DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   First step into HDV editing (help please) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/134544-first-step-into-hdv-editing-help-please.html)

James Strange September 24th, 2008 06:39 AM

First step into HDV editing (help please)

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

I mainly shoot weddings (in SD), my workflow is as follows.

Capture and edit using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 (incl colour correction)

Export certian shots as avi, Use after effects for (slomo, speed ramps etc....) then bring them back into premiere.

Export final cut as a .avi.

Use main concept MPEG encoder to create an mpeg2 file from .avi

then use ulead dvd workshop 2 to create DVD from the mpeg2 (menus, other audio tracks, subtitles etc...) this gives me a nivce master DVD copy and an iso image file for backup/burning extra copies.

I also export the final cut to mini DV tape as a backup.

This workflow might seem strange to people, but thats the software I have and my philosohpy is 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'

then HDV came along.

I now want to shoot in HDV, create blu ray copies as well as regular DVD copies.

I have the cameras (FX7 + HC-1)

Looking for advice from the wonderful minds on ths forum on the changes I'll need to make to my workflow.

My current editing PC is:

Pentium 4, 3ghz HT
3gig Ram.
2X 500gig sata drives
2X 500gig extarnal (usb) drives

I know I'll need to get a bluray burner (looking at the pioneer 202) but will my curretn system be up to editing HDV?

To recap, what would the HDV equivelant be of:

PPROCS3 > MAIN CONCEPT MPEG ENCODER > ULEAD DVD WORKSHOP 2 + EXPORT TO MINI dv TAPE AS A BACKUP

As always thanks in advance for any of your help.

James

Adam Gold September 24th, 2008 12:36 PM

There are much smarter people on this board than I, but until they weigh in here are my thoughts:

Your chip might be a bit underpowered for HDV in CS3. RAM is okay, but Adobe specifically says not to try to edit using external disks, because the interface is too slow. But people do so without complaint, so it might work.

I had a similar PC until I upgraded, and I found that using Cineform Aspect HD greatly simplified everything. Do everything in Premiere with a Cineform preset, including rendering. Use Encore for burning. No extra software needed. Encore makes great Blu-Ray discs.

Others will have different thoughts.

Joel Corral October 23rd, 2008 11:23 AM

first off you processor might be ok...its kinda old.... but it might be ok.....
second why are you going from Ppro and exporting to Ulead? Thats like trying to walk a stright line while closing your eyes and walking backwards.....You could do it that way but why not do it the easy way and walk forwards with your eyes open?

To make it much more simple and a way better work-flow you should if you can afford to stick with the Adobe Production CS suite there is version 4 now... that way you can edit HDV seamlessly with all the products in their suite.... i.e. export straight from your time line into Encore and create/design Blu-ray Discs. Need to make a menu? np...just load up template and edit the menu inside Photoshop... i am sure this isn't the first time you heard this.... this is really the best route to go working any any format..... Been doing this with HDV workflow since the inception of HDV.... One thing if you know Ppro you know adobe...thats what make Adobe awsome all their apps have the same U.I and all feel the same...

Joel