Who Would You Have Build Your Workstation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Who Would You Have Build Your Workstation?

I've searched and found a lot of great info but I'm not a computer builder and don't really have the time to become one just yet.

Where would you go/have you gone to have a workstation built? Pc platform, laptop would be okay and maybe even preferred. It will need to be able to handle HD.

All help is appreciated!
Ron Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Trustee

I would build it myself, but in your situation, both geographically and your position, I would Google for Guy Graphics. He has a very good reputation and excellent service, from what I have heard.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I finally got tired of the standard Dells and Gateways (customer service has really declined in the past couple of years) so last year when it came time to build my video editing computer I did a lot of research and ended up going with Puget Custom Computers. They are very knowledgeable and helpful and built my system in a couple of days. I have been very happy with the system. I really like the idea of being able to call and talk to a real person (without being put on hold). If they are busy, they have always gotten back to me very quickly.

I'd definitely recommend you check out their website and go through the configuration process and talk to them. There's nothing to lose by doing that.
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've been toying with the idea of custom building PCs again (aside for just myself, family and friends) on a small scale, with high quality/reliability components.

If you want high quality hardware, custom built is the way to go (with a builder that knows what parts really are high quality). If you just want a PC built with low cost hardware, then one of the big manufacturers is the way to go. There's just no way for a custom builder to compete in that arena.

When you say "able to handle HD", that's sort of broad. What editor you want to use, etc., makes a difference.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I've not settled on software yet and am still poking around on that one. I'll need something that can edit the Canon 24p.
Ron Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Trustee

I will be using avadirect.com. A company with stellar quality and customer service. Check resellerratings.com at http://www.resellerratings.com/store/AVA_Direct.

The can build you a workstation with the highest quality parts that you pick.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Vision Computers here in Metro Atlanta.

http://www.visioncomputers.com/ - They have good reputation.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Building your own computer is not a difficult task. But if you're put off with that idea, my suggestion would be to purchase a gamer's computer via your local Craigslist. They usually spring for the best/fastest parts, and then can't afford to keep them...or feel the need to upgrade every few months. Failing that, you can always contact one of these experience computer builders and ask for a quote. Buy the parts online and have him come by to put it all together. Shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours (to assemble and load drivers). If its some 18year-old with 10 computers of experience, you've got it made for a Benjamin (plus some Red Bull). And you'll have someone to call when it goes KABLOOEY!

Do yourself a huge favor and research the parts ahead of time. PC Review, Toms Hardware, and lots of other sites do a comprehensive product test. You'll have a bulletproof system that should last much longer than a typical off-the-shelf unit.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

For reliability, the single most important component is the (often overlooked) power supply. I strongly recommend using a Corsair power supply. Every power supply that Corsair makes gets downright excellent feedback at Newegg. I don't think there is another power supply maker that is nearly that consistent across their entire line. Pricing is quite reasonable too.

Hard drive cooling is often rather poor in many computer cases. This is one case that provides good cooling for the hard drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I would suggest CyberPowerPc.com. I have bought both a desktop (minitower) and a laptop from them. Good pricing and good machines.

What I like best is you can start with a basic and then customize the crap out of it. They test it, burn it in and ship it to you.

Go to their web site and look around.

Jeff
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #11
Inner Circle

the only interest ot have a pc built for/by you , is that it can be tailored to your needs.
in that case, you need to first make a list of your needs and requirement.
laptop,destop (why ?)
big screen ? disk capacity, performance level (versus price).
i built hundred of computers and each time it is a different story.
people always start to say they want the best, and when you review parts and price, they always choose the cheapest one.
Today even by purchasing a standard computer you will get a lot of power.
the only thing is to match hardware, software and workflow.

for example, i would not recommend pc made for gamers, since they use overpriced video card not usefull for video editing.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Goodness gracious! I thought that would be easy. Boxx, of course! Having spent too much time with too many Dells and a few HPs that either don't work from the beginning or that require constant dozens of hours to keep them running, I purchased a Boxx workstation almost two years ago. Between its great design for just what I want for editing and associated ventures, its utter reliability (well tested, with top quality components and great design), and its awesome three year service program (have contacted them numerous times for the most helpful technical advice regarding my programs, and increasing their efficiency and effectiveness) whereby everyone of their tech help has been knowledgeable and responsive, offering assistance way beyond the pale, they are my company for well into the future!
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

"BARTLEY W. CAVANAUGH" <bartley3@pacbell.net>
he did a great job for me when i needed a workstation
he has a web address but i can't find it just now
email him
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM   #14
Regular Crew

not to poo on building your own, as I am a fan. I would never build my own editing PC. There is something to be said for having somethign that is tested by the company and is certified to work....when it doesnt you get to call and gripe at the company who made it, or the software company instead of the problem being blamed on you. I know AVID will not support a home built solution, and if they know you built it yourself they will say its your hardware everytime. AVID is not the only one, but they are the main company that come to mind.
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions