Editing HD 1080i 60 in Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing HD 1080i 60 in Final Cut Pro

I have imported clips (1080i 60)from a Canon HV30 into FCP Suite 2 and used Apple Pro Res as Larry Jordan recommends in a Lynda.com tutorial

Sequence Preset: Apple ProRes 422 1440 x 1080 24 p 48 khz
Capture Present HDV-Apple ProRes 422
Device Control Preset : Sony HDV Firewire
Playback Output Video: None
Playback Output Audio: Default
Edit to Tape/PTV Output Video: HDV (1440 x 1-80) 60i
Edito Tape/PTV Output Audio: HV

Supposedly this makes editing a breeze as far as rendition speed goes, but what is the work flow from this point to output to a high quality HD on Vimeo? As well as Compressor, I also have the new Squeeze Suite from Sorenson.

Can I use Motion to do things like slowing down speed of a clip for slow motion? Should I be exporting out of Motion as NTSC or as HD

What about using Live Type Templates with my movie? Do I have to stick with HD or can I use one of the NTSC templates?
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Stay in HD 1080i 59.94 fps the whole way thru

First off your sequence preset is 24p, (1440? X 1080?) which is incorrect if you shot your footage as (HDV) 60i. When you drag your first clip into the sequence it should say there's a mismatch and ask if you want to change the sequence settings to match the footage. Choose yes. Or check your captured footage in the bin and match the sequence settings to what your clips settings are. If you get a red render bar above the timelime there's a mismatch somewhere. ProRes HQ is the best way to go if you have the drive space.

If the final video will be HD 1080i/59.94 then create everything for it as 1080i/59,94 and export them from any secondary programs (motion/LiveType) as ProRes 422 to match what you have in your timeline. You want to mis-and-match as little as possible.

Final Cut can slow the speed of a clip, depending on what you want to accomplish it could do the job with less importing/exporting. Not sure on Squeeze, I use Compressor which works great for my needs (SD/HD).
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Paul,

On the lighter side; the CIA does rendition, editors render.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions