Editing Laptop - Yeah, I feel bad asking. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing Laptop - Yeah, I feel bad asking.

Hey folks,

I was visiting my parents and my father took the liberty of spilling a nice tall glass of beer all over my (fairly out of date) Dell laptop. He offered to split the cost on a new machine and I'm looking to pick up something that has the fortitude to handle Premiere (w/Cineform) and After Effects CS3.

I'm cutting HDV footage from a Sony Z1U and Canon HV30...not a big detail but whatever.

Here is what I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220303

There are quite a few laptop with similar specs at lower costs but the 1gb of video ram is compelling (but necessary?) plus it's a brand I have a bit of loyalty to.

So, your thoughts and suggestions?

On a note: I've been told that I may as well go intel over AMD as the 64 bit processor is basically irrelevant without a 64 bit os and the only product that it'd really rock would be 3D studio max (which I'd use rarely).

Thank you for taking a moment to lend a hand. I appreciate it.
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

A slight amendment:

Is there an HDMI capture system to use with a laptop yet? Do we know of anything in development?

I'd really like to pull 4.2.2 out of my Vixia if possible.
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

140 views and notta :(

Here it is, can someone speak about video ram. I will do some after effects work and from what I've heard from unreliable sources...the program passes some rending off to a GPU. If so, I should prob have MORE vram.
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Handler View Post
140 views and notta :(

Here it is, can someone speak about video ram. I will do some after effects work and from what I've heard from unreliable sources...the program passes some rending off to a GPU. If so, I should prob have MORE vram.
I found that having more vram helps my After Effects previews run a lot faster with less skipped frames. Also, if you want to play any games you are going to need that vram.

Hope this helps some.

Also, just checked the link you put up and I want to say that the ASUS machines are nice - just be aware that they usually run VERY hot. Meaning you won't be editing this thing on your lap and you'll be needing a cooling pad so that you don't burn it up. My guess is that hot is because of the high vram, but I don't know. A buddy of mine has had 3 ASUS machines and they all ran very hot - I saw the most recent one and the area where you'd rest your palms was so hot it actually burned the paint off the casing! But he did love the machine and is not as happy with his new HP.

Last edited by Lisa Shofner; June 12th, 2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: more info
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Lisa...thank you very much.

A slight follow up0: I could go 4 gb of ram with only 512mb of vram...or as the system above is setup. For day to day just editing...which is it?

Also, good info on the temperature. I have (wait, had) an old dell inspiron with a real desktop Pentium 4 in it and it got hotter than I could ever believe. I used a blown out ibook as a shield on my lap so if this thing is worse it makes me nervous.

Hmm, tricky decisions these laptops.
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Major Player

I believe that the video card's main advantage is in previewing faster, not in rendering faster. I know that in my Cinema 4D forums, that is the standard line. A lot of the power in the graphics cards is for handling 3d games.

Ram is always nice, most folks are suggesting loading up on Win XP Pro however, which only sees 3 gigs of Ram, the 64 bit version of Vista is apparently buggy and drivers are still scarce.

One thing I would have loved on my laptop is PCMIA options, for faster HDD hookups or HDMI or firewire 800 options, etc. As to the heat issue, the Intel Core 2 Duos run generally cooler than the Pentium CPUs, so that's kind of nice. You should find a good laptop without too much effort.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I got the laptop...now let's talk os

I picked up the Asus F8SP and it's pretty nice. I have cs3 rockin on it and it seems to move ok. But i'm a power hungry editor who needs mobility (so leave your 'buy a desktop' comments at home :P)

It came preloaded with Vista...I have a free license to XP.

How much difference do you guys think it'll make considering it's only a 2ghz dual core 2 w/ 3 gb of ram?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Brian Handler; July 10th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Brian Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

My thoughts...

Small screen, smallish and slow hard drive, and a bit thin on RAM. Also I don't care for the video card.

Why not check out the Dells? I just bought an M6300. That might be a bit pricey for you, but there are other machines out there that give you more options.

If you edit video, you know that screen real-estate is a KEY factor, as is HD speed.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

uhm...perhaps we should read the last post

already bought there buddy and I'm quite happy with the screen size...looks nice next to my dell 30" lcd.

;)
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

DOH!

How the heck did I miss that post...

Glad you like your new laptop. Dell 30" eh? Sounds pretty nice!

BTW, does the Asus run hot like the previous poster was saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Handler View Post
uhm...perhaps we should read the last post

already bought there buddy and I'm quite happy with the screen size...looks nice next to my dell 30" lcd.

;)
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

came with a free cooling pad haha

anyways, with that sort of screen...the laptop lives pretty far away from my mouse or my lap

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions