Limit to 1.5Gb/s Operation vs. 3 Gb/s Operation at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 125
Limit to 1.5Gb/s Operation vs. 3 Gb/s Operation

I just noticed on the top of the drives that there's a jumper setting for either 1.5 or 3 Gb/s operation. The setting is the way it came, 1.5. Is there any reason why I shouldn't remove the jumper so it will operate faster? I am just about to setup RAID0 using two 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 drives (ST3500320AS). The final 1TB will be used for editing HD video. The OS I will be using is Win XP Pro SP2 X64 edition with 4GB RAM on an ASUS P5K Premium motherboard and Q6600 quad processor.
Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks
__________________
Sincerely,

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renat Zarbailov View Post
I just noticed on the top of the drives that there's a jumper setting for either 1.5 or 3 Gb/s operation. The setting is the way it came, 1.5. Is there any reason why I shouldn't remove the jumper so it will operate faster? I am just about to setup RAID0 using two 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 drives (ST3500320AS). The final 1TB will be used for editing HD video. The OS I will be using is Win XP Pro SP2 X64 edition with 4GB RAM on an ASUS P5K Premium motherboard and Q6600 quad processor.
Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks
That jumper setting is for use on older motherboards that only supported SATA I. The P5K will be SATA II for sure.

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stavar View Post
That jumper setting is for use on older motherboards that only supported SATA I. The P5K will be SATA II for sure.

marks
Thanks Mark! Now the only issue is to be able to pull this jumper out. :)
Seagate made sure the jumper sits inside forever or something...
__________________
Sincerely,

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 125
I wonder if pulling this jumper out on a drive that has data on it and operated in 1.5Gb mode for couple of years will corrupt the data in it. I am hooking this drive to Asus P5K Premium motherboard which does support 3Gb SATA.
Can anyone advice anything?

Thanks so much!
__________________
Sincerely,

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fairfield, Dunedin, New Zealand
Posts: 3,634
Images: 18
Hi Renat..............

The drive will either work or it won't, pulling the jumper won't affect anything on the disc itself.

All it's changeing is the interface speed - go for it!


CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
The drive will either work or it won't, pulling the jumper won't affect anything on the disc itself.

All it's changeing is the interface speed - go for it!


CS
Thanks Chris!
Now I have more confidence to do it... :)
__________________
Sincerely,

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network