Lacie external drives and Vista? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Lacie external drives and Vista?

Hope this is ok to post on this forum-

I just got a new pc running Vista Home. I have a Lacie D2 Quadra external drive that I've had hooked up to a machine running XP Home. Had it for months, working off a IEEE1394b connection quite happily.

The Lacie is already formatted NTFS and has a bunch of files on it. I copied some files to from the old pc to the Lacie, then I hooked the Lacie up to the Vista PC.

I had the Vista PC powered down. Hooked up the firewire, turn on the drive, then turn on the Vista PC.

Vista PC says it knows it has a Lacie D2 Quadra attached to it. It's looking for a driver. The Lacie doesn't come with a driver. Vista says can't use this drive.

Under Device Manager, the drive shows up, and says it's using some generic Microsoft driver. It shows up as unformatted and uninitialized. Lacie doesn't show up in Windows Explorer with the other drives.

My Maxtor drive had a similiar message (cannot find driver) but it shows up in my list of drives.

Anyone else experiencing this? Can Vista really have such a hard time recognizing a regular ol' external drive?
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have used a Lacie 600GB Big Disk Extreme with Vista and it sometimes gets into an " please load in drivers for this disc" mode, but the drive should work without any drivers according to Lacie. I had to fiddle around(technical term) switching on and off the mains power to the device , waiting, and experimenting with different timing of connections of usb cable. I cant remember what order of connecting solved it but it seems stable for now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions