DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Looking for right computer and edit program? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/125880-looking-right-computer-edit-program.html)

Steven Mitchell July 13th, 2008 02:15 PM

Looking for right computer and edit program?

I'm getting a Canon XH-A1 soon and I dont know to much about what computer to use for editing HD. And not sure about what edit software to get. I would like all three to be very compattable with each other. I've spent the money for the XH-A1, I don't want to spend more than $4000 on the total cost of both computer and software. Any suggestions on what to get to capture and edit from the XH-A1 without any headaches I have read about? I'm pretty new at this. I know the computer I have now is way to small for any of this stuff.

Shaun Williams July 13th, 2008 02:42 PM

Software-wise, I'm using both SpeedEdit and Avid Media Composer 3.0 without any hitches so far. Both at differing ends of the budget spectrum.

Shaun

Annie Haycock July 13th, 2008 03:09 PM

I have a 3-year-old dual core PC with WindowsXP and premiere elements4. It's pretty good to learn on - not too much fancy stuff. But the PC does struggle a bit to show a long HD clip with windows media-player. PE4 works fine.

I also have a 1 year-old dual core laptop with WindowsVista, and everything runs fine on that - it is designed to run HD stuff, though I wouldn't bother with Windows MovieMaker for anything except SD.

If you want a high end editing program, you'll need more processing power. But I'd recommend starting with something relatively cheap and easy, then working out what is important to you and whether or not you actually need the high end stuff.

Bill Pryor July 13th, 2008 03:21 PM

Avid doesn't take Canon's 24F mode. Final Cut Pro does. You might look at getting a Mac, and then Final Cut Express. FCE is only 200 bucks and will do all the basic editing you need to do to learn. You can finish a film with it, but you don't get everything you get with FCP, of course. However, it's a perfectly good way to get into the biz, and then if you upgrade to FCP later on, the FCE files are compatible. You can edit FCE on any of the current crop of Macs, although if you go to an Apple store they'll tell you you should get the MacBook Pro over the MacBook, or the Mac Pro over the iBook. However, the low end models work perfectly well.

Marcel D. Van Someren July 13th, 2008 04:04 PM

I also suggest SpeedEdit. That's all I use these days.

Michael Wisniewski July 13th, 2008 05:18 PM

Your best bet on the Mac is to get Final Cut Pro. As far as I know, Final Cut Express cannot import or edit Canon's 24F mode. You have to import the 24F footage with another program and insert into a 60i / 29.97 fps file with pulldown.

On the PC side the following programs can work directly with the XH A1's 24F footage: Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Canopus Edius, and SpeedEdit.

Steven Mitchell July 13th, 2008 05:21 PM

These are good suggestions to follow. I don't believe I have heard of SpeedEdit though. I will look it up. I was thinking on getting the Mac Book Pro, but I was concerned about enough storage. I think from what little I do know that the Mac is powerful and strong enough to handle the loads.

Noa Put July 13th, 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren (Post 906800)
I also suggest SpeedEdit. That's all I use these days.

Does "speed edit" perform as they tell on their site? It looks very responsive on their demo and having a storyboard to quickly move clips around is a really useful feature, that should be something every serious editprogram should have.

Bill Pryor July 13th, 2008 07:18 PM

I think you're right about the 24F mode and FCE. I had not checked that, but apparently it does not do 24F; you need FCP for that.

Steven, most people use external firewire drives for their media files, rather than putting them on the internal drive.

Tripp Woelfel July 13th, 2008 08:02 PM

Aba

I find it interesting that no one's commented on Premier Pro (which isn't really). My headline means "Anything but Adobe".

To put it into perspective, I started using Premier a dozen years ago and have watched the product grow and mature. Then I watched it get big and fat. Although I know others have found success editing HD with Premier, often paired with Cineform. That success has eluded me, and apparently some others. If you're doing cuts only... and nothing else... PP can work just fine. Start cranking in some effects or anything tricky, like multi-cam editing, and PP will crumble.

Premier is just way too finicky and spastic for me to spend any more money to Adobe for future releases.

Avid, Speed Edit, FCP are all fine choices and I'll leave it to others to tout their merits. The buzz on Speed Edit has me interested.

Les Wilson July 13th, 2008 09:56 PM

I have both a Mac tower and a Macbook Pro running Final Cut Studio. THe MacBook Pro and Final Cut Studio fits your budget and leaves room for an external Firewire drive and some accessories like a Contour Shuttle pro. I went with the 250gb 5400rpm internal drive on the MBP. It works fine.

Marcel D. Van Someren July 13th, 2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 906830)
Does "speed edit" perform as they tell on their site? It looks very responsive on their demo and having a storyboard to quickly move clips around is a really useful feature, that should be something every serious editprogram should have.

Yes, it pretty much is just as you see it on the site. If you've never edited that way, it might take a bit of getting used to. But having both the storyboard view and timeline view open at the same time makes things a snap. It becomes very intuitive.

Matthew Ebenezer July 14th, 2008 07:30 AM

Hey Steven,

I've been using Premiere Pro 2.0 with Cineform Aspect HD on the PC quite successfully since I bought my A1 a few months ago. All my HD videos on my Vimeo are edited with the above. Here's the link if you want to check them out: http://www.vimeo.com/neezer/videos

Recently I bought a Macbook Pro and have been running the above software in Bootcamp without any major dramas. As you mentioned the main issue is storage space - with a 100Gb partition I could only capture about 3 hours of footage and the drive was full.

I'd suggest downloading some trial versions and giving it a go. It's a big decision and one that you'll want to really get right.

Cheers,

Matthew.

John Estcourt July 14th, 2008 08:56 AM

heres a vote for sony vegas 8 and cineform..great for audio as well as it integrates with soundforge. running on an intel quad core with vista 64...hopefully soon to be vegas 64 bit.
zero probs native hdv or cineform. works with 25p even better than 50i

John B. Nelson July 14th, 2008 02:01 PM

No demo for speededit

Never heard of SpeedEdit until this thread. Sounded very interesting but when I went to newtek's site, couldn't find a demo of SpeedEdit. Do they offer one? I don't think I want to spend $495.00 on an application without trying it out first.

-John