DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Suggested Video Editing software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/128777-suggested-video-editing-software.html)

Tony VanDemark August 26th, 2008 03:45 PM

Suggested Video Editing software

Hi there -

I have been reading these forums for some time now and finally decided to post. As much as I have read (and just going to a WEVA trade show), I have really still had a hard time deciding on a "real" editing suite.

Is it just me - or are there really quite a few issues in running the Adboe suite? All I read about are all the gotchas in using HDV footage and sound/sunch issues, etc.

I come from a background in IT, so software packages do not really scare me, but I have to admit that Adobe looks like quite the beast. As much as I like the after affects stuff, I am wondering if anyone has had a relatively good experience (stability and learning curve) with another editing suite.

As a reference, I downloaded Edius (trial) and when I tried to use the first plug-in for an effect, it was - well a pain. It must just be me?

What I want out of a suite:

1) relatively easy ability to apply professional affects and transitions (like that one where it looks like the subject is blinded - and then the whole screen becomes blinded / lit up - then off to the next scene... what the heck is that called anyways?

2) Titling - This is huge for me. I feel like this can really seperate a good first impression from a boring start to a flick. Again, a good software or good 3rd party app that is relatively easy to learn and apply some kick-a** stuff.

3) Ability to max out your pc when rendering an affect and/or rendering your final project. I have a Q9450 and it flies. I don't want it to crawl along like my Avid Liquid apparently is (does not push all 4 cpu's too well).

Additional comments:
I liked the demo I saw of the Matrox Xt2 card or whatever its called - (safeharbor had a booth). But - there again, it was inside of Adobe... ! The rendering on 1920X1080 footage was incredibly quick and the output to an HD monitor on the fly was very impressive!

I have used Pinnacle for many years before I made the professional leap here, and now I recently upgraded that to Avid Liquid. Any time I mention that to anyone, they just groan...

Help out the editing newbie!

Thanks,
Tony

Mike Gunter August 26th, 2008 04:02 PM

Hi Tony,

Most folks will generally steer you to what they are comfortable with, so take anything any of us say with that in mind.

Adobe, Vegas, Avid, any of the software, is fairly capable of editing HDV. It's pretty easy. Vegas gets points for being user friendly. Adobe is very good for being mostly real time. Edius hangs in there, too.

For someone who is just getting into the game, I think I'd go the path of least effort, and that would Vegas. For the least investment you get the editor and DVD creator and can do first rate work and can do it on a budget computer. Download a copy and see if it works for you.

If not, download some of the other brands and give them a go, too.

My best,

Mike

Chris Barcellos August 26th, 2008 05:02 PM

I used Pinnacle Studio many years back, then bought their ProOne board, which brought me into Adobe Premiere 6. I've upgraded all along, through Pro 2.0, and I swore by it... After hearing a bunch of noise about Vegas, I looked at their stripped version Movie Studio, and began to like the GUI. I then upgraded, Vegas 6, 7 and now 8.

Every now an then I go back to Premiere to try a trick, but I always come back to Vegas to do main work.... don't know why, except it seems much simpler, once I got used to it. One problem I had with it initially, is I thought there should be more to it,, but as I learned to use it, I realized almost everything I had in Premiere, was in this application too.

Richard Gooderick August 27th, 2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony VanDemark (Post 925269)
3) Ability to max out your pc when rendering an affect and/or rendering your final project. I have a Q9450 and it flies. I don't want it to crawl along like my Avid Liquid apparently is (does not push all 4 cpu's too well).

I have used Pinnacle for many years before I made the professional leap here, and now I recently upgraded that to Avid Liquid. Any time I mention that to anyone, they just groan...

I use Liquid and I'm not groaning. I don't know what you are talking about when you say it crawls along. It renders in the background which saves a lot of waiting time if that's what you mean.
Slagging off products isn't the best way to get started in choosing an NLE.
An open mind is a useful starting point.