DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Multicam edit SWEET! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/115205-multicam-edit-sweet.html)

Jeff Mack February 19th, 2008 10:59 AM

Multicam edit SWEET!

I thought I'd share my new setup with everyone. I edit multicam concerts with 5.1 surround. I have a high end home theater setup and I have succesfully tied my gear into it so I can have real time editing capabilities. First my gear includes MBPro, 4 disk Esata Raid via expresscard 34, AJA IOHD, AJA Digital to Analog converters with breakout cables and AES/EBU transformers to take 75Ohm to XLR 110 Ohm.

After I have captured and sync'd my Pro Res HQ into multiclips, I connect my IOHD to my receiver that has 5.1 external inputs with XLR to RCA. The AJA converters take the 2 channel digital audio and convert it into 2 analog channels. I connected the cable to the 5.1 inputs and configured FCP to send audio to each channel. Of course the video goes component into the receiver and on into my 61" Samsung DLP.

Here's the cool part. I have a table in front of my theater chars to hold my gear. I built a tabletop that straddles the chair with my laptop and keyboard. I can now play and scrub and edit the multiclip in realtime and edit for final looks on my TV. I used to edit, burn a dvd then play it and constantly keep going back and forth. My TV is only for reference but it gives me the end result experience in real time. Once the edit is done, then it's back to the HD Monitor. For me, this is a real timesaver!

Jeff

John Ray February 19th, 2008 02:53 PM

something similiar..but a little different..i use cakewalk sonar which as surround editing capabalities built in Sonar has a cool bass management setup which allows you to specify how the bass and LFE will be handled in different setups..ie. mixing for film/video, music, etc..when recording a live concert..I use two Rode NT4 mics to capture live sound from front and back of the venue. these are fixed capsule stereo mics and are excellent for live work. audio is also recorded directly from the FOH board via an Alesis HD24 ADAT. The guy i worked with on these projects uses a Allen & Heath 32 channel board with direct outs for each track and more importantly he knows what he's doing so I don't get any huge spikes or drops in the audio feed while recording(if not i'd have to use a splitter). I can do up to 24 tracks at 48k/24bit. After dumping this to the pc i mix on a set of decent studio monitors, Mackie HR24s. Then I use a MOTU 828 interface which has 8 quarter-inch outputs into an M-Audio 5.1 surround speaker setup for the surround placement. I don't trust the M-Audios for the mix... Nothing extreme here instruments and vocalists are mixed pretty much as a traditional 2 channel stereo I use the surround capabilities for a bit more separation but that's about it..I use the audio from the NT4s for natural ambience and sometimes a Lexicon Reverb plugin as needed.. ....Just as important all of this is done in an acoustically treated mixing environment which as i found out is more important than almost any single piece of gear you can buy. The mix may sound great in the place you mix, but unless everybody comes over to the house to hear it, they may not get the same sound you did. After the mix is done I can export a full 5.1 surround file at 48k/16 for import into Premiere. Another cool thing about sonar is that you don't need any additional surround plugins. It has excellent plugins provided, but it will also convert any standard plugin to surround as well. I'm not a paid endorsee of Cakewalk..it's just the program I started with and know the most about. I have a pretty nice home theater setup as well, but I wouldn't mix on it..I do use it for reference to see how the mix will translate on different systems..but that's a whole other story....

Jeff Mack February 19th, 2008 08:09 PM

Hi John,

Sounds great. I don't mix the audio myself. I have my studio do it. I just lay the tracks into FCP, sync 'em and map 'em to 6 discrete inputs on my receiver. The thing I am stoked about is using my home theater as an edit bay. If it looks good there, it should look good elsewhere. My audio and color are done outside.

Jeff

John Ray February 20th, 2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Mack (Post 829275)
Hi John,

Sounds great. I don't mix the audio myself. I have my studio do it. I just lay the tracks into FCP, sync 'em and map 'em to 6 discrete inputs on my receiver. The thing I am stoked about is using my home theater as an edit bay. If it looks good there, it should look good elsewhere. My audio and color are done outside.

Jeff

Yeah that's making good use of it..I do that as well..Customers are a little more impressed when they see themselves or their work on a big screen...Unfortunately I am my studio so I have to mix and synch myself..but I'm a musician as well so it gets double duty...lol