DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   PC case recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/137950-pc-case-recommendation.html)

Jeff Anselmo November 17th, 2008 10:53 PM

PC case recommendation

Hi folks,

Been wanting to upgrade my PC for a bit and just been researching components here and there, then saw an advert for the new Intel Core i7s. I understand that these new CPUs need new motherboards, like the new Asus P6T Deluxe LGA found on Newegg:

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Being a newb at PC components (might build my next upgrade, but will definitely be assisted by a pro), my question is can these new mobo's fit into any ATX type cases?

Thanks for any and all info,

Chris Soucy November 17th, 2008 11:45 PM

Hi Jeff.......

As your description says, it's an ATX board, which will fit into any ATX case.

The problem won't be with the board, but all the other bells and whistles you try to stuff into the box along with it.

How many hard drives? 1? 3? 10?

PSU's? 1? 2?

Opticals? 1? 2? 4?

Firewire/ USB ports?

Fans?

Etc, etc, etc.

I specified a Coolermaster CM Stacker for my last system and will probably use the same case for the next one.

It's got room for about 10 HDD, 2 PSU's, 2 opticals, 6 USB on the front plus a Firewire plus sheds more on the back and enough controlled speed fans (including a massive 12 inch centrigugal) to cool a nuclear power station.

It is, however, massive. No mistake. But what a case!

The closest they seem to do now is this one:

CM Stacker 830 NVIDIA Edition - Cooler Master

which doesn't appear to be a slouch in it's own right.

Guess it all depends on just what sort of system you configure and how much real estate you need.

Oh, and what you can afford, too.

CS

Jeff Anselmo November 18th, 2008 12:07 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Just what I thought about the ATX board/case issue, but want to make sure.

You're definitely right about the other "bells and whistles" I'm wanting to add to the upgrade, and may need the additional real estate like you mentioned. Those Cooler Master cases might be what I'm looking for.

Trying to have a budget of under $2000 (minus the monitor) but may have to shell out a few more bucks to get the "ideal" PC upgrade.

BTW, do you have the model number of the Cooler Master case you're using?

Thanks again,

Chris Soucy November 18th, 2008 12:26 AM

Hi......

Yep, just dug out the original quote for my existing system (all 4 pages of it!).

It's a Coolermaster CM Stacker STC - T01, tho' unless I'm mistaken, it's been discontinued.

Not suprising as it's gotta be 2 1/2 years old (practically an antique in the PC game).

It's designed to take a BTX board if need be, tho' I assume BTX has bitten the dust, so such a big case is no longer relevant (BTX is/was about twice the size of an ATX board from memory).

Still, it's a thing of awesome beauty if you have the space for it, and built like a tank to boot.

Tho' if you don't need a system that dims the lights in the entire neighbourhood every time it's turned on (as mine does), it's possibly a tad on the big side.

CS

Jeff Anselmo November 18th, 2008 12:39 AM

Hi Chris,

Just been checking out the Cooler Master Stacker cases on Newegg, and they're listed as full tower cases; but again, the extra space might just be what I'll need.

I'm thinking at least a 4 HDD setup, one to use for the OS/programs, and the rest for capture/scratch disks. Still learning whether or not to setup a RAID array(?).

Would like to have a BD-burner, but will wait and settle for 2 DVD burners for now.

Also would like to have just one graphics card, at least running 512MB.

And I'm sure the grocery list will grow in the future :)

Best,

Chris Soucy November 18th, 2008 12:56 AM

Well..........

Only you know what you want the beast to actually do.

Mine was set up to be a "good all rounder", based on the available technology at the time.

Twin processor, two 250 gig mirrored drives for the OS, two 500 gig striped drives for the "big stuff", decent graphics etc.

Pretty small beer now but pretty mind boggling in little 'ol Dunedin when I was trying to get it built.

Still runs like a top and as solid as a rock.

Wouldn't want to edit and render Star Wars on it tho'.

Good luck on the new machine.

CS

Steven Reid November 18th, 2008 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 965187)
Hi folks,

Been wanting to upgrade my PC for a bit and just been researching components here and there, then saw an advert for the new Intel Core i7s. I understand that these new CPUs need new motherboards, like the new Asus P6T Deluxe LGA found on Newegg:

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Being a newb at PC components (might build my next upgrade, but will definitely be assisted by a pro), my question is can these new mobo's fit into any ATX type cases?

Thanks for any and all info,

Jeff,
Thought I'd toss another suggestion into your hat, based upon my recent first build experience (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/non-linea...diting-pc.html): Lian-Li PC-A70B. It's pricey, but the Cadillac of cases. Very large, extremely well built, non-imposing looks, and ventilated with an air filter.

Steve

Jeff Harper November 18th, 2008 09:25 AM

My new case is the best I've ever owned for cooling and size, and accoustics. Accomdates large PSUs on top or bottom (or both) and is inexpensive. Not as nice as Stephan's case, but less than half the cost.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Jeff Anselmo November 18th, 2008 03:07 PM

Hi Steven,

Thanks for that link! I too will be upgrading from a Dell (Dimension 8400), which has been really good for SD projects and burning SD-DVDs. But like you, I also want to future proof (at least for a couple of days :) for when I want to upgrade to HD (currently shooting with the Canon XL2, but bought an HV30, mostly for vacation/family stuff).

I've been sorta following other poster's lists, plus the Videoguy's DIY 6 list (though it's old in tech time), but will look closely at your spec list.

Currently, we run the Adobe Production Suite (CS2), and would also like to upgrade to CS4 along with the PC upgrade. Will have to find out if Vista 64bit plays along with CS4.

Best,

Jeff Anselmo November 18th, 2008 03:46 PM

Hi Jeff H.,

I checked out that Cooler Master case, and I do like that it has an eSata port at the front. (And alot sexier than the Lian Li, might make the wife jealous :)

Best,

Andy Tejral November 18th, 2008 04:31 PM

I got me a Antec P182. Lots of space and is extremely quiet (very important for me). I bought it from Amazon--free shipping.

Daniel Browning November 18th, 2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 965544)
I got me a Antec P182. Lots of space and is extremely quiet (very important for me). I bought it from Amazon--free shipping.

I have the earlier P180 and also like it very much. I've got eight hard drives in there and it's still very quiet.

Steven Reid November 19th, 2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 965530)
(And alot sexier than the Lian Li, might make the wife jealous :)

Well, that is certainly a matter of, um, personal taste. My editing "bay" is a little alcove, where I intended to expose only my monitor, desk, and case. All of them are black, so as to not provide distractions. Real clean and simple. I just wasn't into green neon doo-dads inside of my case. Even so, my wife missed me for an entire weekend while I stuffed components into the case. :)

Steve

Jeff Anselmo November 21st, 2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Reid (Post 966010)
Well, that is certainly a matter of, um, personal taste. My editing "bay" is a little alcove, where I intended to expose only my monitor, desk, and case. All of them are black, so as to not provide distractions. Real clean and simple. I just wasn't into green neon doo-dads inside of my case. Even so, my wife missed me for an entire weekend while I stuffed components into the case. :)

Hi Steven,

I want the special-cool looking blue led fans to hypnotize me whilst I wait for my Star Wars epic to render (big ups to Chris S. for that one)!

How do I balance form vs. function? On a budget? I gotta keep shopping...

Jeff Anselmo November 21st, 2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Reid (Post 966010)

Hi Steven,

I want the special-cool looking blue led fans to hypnotize me whilst I wait for my Star Wars epic to render (big ups to Chris S. for that one)!

How do I balance form vs. function? On a budget? I gotta keep shopping...