Workflow For Feature Documentary? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 14th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Workflow For Feature Documentary?

I am about to begin editing a feature documentary I've been working on for several years, and I have a few questions in regards to the workflow I should use. I will be editing with FCP 6... should I need them, I also have the entire Adobe Master Collection, and Magic Bullet Looks as an additional color corrector. This will be my first time using FCP, as I have just transitioned from a PC to a Mac only a week ago. My footage was captured on my old PC in 3 different formats: 720x480 29.97 avi, 1440x1080 24P m2t, 1920x1080 24P mxf. I know that for FCP I will need to convert all of these into QT files. My first question is:

1. What is the best method for converting the avi and m2t files into QT files? I already tried something called MPEG Streamclip and the results appeared excellent. But is there a better method? Does the conversion cause a loss of quality that my eyes aren't detecting? Am I simply better off just recapturing everything in FCP?

My initial intent is to output my project to both Blu-Ray and SD DVD's. I have excellent footage in terms of its content... I have already licensed quite a bit of it to the History Channel, and I have a big time Hollywood producer working with me in an attempt to get additional financing and distribution once it's complete. My initial edit here is supposed to be a "rough cut" for the producer so that he can show it to potential investors, as he is trying to raise money to bring in a big name to narrate it, and also get it re-edited by a big time Hollywood editor. From there the goal is film fests, and then hopefully a premium network such as HBO or Shotime. If it works out like that, then great, but I still want to be prepared in case the producer flakes out on me or is unable to raise the funds and my edit ends up as the final edit. So all that said, I want my edit to to be film fest/broadcast ready. So question two:

2. What should be my exact project settings for a film fest/broadcast ready project?

3. Assuming I'm using a project setting such as 1080i or the like, should I upconvert the SD stuff prior to bringing it into FCP? I have already tried upconverting with MPEG Streamclip, and again it seemed to do an excellent job. Is there a better method?
Dana Rice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions