DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   HDVSplit won't capture? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/128284-hdvsplit-wont-capture.html)

David Beisner August 19th, 2008 12:15 PM

HDVSplit won't capture?

I recently downloaded and installed HDVSplit since Premiere can't do scene detection with my XHA1. When I open the program and begin to do capture, it'll run a little less than a second before stopping and flashing a notice that it has stopped receiving information from the camera. At one point it ran for about 45 secs before the program simply crashed. I'm able to capture video just fine from that camera into Premiere, so I know it's not my cable or connection.

I'm running an Intel Quad Core at 2.4GHz, 4GB of Ram, and 2TB of SATA RAID 0 as my capture drive.

Any ideas on fixing the problem?

Robert M Wright August 20th, 2008 07:03 AM

Have you tried splitting an already captured .m2t file?

Tony VanDemark August 26th, 2008 04:33 PM

ok - so a $800 software can't do what?

Is it just me, or is it crazy that a free utility can do a better job of capturing scene detections than an $800 one?

I have never had an issue with capturing off of my XH A1's into HDVSplit (even in Vista - lol).

If you have any issues, I would get a fresh copy of HDVSplit and remove/delete the old one. Also... If you have another pc to test with ??? - that would let you know if your registry or something else is corrupt.

David Beisner August 27th, 2008 06:31 AM

Yeah, I just tried it again this morning and it died on me again after the first 45 seconds of capture... also, is it normal for Windows to throw up the warning that it's not a recognized program security certificate every time I open it? Usually I would see that once when I install the program and then never see it again. But I see it every time I open the program. It was installed by the IT staff at my work so I'm not certain they installed it properly. I'll see if they'll uninstall it and re-install it for me.

Mike Gunter August 27th, 2008 06:54 AM

Hi David,

Did they Install it as "Administrator"?

For all users? And how are the drives for video set up?

My best,

Mike

David Beisner August 27th, 2008 02:50 PM

I'm guessing they didn't install it for my username... I've found that half my Adobe suite, all the Microsoft Office products, the DVD BURNER OF ALL THINGS, and several other random software products didn't get properly installed in this computer with the right permissions.

As far as the drives go, I've got a 500GB IDE PATA drive as my OS/Programs drive (they made the call to put my DVD burner on the 4th SATA port instead of the OS drive--very poor decision if you ask me) and then three 750GB SATA drives in a RAID-0 for my video drive.

Mike Gunter August 27th, 2008 03:52 PM

Hi David,

That would likely be a problem with some types of setups.

You might ask your administrator to allow your drives and programs be freely accessible to the editing applications. It sort of only makes sense.

My best.

Mike

John Gerard November 16th, 2009 07:03 PM

HDVsplit will not Recognize Sony FX-7

Hi,

I have a similar problem so I thought I would post here. I have a Sony FX-7 camera and a Dell 490 PC with Premiere Pro CS3. HDsplit usually works great. I have to turn off then on my camera a few times at first to get it to connect but then I have no problems. I am using Beta 0.77. I am trying to import from my camera, DV footage from Panasonic tapes and HDVsplit will not recognize my camera at all. Premiere Pro sees the camera as online but will not let me control the camera from within Premiere Pro. I tried using Nero version 8 as a test and at least Nero will control the camera controls. That's as far as I tested with Nero. I tried reinstalling FFshow and downloading HDVsplit again but nothing is working.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am about to install 64 bit Windows 7 and I hope that works better than Windows XP. One other thought, I usually try to disable every freak'n (spelling) service so maybe I disabled one that I should not have. But I did re-enabled all services in MScomfig and that did not help except that windows did start to recognize the camera in the OS which it was not doing before.

Thanks,

John Gerard

Harm Millaard November 17th, 2009 05:38 AM

For HDVSplit you don't need FFDShow at all, in fact I advise against installing FFDShow, because it has caused a lot of problems on various systems.

Jon Shohet November 17th, 2009 03:22 PM

Hi Harm, could you elaborate?
I have been running ffdshow, both 32 and 64 bit versions, on numerous machines over the last few years and have never noticed any problems associated with it.

Harm Millaard November 18th, 2009 04:32 AM

Jon,

I have had mysterious freezes when I had FFDShow installed. Once removed, no more mysterious freezes and no diminished functionality from HDVSplit. Now, if it was just me, I could say that I was just unlucky, but on the Adobe forums one often reads about all kinds of weird behavior, that disappears once FFDShow is removed. There is one caveat: Often it appears to be the combination of FFDShow and the K-Lite codec pack, which is one of the most reliable ways to really mess up a system beyond recognition.

Jon Shohet November 18th, 2009 05:23 AM

Well, k-lite already includes ffdshow, so installing ffdshow again on top of that really makes no sense. I'd still go for the standalone official installations of ffdshow+matroska splitter over installing k-lite if had to choose between them.
cheers.