Internsity pro or grassvalley ADVC 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Internsity pro or grassvalley ADVC 55

Hi I need to convert a lot of analog videomaterial (hi8 VHS etc etc).
Now i'm planning to buy the internsity pro card of the grassvalley ADVC55.

Does anyone have some experience using the one ore the other?
How about the quality, offcourse it depends on the source material,
but which one of the two products does deliver the best overal quality from
analog sources?

I know the ADVC55 has an audio sinq build in. Does the intensity also have this abbilty?
The problem from analog sources is mostly that the audio is out of its place.

Anyone can share his experience?
Rob Willemse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Like I said in the other thread, for better chroma sampling, get the Intensity Pro. But it looks like you need lipsyncing capability. The Intensity Pro doesn't look like it has it. You have to do it in post/editing to sync the audio. It looks like the ADVC55 is cheaper than the Intensity Pro too.

I don't really think you need the Intensity Pro since all you need is to retain VHS and Hi8 quality. Since the chroma of consumer video is quite low, upgrading to 4:2:2 won't make much of a difference. Go for the ADVC55.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A far better solution is to get an old digital 8 Sony camcorder. Since some of the tapes you have to digitize are in the analog 8 or Hi8 format, the digi8 camcorder will play them at the same exact quality (if not better) than an analog 8mm camcorder. Sony camcorders can also be used to digitize external video, just connect your VHS or other player to the camcorder. Analog audio/video in > digital (firewire) out.

You will NEVER have any audio sync issues. I'm not sure how many of these old Hi8 cameras might still be around in Europe, but over here in the States you can pick one up for $100-200, pretty much the price of a good quality capture card.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm with Ervin. I use a Digi8 camera to convert analog video. It's easy and the quality is certainly good enough (essentially it's overkill for converting VHS and the like).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, this could work with VHS too since you can set it to AV-DV to make the video out into a video in.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions