intensity pro for analog convert at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

intensity pro for analog convert

Hi,

I want to convert old VHS video tapes and old Hi8 video camera tapes to DVD.

I'm looking for a good, not to expensive product that can do this for me.
I thaught the intensity pro card should be something for me.
Can someone eplain to me if this is a good solution?

The pc where the intensity pro should be installed on is also used for video edditing
with Premiere and cineform aspect HD. Should this give me any problems?
My pc is an intel core2 duo 6700 with 2gig ram and a geforce 8800GTX XXX edition videocard with a asus P5w-DH deluxe motherboard.
Rob Willemse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

This vs a DVD Recorder, in NTSC only or PAL only, a DVD recorder would simplify everything, especially a DVD/VCR Recorder combo.

I think this would only help if you need to capture both NTSC and PAL tapes and have high knowledge of exporting uncompressed or Motion JPEG to DVD through software like Premiere or DVD Architect. (I'm not so sure on DVD Studio Pro, that you have to check with Blackmagic.)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

A DVD recorder is a good solution if you dont need to edit the captured files.
But i also need to edit some of the tapes. So would the intensity pro card be the product for this kind of thing? Or do I need something else?

Like i said.
The pc where the intensity pro should be installed on is also used for video edditing
with Premiere and cineform aspect HD. Should this give me any problems?

My pc is an intel core2 duo 6700 with 2gig ram and a geforce 8800GTX XXX edition videocard with a asus P5w-DH deluxe motherboard.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't know about the Intensity Pro card, but I think it will do what you want. Many camcorders have a way to accept an analog signal in and then output digital to the PC throught firewire. I have done this many times using both a VHS deck to my camcorder and an old Hi8 camcorder to my camcorder (Canon GL2, Canon HV10 and Canon XH A1). You may already have what you need.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You are right, that didnt even come to my mind. Haha. I'll keep it in mind.

But can anyone still explain a bit more if the intensity pro card can be used
with the above configuration (2 posts up)?
And does anyone got experience using the intensity pro with analog convert from
different analog sources?
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have not yet used S-Video (I need the additional cable for that), But Component and Composite NTSC and PAL video can be captured uncompressed or Compressed in Motion JPEG without hassle, and it's 4:2:2.

The DV method is not as optimum when you are talking about multi color-system spatial resolution. DV NTSC is 4:1:1 while DV PAL is 4:2:0. If you only need to transfer PAL tapes to DVD, get a AV-DV camera or box and capture just like you do a DV tape (but without device control). NTSC however will have a lower spatial resolution of 4:1:0 when being converted to DVD.

Save money if you only need to transfer PAL VHS tapes by getting a AV-DV or future-proof yourself for HD by getting an Intensity Pro. It's your pick.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions