by doing distributed computing or hooking it up to a render farm or something...

What I'd like to do is somehow hook the Mac up to a Beowulf cluster - is there any way that this can be done?
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:03 AM   #2
Major Player

As far as I know, you can't do it unfortunately. Compressor and Shake support distributed rendering - but not Final Cut Pro. Sorry!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking View Post
As far as I know, you can't do it unfortunately. Compressor and Shake support distributed rendering - but not Final Cut Pro. Sorry!
What about with Compressor?
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Sure! You can do distributed rendering with Compressor and Shake using QMaster. Just look in the documentation that comes with Compressor on how to set it all up...
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking View Post
Sure! You can do distributed rendering with Compressor and Shake using QMaster. Just look in the documentation that comes with Compressor on how to set it all up...
Right, but do I have to buy additional macs for that or can I build a monster PC or bank of PCs running Linux and render that way?
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #6
Major Player

Good question! I know there is some kind of QMaster-type software that runs on Linux that takes care of the rendering for the Linux version of Shake. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the latest Mac version of QMaster or the Final Cut Studio suite however...

Hopefully someone else can clear this up?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions