Need PC based NLE advice!!! :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need PC based NLE advice!!! :)

I'm about to drop some serious scrilla on the following components to build my next NLE, but before I do, I want to run it by you guys (the experts) and see what you all might have to say.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLMAX CUQ-1200B 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

Matrox RT.X2 LE PCI Express x1 Workstation Video Card

PNY VCQFX3700-PCIE-PB Quadro FX3700 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Workstation Video Card

SIIG 1394 3-port PCI Card Model NN-440012-S8

( x3 ) OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600EB4GK

( x4 ) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Logitech 920-000264 Black USB Cordless Ergonomics Desktop Wave Mouse Included

LG W2452T-TF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GGC-H20L

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 English for System Builders 1 Pack CD

powercom KIN-2200AP 2200VA 1320 W UPS

Off the bat, I have a couple of questions. With the RT.X2, will I even need the additional video card? I wouldn't mind saving that $850 if it isn't needed. Or would I be better off ditching the RT.X2 in favor of the PNY card? This is a grey area for me right now. Also, I will be doing some audio production work, but I plan to put together a separate workstation for that. So, with that in mind, shouldn't the on-board sound suffice? I would like to use the Adobe Production Premium Ultra package, but I've been hearing great things about Vegas as well, so I'm a little torn. I plan to shoot with a Panasonic AG-HVX200A, tapeless, with a Firestore FS-4HD, and I have heard of issues with the M2T files that are subsequently created. I have no intention of upgrading the FS-4HD to the Pro model, so I'd like to see what I can work with here. Any advice or suggestions?

On a side note, has anyone out there had any experience with the native 64 bit NLE that runs under Linux called "Cinelara"? I haven't tried it out yet, and I don't personally know anyone who has. But it's free, and seems to be full featured. And they've just released version 4, I think. Could be worth giving some serious consideration, eh?

Thanks,

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Tyler Durden
Brian Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Trustee

The Quadro 3700 is overkill unless you are heavy into 3D modeling. Otherwise look at an ATI 4870. Why a total of 3x 4GB = 12 GB RAM? 4 GB is sufficient. Anything more is wasted with XP Pro, unless you are looking at the 64 bit version.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I do quite a bit of modeling with both AutoCAD and 3DStudio, but perhaps not to the extent to warrant that purchase? Or perhaps an additional workstation would be a more reasonable solution for my modeling work? I also plan on doing a lot of composite work, keying and such, and this card was reported to handle that effectively. But I'll look into that ATI card.

Oh, and as for the RAM... Yeah, I would eventually like to try out XP Pro 64, but I'm also planning to dual boot with Linux right away and give Cinelara a try. I'm most likely going to increase the amount of RAM incrementally for financial reasons (as with the HDDs), but I do plan on hitting that 12GB mark.

Thank you for your input, Harm.

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Tyler Durden
Brian Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Tourist

similar system different requirements...

I just spec'd out and am presently having built a system similar to your listing:

Q9550, Intel DX48BT2, nVidia GTX 260 xxx, Antec 1200 case w/Antec Quattro 850 PSU, however, I'm using 4 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA drives in a RAID 10 config. This gives me speed and security.

I'm building with 8 GB Corsair RAM at 1333MHz and using win XP Pro x64.

You had best check your OS a little better before you lay your money down as Win XP is a 32 bit OS and will only address 4GB of RAM - max.

There is no upgrade path from Win XP to x64, so you will have to totally reformat your drives.
William Meredith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions